New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jun 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #6,316 of 8,377
Is the Etymotic ER4 better than the Roxanne?

A guy on another forum keeps insisting it's better.

There's people who think ER4 is the ultimate regardless - that any multi-driver IEM is some sort of compromise.

As a former ER4 owner, which I used exclusively for nearly 2 years for portable use (granted that was nearly 10 years ago) I find that rather silly, but to each their own.  I still have some HF2s which apparently are ilke the ER4s with less stringently matched drivers - and the difference in realism is crazy, no contest.

Jun 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #6,317 of 8,377
The ER4S is a lot better than the HF-3. I own both.

while some claims about the ER4S are over the top. I put them on the same level as the Roxanne's. They have better detail, clarity, speed and are more neutral. The Roxanne's have more extended bass, bigger soundstage and are more musical.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #6,318 of 8,377
The ER4S is a lot better than the HF-3. I own both.

while some claims about the ER4S are over the top. I put them on the same level as the Roxanne's. They have better detail, clarity, speed and are more neutral. The Roxanne's have more extended bass, bigger soundstage and are more musical.

I strongly disagree regarding the ER4S (which I had the pleasure of listening to for quite sometime before giving it back to a friend).

The ER4S are for the most part bass anemic, and NO WHERE near as fast as the Roxanne's in like any department whatsoever (I wouldn't put the ER4S on the level of the JH13 or 16s either for that matter).

Different class of IEM entirely.

They are definitely fairly neutral in FR - Ety's claim to fame. But of course, not everybody likes that flavor of vanilla.

Rob, have you thought about just selling your Roxanne's? I mean if you don't like them, you don't like them. No big deal.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #6,319 of 8,377
Why would I sell my custom Roxannes? Are there companies doing second hand remolds? I don't understand why you'd ask that. Are you upset at my opinion on the ER4S? And, where did I say that I didn't like them? I do like the sound. It's a bit on the dark side and the rolled off highs aren't my usual preference, but I'll be keeping and enjoying these for a long time to come along with my ER4S. 

We just have a different opinion and preferences, that's all. No need to get upset about it 
cool.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #6,320 of 8,377
Most people who have tried an Etymotic have never really heard how it sounds.

I put the HF3 and ER4S up with the best phones I've heard. But the rule of thumb is that if it doesn't feel like the fit is ripping your inner ears apart the first time, they're not deep enough.

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #6,322 of 8,377
Why would I sell my custom Roxannes? Are there companies doing second hand remolds? I don't understand why you'd ask that. Are you upset at my opinion on the ER4S? And, where did I say that I didn't like them? I do like the sound. It's a bit on the dark side and the rolled off highs aren't my usual preference, but I'll be keeping and enjoying these for a long time to come along with my ER4S. 

We just have a different opinion and preferences, that's all. No need to get upset about it :cool:  

You seem in general not thrilled by them. That's fine.

I know you've gone through a lot and I'm not sure if that's part of it or it's just that you think they sound like a $300 IEM, which is also fine.

I believe there is some discussion about companies who do remolding so yes, you could look into that and sell them.

My comments regarding the Etymotics still stand though as a corollary. I don't think the two are even close...like remotely close....at this point I am actually wondering if you still have a fit issue or something else is afoot.

Anyone else have heard the Roxanne's (universal or custom) and the Etymotics and want to chime in on how they compare?

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #6,324 of 8,377
My comments regarding the Etymotics still stand though as a corollary. I don't think the two are even close...like remotely close....at this point I am actually wondering if you still have a fit issue or something else is afoot.

Or that's simply my opinion on two IEMs that I own. I think you might be over thinking this a bit. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #6,327 of 8,377
  Most people who have tried an Etymotic have never really heard how it sounds.

I put the HF3 and ER4S up with the best phones I've heard. But the rule of thumb is that if it doesn't feel like the fit is ripping your inner ears apart the first time, they're not deep enough.

Oh, I used them both for years inserted perfectly.  The negative pressure from deep triple-flange insertion was a scary thing indeed - knowing that if you tripped and accidentally yanked the cord, you would likely blow an eardrum.  

Different sound indeed, but same ballpark?  Alrighty, sure...

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #6,329 of 8,377
I have tried ety er4p with custom recabled in local meet before. I found it very good. For an iem it is hard to beat. I can agree with statement that it is an end game iem. full natural sound from high to low. Though without recable i found the high got roll off in some record.

Roxanne is different level imo, I listen to depape one (16 bit wav from cd), i really enjoy the violin play at the background, it is so full and real and easy to be heard even with the lead guitar play. even my full size headphone can not do this. The Roxanne keeps on wowing me. They can reveal a record like nothing before.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #6,330 of 8,377
I'm a long time ER4S user (been thru 3 pairs now) and no the Roxanne is nothing like the Etys.  If you like thumping bass, you won't ever been satisfied with ER4S even if you implement them into your canal.  Having said that, I'm not really a bass head and sound signature wise I do prefer the Etys over that of the Roxanne.  The discomfort (well, an understatement) of properly wearing the ER4S is really the biggest barrier and even after a decade I'm still bothered by using it any longer than say an hour continuously.  I had also tried remolding the Etys into custom shell but it changed the sound so significantly I had to re-buy another pair to use.  I also tried the canal works CW-L05QD which put 4 of the er4 BAs on each side but nope, I find it sound worse - more is not better than less.  I'm a bit perplexed since when we had collectively (me included) fall for spec marketing where price/# of drivers/tech jargons became an "objective ranking/classification" system of quality and anyone who suggest he/she may prefer a "cheaper/lesser/inferior" product is being frown upon.  

I like the Roxanne, I think it really aim for those who need more bass and higher volume as it does these very very well.  It never become shouty or grained when I push the volume up.  Personally I don't use them loud and like more treble presence so for me I'd prefer the JH13fp to the Roxanne. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back