New iPod Touch 4G first impressions
Sep 16, 2010 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 265

alpha10

100+ Head-Fier
Got mine yesterday, the design is even better than before and it feels faster than my old 3G.

Important for me is the sound, so I tested the same lossless file at the same volume with the same headphones, and the 4G definately sounds better, more dynamic sound, and a tad warmer and natural treble, so I'm impressed. Battery life is also better, so I feel it was worth upgrading.

Now I just need a nice case, and that's not easy....yet.

Any comments?

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 265
Also waiting on a case for my 4G. I've had mine since Wednesday Sept 8th.

The device itself is great. iTunes on the other hand was a royal pain. iTunes by itself has forced me to seriously consider a possible Zune HD successor they keep hinting at for a January release. iTunes seems to be identical in every way as it was 10 years ago. Terrible, and worse.

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 265

Quote:
Also waiting on a case for my 4G. I've had mine since Wednesday Sept 8th.

The device itself is great. iTunes on the other hand was a royal pain. iTunes by itself has forced me to seriously consider a possible Zune HD successor they keep hinting at for a January release. iTunes seems to be identical in every way as it was 10 years ago. Terrible, and worse.

But what's your take on the Touch itself ? Sound wise specially.

The Touch would end up on my hands sooner or later ( The day it goes beyond 100Gbs). So i kind of like to know the sonic evolution of the device.

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 265
How's the line out compared to your older ipods (touch, classic, video etc)?

I'm interested in upgrading only to improve the one weakness I have in my chain, and that is the HP & DAC of classic 6th gen...atm imod seems to be the logical choice but at that price its a no go for me.

now if the touch was 128gb, I would go for it regardless.
eek.gif

btw, what's the deal with itunes? it seems a lot of people complain about it. am I missing something?
granted i don't do much apart from loading music and syncing, so what is it that's lacking? maybe there are things that i should do with my music that I am not aware of? or is it because of OS that is causing this. I'm using mac so maybe that why?

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 265
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512538/zune-hd-or-sansa-fuze-v2#post_6928420

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

btw, what's the deal with itunes? it seems a lot of people complain about it. am I missing something?
granted i don't do much apart from loading music and syncing, so what is it that's lacking? maybe there are things that i should do with my music that I am not aware of? or is it because of OS that is causing this. I'm using mac so maybe that why?

You would think in the last 10 years Apple would figure out that you need to be able to add AND REMOVE directories in which music is stored right? They still haven't done it. In Zune software you can add AND REMOVE folders in mere seconds. To do this with iTunes you have to wipe the program off your computer, wipe your iPod, move the files to where you want them to be, then reinstall everything. It was a 3 hour process from me starting to try to find where you can remove folders in iTunes to actually having it setup the way I wanted it.

3 hours versus 10-20 seconds?

Also it seems iPod and iTunes is EXTREMELY picky about the USB port you use. I was getting massive lag and sync time-outs. I moved the USB to another port 1 slot below (on the same internal USB hardware) and it magically worked like it should have. In a year with my Zune I never had a single problem syncing even using a low speed USB 1.1 port sometimes.

One of the main problems with iTunes that I have, personally, is it tries to become your only source for music. It tries to pull in your library, hack it to pieces, and then glue it together within it's proprietary storage system. At this point you are stuck with it. I will never download a song from iTunes because of this. If I want to be free of it, I'd likely lose the songs I paid for. Zune doesn't do this, but it also doesn't allow you to sync backwards, which is troubling, but not as bad. Drag and drop portable players are definitely the best, unfortunately the hardware and software of these players is often far far behind.

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 265
I see what you mean with the filing system..
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 265
alpha10, 
did you have a chance to compare the lineout?

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #12 of 265
I had a look at one in the Apple Store today.  I wanted to see if there would be some way I could attach it to my Pico Slim in its case.  I worked out if I could put some kind of elastic band around the slim (maybe using wide elastic sewn to the right size) I could attach it sideways, and my TWAG LOD would still fit nicely. Now I need another iPod like I need a hole in the head....

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #13 of 265

Quote:
Got mine yesterday, the design is even better than before and it feels faster than my old 3G.

Important for me is the sound, so I tested the same lossless file at the same volume with the same headphones, and the 4G definately sounds better, more dynamic sound, and a tad warmer and natural treble, so I'm impressed. Battery life is also better, so I feel it was worth upgrading.

Now I just need a nice case, and that's not easy....yet.

Any comments?

would you prefer the new touch 32gb or a 64gb 3gen ipod?
i can get them for almost the same price here in argentina...

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 265

Quote:
It think it would be cool if we are able to keep the thread about the iPod Touch instead of turning it into an iTunes thing.

Like you can separate the two?
rolleyes.gif

I did post mostly about the Touch then someone asked me to elaborate about iTunes, so I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back