New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Apr 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #5,296 of 8,377
so physics might be simple but we're really talking acoustics here and when I took acoustics there's was nothing simple about it. If you're acoustics class was simple you took the wrong class or you were in the wrong college.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #5,297 of 8,377
I received my new version of black cable, it looks like alum nut to me but I can't be sure. It does feel much stronger though.

Frankly, those who can't wait, instead of fret over it, just don't buy. simple as that. But for those who is patient, you will enjoy better music with it. Remember, it's custom iem, not mass production universal.

It's not the wait, if customers were told in advance the time frame, they will wait patiently.

May 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #5,298 of 8,377
It's an elementary physics problem. There's no reason why a properly designed foam tip couldn't isolate as well as the harder tip used in customs. It should actually isolate better because it's more flexible.

As noted above you guys need to endlessly mess with your customs to get a seal, essentially because it's made of a harder and less compressive material
My CIEM fit perfectly the first time

May 1, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #5,299 of 8,377
It's an elementary physics problem. There's no reason why a properly designed foam tip couldn't isolate as well as the harder tip used in customs. It should actually isolate better because it's more flexible.

As noted above you guys need to endlessly mess with your customs to get a seal, essentially because it's made of a harder and less compressive material

I am definitely going to weigh in on bearFNF's side on this one. whenever someone describes a real world problem as a matter of "simple physics" it always calls to mind the old physicist joke with the punchline "lets first assume we have spherical chickens in a vacuum." what i mean by that is, sure it is easy to reduce a problem to a single physical principal but life is rarely so simple. in this case, sure you could say that if i have a quantity of compressible material (foam in this case), and i have a hole with an internal volume less than the total uncompressed volume of that material (my ear canal) then physics states that the hole must be plugged. what you are not taking into account are the myriad of other factors that also have a bearing on the situation. for example, does my compressible material extend at a universal radius from a central point? if so what happens if the widest part of my ear canal is greater than that radius and the narrowest part is less than the maximum compressibility of the foam will allow? does my compressible material have a surface tension? if so then what if the surface area of my canal has small peaks and valleys that prevent the foam from uncompressing into and filling them? and then there is the matter of what happens to the sound waves once they have entered the ear canal, are they directed at the eardrum? or has the way i inserted the straight bore foam tip resulted in the opening pointing directly at the canal wall? what reflections and destructive interference will that cause? what muting effect does my compressible foam have on my sound wave as it travels through the bore and into my ear? ectera ectera.
I know that some of those points may be a little absurd, but the point i was trying to make is both methods have benefits and drawbacks, the decision to use either of them depends on the acceptable ratio between the benefits and drawbacks for each person.

May 1, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #5,301 of 8,377
The majority issue of custom needing refit is caused by poorly made ear mold impression. This is way more common that the ciem itself is not made to the impression by the earphone maker.

The impression can be poorly made due to:
1. Movement of mouth/jaws/throats etc during the impression
2. Inappropriate (too soft) material for the bite block
3. Inferior molding material used by the audiologist (cost is always a facto for all business)
4. Lack of experience of the audiologist making impression for CIEM (some audiologist makes a lot more hearing aid impression that is usually different than CIEM)
5. The audiologist is simply not skillful or professional about making the impression (happened to me in headphone show where a distributor hire random low cost audiologist who simply rush the jobs as there is a long line for special show pricing).
6. Self-made molds by inexperienced users

Finding a good audiologist is instrumental to getting good fit. That is also why Fitear insist on accepting impressions made by people they trained themselves (as their ciem is acrylic filled and a refit simply means making a new pair).

I demo'ed the universal Rox and wasn't impressed. They protruded too much and made it difficult to get good seal. It just doesn't sound right by a JH flagship standard. I had my fair share of big universals (tg334, 1plus2, UM 3DD) but the uni Rox is just too Mich even for me. If I am buying I will definitely go the custom route even with the long wait.

btw I'm never a fan of foam tips as I hate having compressed foam expanding and pushing so firmly against my ear canal. I mainly uses ortofon type round single flange silicon tips (except for er4s I use the triple flange, and asg2 a double flange).

May 1, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #5,302 of 8,377
4. Lack of experience of the audiologist making impression for CIEM (some audiologist makes a lot more hearing aid impression that is usually different than CIEM)

5. The audiologist is simply not skillful or professional about making the impression (happened to me in headphone show where a distributor hire random low cost audiologist who simply rush the jobs as there is a long line for special show pricing).

This is the most important factor. Always go with the recommended audiologist. I have a JH16 and Roxanne, both impressions taken by the same audiologist and it's a perfect 2 of 2 for me. No fit issues.

I don't think JHAudio can do the fit right if the mold is not good to begin with.

May 1, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #5,303 of 8,377
Meh, I've had as many refits from "recommended" audiologists as I've had from non-recommended. You are just as large a factor: where you relaxed, did you clinch, were you getting a cold, etc. Then the ciem manufacturer has to trim the impressions. Did they trim too much? Then they shape the acrylic and polish it. You can remove too much at both steps. There is room for a bad fit all through the process. I've had plenty come right the first time and plenty take one or two refits. It's a handmade product. As always, YMMV.

May 1, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #5,304 of 8,377

Comply's simply don't isolate as well but Shure foams can. Difference is that the Shure is denser and less porous. It's also less comfortable and becomes more so over the duration of each use. Comply's lose a bit of low bass and can damp the highs. No universal tip including soft foam like Comply will compare in comfort to a properly fit custom and all have a signature.

May 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #5,305 of 8,377
Perhaps the biggest benefit of universals, is that if you go into a head-fi thread for a universal IEM, they're actually talking about the sound of the IEM, instead of devoting 90% of their posts complaining about the many many problems with the preparation, creation, processing time and post-delivery flaws of their customs. See for example the SE846 thread, the IE800 thread and on and on.

Hopefully now that JH is making universal Roxannes, more universal owners will populate this thread and -- perhaps -- we can talk about the sound of the IEM.

This thread is proof that custom IEMs might be the most pointless, useless and indeed time and thought sucking "invention" ever.

May 1, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5,306 of 8,377
Perhaps the biggest benefit of universals, is that if you go into a head-fi thread for a universal IEM, they're actually talking about the sound of the IEM, instead of devoting 90% of their posts complaining about the many many problems with the preparation, creation, processing time and post-delivery flaws of their customs. See for example the SE846 thread, the IE800 thread and on and on.

Hopefully now that JH is making universal Roxannes, more universal owners will populate this thread and -- perhaps -- we can talk about the sound of the IEM.

This thread is proof that custom IEMs might be the most pointless, useless and indeed time and thought sucking "invention" ever.

My UM ciem mentor send in impression at 6th Apr and today I got a call that it's ready for collection :)

May 1, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #5,307 of 8,377
My UM ciem mentor send in impression at 6th Apr and today I got a call that it's ready for collection
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope it works the first time.

I got my universals 2 days after deciding to buy and pay for them. Could have gotten them in one day if I paid for overnight.

May 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #5,308 of 8,377

Really you were able to come up with that conclusion by just reading this thread. You must be something special.

May 1, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #5,309 of 8,377

Crazy

May 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #5,310 of 8,377

Ouch. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back