New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Apr 2, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #4,846 of 8,377
Apr 2, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #4,847 of 8,377

(Caution: Dodgy explanation ahead.)

I was reading recently something about how our ears interpret different frequencies to assess the distance of objects. Since IEMs can't have a soundstage, as our pinna isn't involved in reflecting the sound, some manufacturers "fake" a soundstage by tweaking some frequencies down to make them sound more distant. So if you look at the FR chart of 1plus2s, it looks all over the place, but that was, say, Gavin requesting adjustment to get a pseudo-speaker like sound from them.

The Roxannes are, apart from the bass (depending on adjustment) and IIRC a peak in the treble, essentially flat, like the LCD-2/3/X as I understand things, resulting in them giving you what you hear. The LCD-XC, of course, has a dip in the mid-bass, so they sound more spacious, because our brain gets specific cues about object distance from that frequency range (if I read it right). I'm messing up discussion of headphones and IEMs here, but I hope the gist of what I'm saying makes sense, but I feel the same way about the Roxannes' sound.

Also, before I forget, the drivers Jerry is using seem to need some hours on them before they sound right.

Well, whether it's a soundstage or a headstage, I do perceive space in some IEMs better than others. The L05QD and UERM for instance sound more linear to me than the Roxanne (the L05QD moreso), and both of them have a more well defined sense of space compared to the Roxanne to my ears. Not necessarily bigger, but more filled out with a more seamless portrayal of instrument placement.

I'm wondering if that's not an effect of there being so many drivers?

What various people have explained to me is: Using more drivers for, say, the treble, gives more headroom to each driver, meaning less exertion for them and I guess that is why the treble in the Roxannes sounds so much better than my JH-13s. I think the "sense of space" comes from the FR and our brain's perception, as well as a good design, drivers in phase and otherwise well-executed.  

I'm heading towards feeling though that the UERM would be my IEM of choice for acoustic music (rather like the SR-009s were) whereas the Roxannes are better for rocking out or playing more modern music, as they have more of a bass kick, similar to how I used to listen to the LCD-2s and 3s for it in the past.

Edit: I had a flash of inspiration and pulled out my Monster Supertips pack: They seem to reduce the heaviness of the mid-bass somewhat, at least for me, and now the balance is about right. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #4,848 of 8,377
  Yes, I have mine ! Working fine ! 

Thanks. Now I need to push JH to send me one (already asked a few weeks ago) 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #4,849 of 8,377
Everybody forgets that you are dealing with a small private company, and I am sure it is funded by either Jerry himself or a group of small investors.

Furthermore, calling them and putting pressure on them for a shorter lead time to a product that has a artistic process is a BAD IDEA.  
I own MANY customs and have a great relationship with UM, Tralucent, Vision Ears, Hidition, Custom Art, and Spiral Ears, who are almost all smaller than JH, provide better service. JH offered my worst experience since I am in this hobby. Do not judge people because you disagree. What is a BAD IDEA is selling something you have no idea how to produce in a timely manner nor with acceptable quality.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,850 of 8,377

What various people have explained to me is: Using more drivers for, say, the treble, gives more headroom to each driver, meaning less exertion for them and I guess that is why the treble in the Roxannes sounds so much better than my JH-13s. I think the "sense of space" comes from the FR and our brain's perception, as well as a good design, drivers in phase and otherwise well-executed.  

I'm heading towards feeling though that the UERM would be my IEM of choice for acoustic music (rather like the SR-009s were) whereas the Roxannes are better for rocking out or playing more modern music, as they have more of a bass kick, similar to how I used to listen to the LCD-2s and 3s for it in the past.

Edit: I had a flash of inspiration and pulled out my Monster Supertips pack: They seem to reduce the heaviness of the mid-bass somewhat, at least for me, and now the balance is about right. 

4 drivers also means it will take that much longer to run in if one accepts that change. That's an IEM I'd probably crank pretty good while sitting in a drawer for a few.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #4,851 of 8,377
   no idea how to produce

I guess you know that Jerry Harvey has been doing this longer than anyone else, starting Ultimate Ears after creating a personal audio system for Van Halen? Not excusing anything, but I just had to point that out. 
smile.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #4,852 of 8,377
I guess you know that Jerry Harvey has been doing this longer than anyone else, starting Ultimate Ears after creating a personal audio system for Van Halen? Not excusing anything, but I just had to point that out. :smile:
Yes I do and I am all the more frustrated...I would have been easier on Custom Art.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #4,853 of 8,377

The Roxannes are, apart from the bass (depending on adjustment) and IIRC a peak in the treble, essentially flat, like the LCD-2/3/X as I understand things, resulting in them giving you what you hear

Out of everything I listened to at the LA meet, I found the Roxannes to be closest to the UERM.  As I said a couple days back:

I spent about 40 minutes going back and forth w/ the Roxannes and K10s and came out inconclusive.  I can see what people who prefer them are getting at, and in fact feel they share more in common w/ the 13s than the 13s do w/ the Roxannes.  That said, the Roxannes still have a depth/sense of space to the sound that seems unique for an IEM.  The thing I felt was closest to their presentation oddly enough was the UERM - like a thicker/darker version of that.

