New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Dec 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,086 of 8,377
I'm regretting ordering the Roxanne's after hearing all this. Wish those that said the Roxanne's were a more refined JH-13 would have mentioned that the highs suck and it sounds nothing like the JH-13.

Those who said Roxanne's highs are more refined than JH-13 aren't exactly wrong. The highs are tuned to be more neutral flat as what JH himself said at Mook to fix the treble issue in JH13/16 and extends further into the higher frequency without much roll offs (a good thing), so it is an improvement. Furthermore, the variable bass tuning does not impact/warp the rest of the mids/highs at all which is excellent. It is just that the highs in Roxanne are not prominent/bright now, so it can be considered slightly dark to some people. Depending on your preference, you may or may not like it tuned that way. If you prefer as much highs to stand out as possible, I suggest you tune the bass down to minimum for a start.

Is this more of a consequence of having a vented IEM vs. sealed?  1plus2, EX1000, Flat-4, etc, where you trade isolation for an out-of-head staging experience (similar to open vs. closed headphones). 

Or do you feel there is something else to it?

I don't own/heard Flat-4 before, but I do have 1plus2 and EX1000 and I don't consider them as vented. My EX1000 does indeed have rather bad isolation, but the 1plus2 fits my ear perfectly compared to EX1000 and isolation is decently good. If you listen to 1plus2 in a quiet environment, there is no need to worry about isolation issue and I don't think it gives an artificial "out-of-head" staging experience in that sense. Contrary to my 1plus2 and EX1000, I think my ASG-2 with the vented bass dials is the real vented IEM. It can open the bass port to varying amount to increase/decrease the venting and strengthen/lower the bass. However even with the bass port of ASG-2 at near max open setting for maximum venting, its "out-of-head" staging experience is way below that of 1plus2.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2,087 of 8,377
But they are technically vented - it's the only reason I never picked up a pair, I need the isolation.  I didn't mean that it's an artificial trick or anything, but having an (at least partial) open design can confer some advantages here.  Sounds like there is more going on than just that though.  Thank you for clarifying.

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #2,089 of 8,377

I don't own/heard Flat-4 before, but I do have 1plus2 and EX1000 and I don't consider them as vented. My EX1000 does indeed have rather bad isolation, but the 1plus2 fits my ear perfectly compared to EX1000 and isolation is decently good. If you listen to 1plus2 in a quiet environment, there is no need to worry about isolation issue and I don't think it gives an artificial "out-of-head" staging experience in that sense. Contrary to my 1plus2 and EX1000, I think my ASG-2 with the vented bass dials is the real vented IEM. It can open the bass port to varying amount to increase/decrease the venting and strengthen/lower the bass. However even with the bass port of ASG-2 at near max open setting for maximum venting, its "out-of-head" staging experience is way below that of 1plus2.

You may not consider them vented but they are vented, LOL. I do think it helps certain dynamics from sounding tight or overdamped and the 1&2 tuning is very nice. As for the staging, I think you just prefer the 1&2 and it's slightly dialed in perspective. I thought the JH13 more correct in placement and tonality of things I know intimately. Doesn't make it absolutely better and certainly not for everyone as I know the 1p2 has been preferred by some. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #2,091 of 8,377
Roxanne has arrived, coming to me now
smily_headphones1.gif

Please take some photos :)

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #2,092 of 8,377
Dec 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #2,094 of 8,377
Roxanne has arrived, coming to me now
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I just checked out your stable... UEPRM, 1Plus2, Kaede, JH13, TG!334, MH335, K3003 - that's quite a 'dream team' of IEMs to compare against.  I am now that much more eager to hear your impressions....I personally have TG!334s, if you happen to have those on hand to write a few notes against for initial impressions I would certainly not object.  No pressure  
etysmile.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #2,096 of 8,377

BTW, I just checked out your stable... UEPRM, 1Plus2, Kaede, JH13, TG!334, MH335, K3003 - that's quite a 'dream team' of IEMs to compare against.  I am now that much more eager to hear your impressions....I personally have TG!334s, if you happen to have those on hand to write a few notes against for initial impressions I would certainly not object.  No pressure  
etysmile.gif

I'm wondering if UM's new 'Mentor' may have been devised as a Chinese competitor to Fitear's MH335, but that's something for another thread, another day.

In the meantime, I'm as keen as everyone else here, to finally start hearing some customer feedback on full-custom Roxannes...
popcorn.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #2,098 of 8,377
For my ears, they fit better. But that's cos I have the Uber cable on my 1Plus2 so I'm always afraid to bend them too much.

Different SQ altogether. For me I feel the 1Plus2 to be slightly U-shaped even with the Uber cable. The Roxannes have a fuller blossoming midrange.
Thanks AnakChan. Good news since I do not really have anything in the full mids departement.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,099 of 8,377
BTW, I just checked out your stable... UEPRM, 1Plus2, Kaede, JH13, TG!334, MH335, K3003 - that's quite a 'dream team' of IEMs to compare against.  I am now that much more eager to hear your impressions....I personally have TG!334s, if you happen to have those on hand to write a few notes against for initial impressions I would certainly not object.  No pressure  :etysmile:  
You forget his Noble K10...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back