new iems - cheap or expensive?
Oct 17, 2012 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dj HyPe

New Head-Fier
Hulk crush puny heaadphones, no seriously!

I literally use my iems ALL DAY, or at least most of it. I find oems make my neck hurt after 2 hours. 

Headphone history (not including $4!7 ones)
 Xears had good sound and ok for comfort but broke really quickly - 2 months.
 Sony MDR-EX700 had very good sound were very comfortable and also broke but lasted a year
 Soundmagics had adequate sound not particularly comfortable and lasted about the same as the Xears
 Radiopaq jazz have adequate sound and have lasted ages but are uncomfortable. I have tried comply tips and they are worse

Will anything sound good-very good, be comfortable and NOT BREAK? I'll spend £300 IF they don't break, monsters life time warranty is starting to appeal.

If not what sounds adequate - good , is comfortable and costs less than £30?

comfort to me = mdr-ex700 as a guide. could wear them for centuries if they didn't break

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 14
I think the question you need to ask yourself is why are you breaking so many IEM's, what is the source of this problem causing errors. We cannot guarantee an IEM to be successful in that area no matter how much money you spend.

What exactly has gone wrong with your past IEM's?,

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 14
the connections become loose and/or break; either where the cable joins the jack, or where it joins the driver housing.

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 14
Well I think ss2625 has the right idea, go for something that has a removable / replaceable cable.

Something like Shure SE215, Triple-fi 10 etc.....

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 14
thanks I' ve gone with miles davis tributes but may consider some of those if i dont like them. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 14
The many IEMs has same problems with connectors or cables and the solution is to buy IEMs with removable cables like UE900, UE TF10Pro, UM3x, SM3, Sony EX1000, W4R, SE535, FX700 (not removable cable but they are well built) and Heir Audio 4Ai. But MD may works for you because they are well built and has replaceble warranty.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 14
I think a lot of the IEM's with the removable cables are the ones that have many of the cable issues with the pins breaking and what not.  If you just treat a $300 IEM like a $300 product then you wont have any problems.  One of the main reasons people have cable problems is because the wrap them around their player and put them in a pocket and that will weaken you connections and strain relief to where one side stops working or they just break, so if you stop wrapping them on the player your cables will last a long time whether removable or fixed.  Personally I feel fixed cables will last you just as long if not longer if you take care of them.  Sorry I just had to say it because if more people stop doing that to the cables the longer their IEM's will last.

Now on to an IEM suggestion and since I don't know what you listen to or what sound signature you like but heres some quality IEM's imo, like the e-Q5, RE262, W4, GR01, R-50, Heaven IV, GR07 all have good SQ and are well built.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 14
just got the MD's - they're nice 
basshead.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 14
BTW i find JVC FX500, FX700 connectors or cable are hard to break with normal use because they built with great materail.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back