New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Apr 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #5,283 of 8,377
foam or any tip provides space/room around iem that can allow differences in sound quality. not saying how much or how it can change sq but it is different than having a solid acrylic mass filling your ear canal.foam/tips also absorb sound and or vibrations

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #5,284 of 8,377
Plus its a pain in the @ss compared to customs when inserting and taking out. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #5,285 of 8,377
And like I said I had some tips close off my canal and change the sound. Also, Universal tips don't all ways allow for the tuned ports to work properly depending on how you inserted them. Any extra material has to go somewhere and usually will close off the port to some extent.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #5,287 of 8,377
It's not a black and white issue. I've heard some better customs and better universals. Personally I find both methods extremely competitive now adays. Some people don't get along with customs size and insertions and some with universal, tips and insertion depth. People should just do what's comfortable for themselves.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #5,288 of 8,377
It's an elementary physics problem. There's no reason why a properly designed foam tip couldn't isolate as well as the harder tip used in customs. It should actually isolate better because it's more flexible.

As noted above you guys need to endlessly mess with your customs to get a seal, essentially because it's made of a harder and less compressive material

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #5,289 of 8,377
P.s. an audiologist who makes money from customs isn't really the person to ask. What did you expect her to tell you? "Oh yeah I know you just invested alot of time and money to get these ear molds, but sorry to tell you you wasted your time. Unlike me. Lol. now get out of my office?"

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #5,290 of 8,377
It's an elementary physics problem. There's no reason why a properly designed foam tip couldn't isolate as well as the harder tip used in customs. It should actually isolate better because it's more flexible.

As noted above you guys need to endlessly mess with your customs to get a seal, essentially because it's made of a harder and less compressive material

I don't know about this.  I don't like foam tips because typically I lose treble, especially the complies.  I prefer silicone, but the insertion has to be right.  You won't run into fit problems with customs, although you have a small chance that customs may need adjustment after, but that doesn't happen often as long as your molds are made the way asked, and they don't do a crappy job creating your customs(which I'm sure they would try avoiding as much as possible).

I can't explain it scientifically, but to me, the customs create a more controlled sound, and seems like imaging is more apparent(this one baffles me).  I haven't tried the top ones yet, but based on ones I've tried, it does sound quite good compared to universals IMO.

You can only be skeptical until you try customs.  I was skeptical also.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #5,291 of 8,377
Well, when the amount of bass increases, the amount of treble will seem like it decreased even if it really did not. So maybe customs give you a better seal and more bass and thus the (false) perception of less treble

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #5,292 of 8,377
Well, when the amount of bass increases, the amount of treble will seem like it decreased even if it really did not. So maybe customs give you a better seal and more bass and thus the (false) perception of less treble

I've experienced this with my new customs.  The mid bass(where mids and lows collide) was covering up the clarity on the vocals.  The vocals were recorded sounding muffled, you know when the mouth is close to the mic?  So it was a good test track to see if my HE-6 can pick up more neuances, which it did. This thing will pick up things that I didn't know existed.  
eek.gif
After I noticed my new customs had some of these details buried in the bass.  So it sounded more muffled.  I tried to EQ to bring the bass down, and the vocals became more resolved.  So yeah, bass can bury the details.  So, I don't believe in JHA philosophy of moor bass.  I guess that's why he spikes the treble while he's at it. 
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #5,293 of 8,377
This could be also do to my HE-6(planar magnetic) having very noticible separation of sounds.  Bass sounds separate from mids and highs.  This separation is hard to achieve with iems I believe.  Not sure, if any of you heard good separation with iems, I haven't yet.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #5,294 of 8,377

You like to throw Physics around like it's so simple when it comes to tips. First of all, each individual has different shape and size of the canal.

A foam tip or any tip is designed so that it could be used by everyone. It works for most of the time but not always, it's a compromise. If you insert a tip deep into your ear it exerts a force/pressure against your ear. In return your inner ear exerts the similar pressure back. Most people have conical shape on the inner ear. Any movement (opening your mouth, yawn) will bend twist your inner ear which would ten to push back on the tip. In my experience, I never had a consistent seal with any tips I tried. It is only good in the first few minutes After I insert them, then it will get worse until it pops out.

Sure I tried those multi-flange tips from Etys. They insert too deep and stays put but it muffs the sound because the opening tip is too small than the barrel and the sound waves bounces back from the tip wall before it reaches your ear drum. Not to mention it's uncomfortable. With foam tips then won't last more than a month with daily use.

For customs, true the fit may not be perfect, there is no guarantee it will be done properly the first time. (I'm luck mine is ok out of the box) But it will have a consistent fit. It clamps down to the most part of your outer ear creating good fit without much pressure. It stays put even when you are running.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #5,295 of 8,377
 you guys need to endlessly mess with your customs to get a seal, essentially because it's made of a harder and less compressive material

I find this statement odd beyond measure - Once my customs are in, I never touch them until I take them out - Unlike any and all universals I own - moving around can dislodge a Universal, not so a custom - at least all the customs I have owned - and to date I have had 5 pair. I can smile, talk, laugh, drink, turn my head, and chew pasta without breaking a seal. I brought a bowl of spaghetti to the audiologist to make sure of that last one
biggrin.gif

But seriously, I don't find that a custom has more bass, less bass, whatever treble.... - What a custom does for me is provide me an uncluttered sound - there is nothing blocking the sound wave exiting the tube before it hits my eardrum - no squished foam or silicon (Sometimes I wonder how any sound gets through the thin passageway on the included foams from my universal Westone 3) - there is no requirement of cocking my head a certain way to get the IEM firing properly - customs (at least for me) disappear in my head - I forget they're there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back