New Holo Audio Cyan DAC/AMP: listening impressions and PCM/DSD poll

Would you be more interested in the PCM or DSD module for the Holo Audio Cyan DAC/AMP?

• PCM

• DSD

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jul 26, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #228 of 289
someone knows if exist some upgrade for cyan similar to what happens for spring dac? thank you

Feb 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #231 of 289
Hey guys this thread has been inactive for quite a while and I see this DAC was from around 2017. Is the Holo Audio Cyan not future proof enough against newer DAC offerings? I'm looking for a good DAC under $1k so let me know any recommendations, thanks!

May 9, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #235 of 289
The Cyan sounds similar to Spring but I felt like the Spring is more resolving and had more presence/texture/body.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but could you elaborate a little more? I would only be using an external amp over balanced - do you think it had more slam? Is that what you mean by body? Additionally, by resolving do you mean in terms of detail or was there other noticeable features like soundstage that stood out to you? I'm deciding between that or a Level 1 in the next few weeks. Thanks.

May 10, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #236 of 289
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but could you elaborate a little more? I would only be using an external amp over balanced - do you think it had more slam? Is that what you mean by body? Additionally, by resolving do you mean in terms of detail or was there other noticeable features like soundstage that stood out to you? I'm deciding between that or a Level 1 in the next few weeks. Thanks.

Sorry its been so long and I don't trust my audio memory, but I do recall the Spring having more definition and slightly resolving. Both of them have decent slam, but I wasn't too impressed by it compared to other dacs (Sabre based, AK4499, 1541) which slam better IMO. Detail retrieval is slightly better on the Spring, but overall they're not the the dacs to go for if you care about absolute technicality, transparency and neutrality.

Hope this helps. :sweat_smile:

May 11, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #238 of 289
Holo spring < holo spring 2 < holo May

So spring 2 and May do offer better technicalities though

Hmm so a Spring 1 Level 3 is probably equivalent to Spring 2 Level 1/2 so it’s no longer a good deal value wise. I might just get a Cyan or Level 1 for now until I can afford the May. I’d love to see more reviews on it though and how it compares to the Metrum Pavane. You have a lot of competition at that price point.

Sorry its been so long and I don't trust my audio memory, but I do recall the Spring having more definition and slightly resolving. Both of them have decent slam, but I wasn't too impressed by it compared to other dacs (Sabre based, AK4499, 1541) which slam better IMO. Detail retrieval is slightly better on the Spring, but overall they're not the the dacs to go for if you care about absolute technicality, transparency and neutrality.

Hope this helps. :sweat_smile:

Yes, definitely helpful. I know NOS excels better at tonality. I’m trying to find that balance of tonality and detail. I remember people comparing the Level 3 Spring 1 to the Yggy and people really liking it in comparison even when comparing straight technicalities. I love the Springs tonality - I’m just trying to find the right version that would be as detailed as the Gumby. Seems like the Cyan wouldn’t fit that bill.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #239 of 289
Hmm, not sure if any really visits this thread but let me throw out this question anyway...

I'm thinking of getting a Cyan/PCM to connect to a Windows PC to use for casual music production (and also for conventional music listening on the side). Anyway, for music creation use, low latency is of course paramount. Does anyone know if I'd have any latency issues for this use case? I would be connecting via USB, or could also use TOSLINK coming out of the motherboard as well.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #240 of 289
Hmm, not sure if any really visits this thread but let me throw out this question anyway...

I'm thinking of getting a Cyan/PCM to connect to a Windows PC to use for casual music production (and also for conventional music listening on the side). Anyway, for music creation use, low latency is of course paramount. Does anyone know if I'd have any latency issues for this use case? I would be connecting via USB, or could also use TOSLINK coming out of the motherboard as well.
The Holo drivers have very low latency. I see no problem :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back