New iPod Touch 4G first impressions
Oct 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #166 of 265
No problem. I have used it to charge my iPod but I think the charge time is about the same as using the USB cord attached to the computer.

On the other question...Not sure about that one...Maybe someone else will see this thread an chime in!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the images. That was exactly what I needed. Have you used this wall charger to charge your iTouch already? Does it take less time to charge, comparing to using the USB cord?

A little off-topic question: what happens if I use a charger with different output than the input of the device I want to charge? Is it possible to damage the device or kill the battery faster (as in number of charge/use cycles)? Or it just takes longer/less time to charge?

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #167 of 265
I wanted my new ipod touch 4g to sound better than the original iphone 3g that I have but it simply doesn't come close. I bought the ipodtouch 4g as a remote and for surfing the web whilst listening to music through my AX and DAC!!! I do like the sound of the ipod touch 4g speakers when I watch my recorded HD videos (which are awesome). It might be something to do with the Cirrus logic sound chip, the Wolfson on the iphone 3g I think is superior sounding (plus the headphone amp on the iphone 3g has more grunt).

I use apple earbuds, PX200 or HD555 for my portable sources, and the ipod touch 4G as wonderful as it is with the retina display, a4 processor, hd video etc. doesn't sound quite as good as the iphone 3g. The iphone 3g has more bass and doesn't have a digital static sound like the new ipod touch.  Plus it seems to have less conflicting frequencies. I do use EQ on the ipod and iphones cos they need it.  In itunes with a decent Class A amp, the EQ is turned off.

Does it bother me. No! I don't bother with much music on my portable devices, because it never sounds good!  I might listen to a state of trance on my ipod shuffle at the beach, but I mainly listen to podcasts. The apple ear buds are fine for most things. I want to protect my ears for when I really want to listen to loud music.   If I am at home and want to watch a movie or listen to good music, I simply use my dac & HD650. The dac on the airport express and other Apple products sound mediocre (they are better than stock soundcards on PC but meeh).

I also don't believe in mini headphone jacks, no matter how good the cable is.

FINALLY
Please Itunes sell your music in Apple Lossless.

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #168 of 265
Actually there are a couple more things that disappoints me about the ipod touch 4g.  When I use Bluetooth in the car to stream podcasts it drops out all the time as compared with my iphone 3g that rarely has dropouts.  This is something I thought would stay the same.  I am not trolling.  I think the HD display and camera is awesome and the A4 processor rocks. Overall I am quite happy with it.  The other thing I would like is wifi N @ 5ghz rather than the 2.4ghz.  With airplay coming out with 4.2, I would like the extra latency and bandwith Wifi N @ 5ghz offers.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #170 of 265
Well it seems that the 4g Touch SQ is a step behind the latest iPhones. Thus i would wait till iPhone hits the 64Gb mark. Having a 160GB Classic as well as an iPhone 3Gs i can not think of any benefit grabbing a new Touch.

Quote:
I wanted my new ipod touch 4g to sound better than the original iphone 3g that I have but it simply doesn't come close. I bought the ipodtouch 4g as a remote and for surfing the web whilst listening to music through my AX and DAC!!! I do like the sound of the ipod touch 4g speakers when I watch my recorded HD videos (which are awesome). It might be something to do with the Cirrus logic sound chip, the Wolfson on the iphone 3g I think is superior sounding (plus the headphone amp on the iphone 3g has more grunt).

I use apple earbuds, PX200 or HD555 for my portable sources, and the ipod touch 4G as wonderful as it is with the retina display, a4 processor, hd video etc. doesn't sound quite as good as the iphone 3g. The iphone 3g has more bass and doesn't have a digital static sound like the new ipod touch.  Plus it seems to have less conflicting frequencies. I do use EQ on the ipod and iphones cos they need it.  In itunes with a decent Class A amp, the EQ is turned off.

Does it bother me. No! I don't bother with much music on my portable devices, because it never sounds good!  I might listen to a state of trance on my ipod shuffle at the beach, but I mainly listen to podcasts. The apple ear buds are fine for most things. I want to protect my ears for when I really want to listen to loud music.   If I am at home and want to watch a movie or listen to good music, I simply use my dac & HD650. The dac on the airport express and other Apple products sound mediocre (they are better than stock soundcards on PC but meeh).

I also don't believe in mini headphone jacks, no matter how good the cable is.

FINALLY
Please Itunes sell your music in Apple Lossless.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #171 of 265
I am impressed how they improved sound in new firmware =) Going back to touch from A845

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #172 of 265
Hi guys,

I have an audio-unrelated question. How fast is the iTouch 4g at reading PDF? I know the iPhone 4 is extremely fast at that but it has 512 gb or RAM, while the iTouch only has 256 (that I know, at least).
Also, how much difference in scrolling speed could there be in using them as comics readers? Has anyone tried?

Any other hardware differences I should be aware of?

Cheers.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #173 of 265
I've only used a PDF on my Touch 4 once, but it was just as smooth as the rest of the interface.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #175 of 265
PDF's are even fast on my 2G iPod touch, especially before OS 4. With OS 4.0 some apps give me a 'slow device' warning! Tisk tisk.

Quote:
Hi guys,

I have an audio-unrelated question. How fast is the iTouch 4g at reading PDF? I know the iPhone 4 is extremely fast at that but it has 512 gb or RAM, while the iTouch only has 256 (that I know, at least).
Also, how much difference in scrolling speed could there be in using them as comics readers? Has anyone tried?

Any other hardware differences I should be aware of?

Cheers.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #178 of 265
Thanks guys... even 50mb heavy pdf's? (like ASP.NET manuals and such, main point of interest)

Thanks again!

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #179 of 265
^^ I doubt that mine would do well with those. Lots of pics in those? Honestly, if the PDF is formatted for a large screen, you won't like reading it with the touch. I thought I would, but eventually reformatted my PDF manuals to rtf, txt or ebook files for better use of the screen. 

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #180 of 265
Thanks Shig, I can agree with you as far as size goes (but I am used to small screens...), but what about smoothness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back