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,854 of 8,377
I guess you know that Jerry Harvey has been doing this longer than anyone else, starting Ultimate Ears after creating a personal audio system for Van Halen? Not excusing anything, but I just had to point that out. :smile:

Hi there, just wanted to note that Marty Garcia, head of Future Sonics, was the first to put in-ear monitors on stage. That was 1982 with a Todd Rundgren tour. Marty Garcia was inducted into the NAMM foundation's TECnology Hall of Fame for the first commercially available in-ear monitor system in 1985.

http://tecfoundation.com/hof/10techof.html
Check it out. The history of our hobby is interesting.

So, Marty's literally been doing this longer than anyone else. :smile:

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,855 of 8,377
I met up with gl1tch3d earlier and gave him a few eartips that opened up the sound on his roxannes. I definitely found them dark sounding and too smooth and was worried since I have my customs on order.

But the double flange tip accomodates for the irregular bends in our ears, opening the sound some more and providing more highs.

I definitely put my iphone 5 at fault for making them sound so warm, and will absolutely need a dedicated DAP. I preferred my IE800's straight from my phone :/

Now if only I get my order darn it. I was told on March 10th "Your order is near completion I will ship with a clear cable but the case should not hold up the order at all.

Thanks,
Angie"

Grrr

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #4,856 of 8,377
I was told on March 3rd my order was near completion(Non-CF). I agreed to clear cables. I just got my FedEx notice that they were picked up in FL. I assume they shipped with black cables since everyone else after the 3rd says they received black cables. I really got no confirmation about cable color other than a thanks, but they didn't ship any sooner than today. And just my luck, I'm gone next week when they are scheduled to arrive. Arrgh!

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #4,857 of 8,377
I met up with gl1tch3d earlier and gave him a few eartips that opened up the sound on his roxannes. I definitely found them dark sounding and too smooth and was worried since I have my customs on order.

But the double flange tip accomodates for the irregular bends in our ears, opening the sound some more and providing more highs.

I definitely put my iphone 5 at fault for making them sound so warm, and will absolutely need a dedicated DAP. I preferred my IE800's straight from my phone :/

Now if only I get my order darn it. I was told on March 10th "Your order is near completion I will ship with a clear cable but the case should not hold up the order at all.

Thanks,
Angie"

Grrr

Exactly the reason why I went customs and not coming back to universals. I literally tried tons of tips and never found one that consistently works for me.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #4,858 of 8,377
Hi there, just wanted to note that Marty Garcia, head of Future Sonics, was the first to put in-ear monitors on stage. That was 1982 with a Todd Rundgren tour. Marty Garcia was inducted into the NAMM foundation's TECnology Hall of Fame for the first commercially available in-ear monitor system in 1985.

http://tecfoundation.com/hof/10techof.html
Check it out. The history of our hobby is interesting.

So, Marty's literally been doing this longer than anyone else. :smile:

I do believe Dr Santucci & Dr Mead Killion activities in the music monitor arena pre date UE as well, and both of them are audiologists

There is a youtube vdo out there, I think it was a round robin interview with jh, westone etc. jerry literally denied the myth that he was the first to build a ciem, but went on to clarify & stated that he was the first to utilize multiple drivers within a ciem housing.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 2, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #4,860 of 8,377
jerry literally denied the myth that he was the first to build a ciem, but went on to clarify & stated that he was the first to utilize multiple drivers within a ciem housing.

Yeah, it says so on their website "After trying (and quickly discarding) the available in-ear options, Jerry funneled his experience with large arena sound systems and engineered the first 2-way, custom-fit earpieces."

But how much of an innovation was the first true-blue CIEM?  Was it not a tweak of a current custom hearing aid being fed by a cable rather than an ambient pathway, or more than that?  

It seems delving in multiple drivers/crossovers/sound tubes is a bigger innnovation and more underscores what the modern audiophile IEM is.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back