New Holo Audio Cyan DAC/AMP: listening impressions and PCM/DSD poll

Would you be more interested in the PCM or DSD module for the Holo Audio Cyan DAC/AMP?

• PCM

• DSD

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #214 of 289
If you want something sweet from NOS land.

Alternatives I can think of:
Schiit Modi Multibit: also sweet and warm, much cheaper. The Cyan is better sounding but more expensive. Better clarity, better focus. Modi MB is still good though.
Metrum Amethyst: Everybody I've seen who heard both preferred the Cyan.
Metrum Onyx: much more expensive.
Holo Spring: much more expensive.

I don't see many alternatives for the Cyan in this pricerange.

Feb 16, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #215 of 289
can anyone confirm that the Holo Cyan tonality is sweet?

Hi
That sweet question is too hard to answer - depends on the quality of your power source, are you using headphones - and which ones and which cables; or what is it feeding as in an amp, etc. It is certainly not harsh or brittle if that is your concern.

Generally speaking its sound is consistent with the Holo family sound - search the many reviews especially Torq's review.

May 26, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #217 of 289
I've been enjoying my Cyan for the past several months and don't see myself selling it anytime soon because it's versatility as a standalone DAC and a combo DAC/amp unit. But I am curious to know if there are any other DAC/amp combos that are in the same tier or higher than the Cyan. Would prefer a NOS R2R DAC with a decently powerful SS amp, but I know my options are probably better if I include other DAC designs in my search.

May 26, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #218 of 289
I've been enjoying my Cyan for the past several months and don't see myself selling it anytime soon because it's versatility as a standalone DAC and a combo DAC/amp unit. But I am curious to know if there are any other DAC/amp combos that are in the same tier or higher than the Cyan. Would prefer a NOS R2R DAC with a decently powerful SS amp, but I know my options are probably better if I include other DAC designs in my search.
I can only think of Holo spring* with dedicated amp as linear upgrade, but can't beat the Cyan in convenience since it has a pretty damn good amp embedded.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #219 of 289
How does OS mode compare to NOS?

I'm looking for a DAC/phone amp to use with the PC. I will use it to listen to music but also for movies and gaming, in witch case a neutral sound signature might be better.
Is this what we get in OS mode?

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #220 of 289
How does OS mode compare to NOS?

I'm looking for a DAC/phone amp to use with the PC. I will use it to listen to music but also for movies and gaming, in witch case a neutral sound signature might be better.
Is this what we get in OS mode?
OS is more precise. NOS is more laid-back/rolled-off.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #221 of 289
OS is more precise. NOS is more laid-back/rolled-off.

Agreed. Although it's not a significant roll-off. NOS just sounds a little more lush, while OS is slightly more sterile. You can definitely tell the difference when immediately switching between them, but both modes would sound great if you listened to them blind.

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #223 of 289
Yes, absolutely.

Btw, Cyan>LP. Nice combo man!

I'm tempted to upgrade to one of the Spring DACs, but I actually love the versatility of having the Cyan amp built-in. I like the Cyan SS amp with planar headphones and my LP with dynamics, and I can switch between with the press of a button!

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #225 of 289
I find the RME headphone out very unengaging even from a neutral studio sound perspective and the trrble edges on glarey depending on headphones used. The Schiit Modi 3 and Magni 3 are technically slightly behind the RME as AIO but a much better listen at a much lower price and still very neutral sounding.
I've used the RME as DAC with a Phonitor amp for some time but the polite and velvety nature of the AKM chips bugged me and right now I'm using Schiit Modi 3 and Vali 2 whilst I save up for a bigger DAC, the small Schiit set is simply more fun to listen to then the RME. Unless you realy need the DSP features I'd skip the RME.

The Cyan (DAC) sounds very different to the RME (DAC), it's like choosing between orange juice and apple juice and more a matter of taste than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back