New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Apr 30, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #5,266 of 8,377
So i picked up the Roxannes today, they look great and feel really sturdy. the box is really nice too. I am wondering about the fit though, i haven't owned a CIEM before, so i am not sure what exactly to expect. For example coming from comply foam tip westones, i was surprised at how little ambient noise reduction i was getting from the outside world (without music playing). after putting them in i had no trouble hearing a quiet conversation taking place across the room. after putting the music on i also noticed that the bass seemed a little washed out and the music was lacking detail, if i made earmuff cups with my hand and held them over my ears gently the sound improved dramatically.
do i have a bad seal, or am i just not inserting them right? maybe i have just been spoiled by foam tips and my expectations were unrealistic for these. does anyone have any advice or recommendations?
I'll post some pictures of them when i get a chance, I really haven't been able to spend much time with them yet, i had to go to class straight after picking them up, which could be part of the problem too i suppose.
thanks for reading. 

Go to JHAudio site and look for the FAQ section there is a guide on how to properly insert a ciem in your ear

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #5,268 of 8,377
  So i picked up the Roxannes today, they look great and feel really sturdy. the box is really nice too. I am wondering about the fit though, i haven't owned a CIEM before, so i am not sure what exactly to expect. For example coming from comply foam tip westones, i was surprised at how little ambient noise reduction i was getting from the outside world (without music playing). after putting them in i had no trouble hearing a quiet conversation taking place across the room. after putting the music on i also noticed that the bass seemed a little washed out and the music was lacking detail, if i made earmuff cups with my hand and held them over my ears gently the sound improved dramatically.
do i have a bad seal, or am i just not inserting them right? maybe i have just been spoiled by foam tips and my expectations were unrealistic for these. does anyone have any advice or recommendations?
I'll post some pictures of them when i get a chance, I really haven't been able to spend much time with them yet, i had to go to class straight after picking them up, which could be part of the problem too i suppose.
thanks for reading. 

It sounds like you may not being getting a good seal. These don't isolate as much as my universal IEMs with Shure olive tips, but when I first got them, they were both too small in the ear (almost no isolation at all). I sent them back for a refit, and then the left ear isolated much better but the left wasn't large enough, so they are back in shop for a second refit. 

Here's a visual guide to inserting your custom.  

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #5,271 of 8,377
if you get customs done right they are in no way finicky as i cant stand tips myself.
sometimes you may need a refit or possibly two but after its right fo-get-a-bout-it you'll never go back to tips. just my opinion on customs

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #5,272 of 8,377
Thanks to
  1. Jedaite
  2. headwhacker
  3. doki81
  4. robm321
For replying, and for the advice. I followed the instructions you posted and I am reasonably sure that i am inserting them correctly, as there is no physical way of getting them any deeper inside my ear without causing physical pain. The sound i am getting is still the same as before though, the music feels a little far away and superficial. I mean i can get plenty of volume out of them, but the fine details and the low end seem to be missing, and the immersion isn't really there. That all changes when i cup my hands over my ears and press down though, the sound i get out when i do that is absolutly phenominal! its like i am listing to two different sets of IEM's, a set of apple ear buds, and a kick ***** Harpy She-Devil from the Astral plane! Thats what is making me think that I'm not getting a perfect seal, that and I didn't use a bite block when i had the impressions done.
Is there anything else i am missing/can try? I don't want to bother my audiologist untill i'm sure that it's not right, they are extremly helpful and friendly, its just that they are a few hours drive away, plus I hate the idea of having to send them back after i just getting my hands on them lol.

P.S. sorry for the long boring posts, I promise i'll post some Roxanne pics soon to make up for it.

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #5,273 of 8,377
Thanks to
For replying, and for the advice. I followed the instructions you posted and I am reasonably sure that i am inserting them correctly, as there is no physical way of getting them any deeper inside my ear without causing physical pain. The sound i am getting is still the same as before though, the music feels a little far away and superficial. I mean i can get plenty of volume out of them, but the fine details and the low end seem to be missing, and the immersion isn't really there. That all changes when i cup my hands over my ears and press down though, the sound i get out when i do that is absolutly phenominal! its like i am listing to two different sets of IEM's, a set of apple ear buds, and a kick ***** Harpy She-Devil from the Astral plane! Thats what is making me think that I'm not getting a perfect seal, that and I didn't use a bite block when i had the impressions done.
Is there anything else i am missing/can try? I don't want to bother my audiologist untill i'm sure that it's not right, they are extremly helpful and friendly, its just that they are a few hours drive away, plus I hate the idea of having to send them back after i just getting my hands on them lol.

P.S. sorry for the long boring posts, I promise i'll post some Roxanne pics soon to make up for it.

Does the sound change if you push in with one finger on the earpiece? If it does, then you are not getting a good seal. Isolation should be better than what you described, also.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #5,274 of 8,377
It definitely sounds like you need a refit, and I would get the impressions done again with a bite block this time. 

My audiologist said if you push them against your ear and the sound gets better, then they are clearly in need of a refit. Sucks, but there's no way around it. Sorry. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #5,275 of 8,377
Thats what is making me think that I'm not getting a perfect seal, that and I didn't use a bite block when i had the impressions done.
Is there anything else i am missing/can try? 

If you didn't use the bite block, there's a very very high risk you did not obtain a proper seal.

And no having a proper seal is the #1 factor of having no bass in IEM's.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 30, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #5,276 of 8,377
with universals and comply tips, it's impossible to have an improper seal. The tip is made of a flexible foam that fills every part of the ear. The downside is that unlike the permanent material in custom IEMs the comply foam is perishable and so you need to get a new one every two months or so.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #5,277 of 8,377
  with universals and comply tips, it's impossible to have an improper seal. The tip is made of a flexible foam that fills every part of the ear. The downside is that unlike the permanent material in custom IEMs the comply foam is perishable and so you need to get a new one every two months or so.

I would not agree that it is impossible.  I have had too good of a seal (closed off the ear canal) with uni's and uni's that did not stay put, therefore a poor seal.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #5,278 of 8,377

I would not agree that it is impossible.  I have had too good of a seal (closed off the ear canal) with uni's and uni's that did not stay put, therefore a poor seal.

Not with a properly sized comply tips. That's made of a cushiony space filling foam, sort of like you see in ear plugs, but more durable. I think it would violate certain laws of physics if that didn't seal your ear canal

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #5,279 of 8,377
Thanks to

If the sound changes by cupping your ears or pressing on the earpiece, it's not fitting right

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #5,280 of 8,377
It sounds like you want to make the argument that universals seal/sound as good as custom. They don't, regardless of the tips you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back