New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Mar 29, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #7,501 of 8,377
I just received my universal Layla today, so this is just my first impression, Initially I was like "meh" sounds like my Roxanne, but the more I listen the more these Laylaa are impressing me. To my ears they do everything the Roxanne does, but sharper, clearer and overall better. The base even seems more defined consise and sharper (though I know this should not be the case since the Roxanne was already perfect in the base department)

Take this with a grain of salt though, my opinion might be skewed with new toy syndrome

Hi. I have the Roxannes but, like a lot of us, I'm eyeing the Layla. Your impression fits what most people say about better clarity and definition. I do find the Roxannes dark. Could you compare soundstage. Are the Laylas about the same as the Roxannes in terms of width/depth size, imaging, and separation? Are they similar but slightly better? Or, are they a definite jump in soundstage size an 3D imaging? 

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #7,502 of 8,377
Hi. I have the Roxannes but, like a lot of us, I'm eyeing the Layla. Your impression fits what most people say about better clarity and definition. I do find the Roxannes dark. Could you compare soundstage. Are the Laylas about the same as the Roxannes in terms of width/depth size, imaging, and separation? Are they similar but slightly better? Or, are they a definite jump in soundstage size an 3D imaging? 

Thanks!

Sorry it took awhile to get back to you, I recieved my ZX2 and have been devoting time to enjoying it's perfection.

In all honesty, yes the sound stage on the layla in size and width, but if we are being completely honest, the Roxanne sound stage was already top of the line, and I highly doubt you could possibly tell a difference between the 2 in that category.

The Laylas are the single best IEM I have ever heard, but to be fair, since I recieved my ZX2, the Roxannes have become a new monster all together, and I am now actually prefer if them.

I will be calling in toe return my Universal Laylas tomorrow and will either et a pair of K10 universals or (more likely) get the Laylas in my custom mold

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #7,503 of 8,377
Sorry it took awhile to get back to you, I recieved my ZX2 and have been devoting time to enjoying it's perfection.

In all honesty, yes the sound stage on the layla in size and width, but if we are being completely honest, the Roxanne sound stage was already top of the line, and I highly doubt you could possibly tell a difference between the 2 in that category.

The Laylas are the single best IEM I have ever heard, but to be fair, since I recieved my ZX2, the Roxannes have become a new monster all together, and I am now actually prefer if them.

I will be calling in toe return my Universal Laylas tomorrow and will either et a pair of K10 universals or (more likely) get the Laylas in my custom mold

Can Try it with a chord hugo. It brings out mine to a good level.

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #7,505 of 8,377
As for me still considering K10 custom or universal with Layla custom. Not sure which one to go for majority preference music are jazz and classical.

Any suggestions from anyone?

In this case you should aim for accuracy, so Layla wins here.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #7,506 of 8,377
I did went to a shop in HK to try on the Layla and the sound have great details with width sound stage.

However compare to Roxanne custom replace with better cabling actually not far behind from Layla universal. But overall compare still Layla universal is a winner here.

As you mention details are ...superb some peoples might not like it. Depends on individual preferences.

I believe Layla custom will sounds better overall compare to universal. Still not available in Hong Kong for Layla custom.

Maybe will consider the Layla universal as JH nowadays taking ages for getting their custom earphones.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #7,509 of 8,377
"Better cabling"?so there are already aftermarket cable for roxanne?

There are either some 3rd party cables for the Roxanne already on the market, or are in the final stages of testing. I know of one Head-Fi'er (Mimouille) who has an aftermarket cable for his Roxanne.

From Toxic Cables -

From Double Helix Cables -

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #7,511 of 8,377
I think they're still waiting connectors from jh.

For DHC, yeah, but Toxic Cables has a production cable already on the market. I mean, they have to be, since at least one Head-Fi'er has one.

Besides, Lunashops has a Roxanne cable in stock. Looks pretty good, too.

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #7,514 of 8,377
Hmm, that Lunashops cable looks pretty interesting actually, and ready to ship now.  I know the wait on TC and DHC is very long-8-12 weeks.  DHC isn't supposed to get the connectors for about about a month before they officially become available.  Otherwise, I'm interested in the DHC Symbiote SP flagship cable.  I'm not patient at all about these type of things.  Also I hope nobody minds me posting prices.  Toxic Silver Widow was going for around $600, DHC Symbiote SP around $400, and that Luna Shops cable is $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back