New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Dec 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #5,806 of 6,017
aw crap, late 
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #5,808 of 6,017
one free item per customer :) 

modmax, you're in luck as my left driver in my HE-400's just went out AGAIN, so i've decided to send them back now instead of keeping them for a few more weeks as planned. So, i'll send you the velours this week also. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #5,810 of 6,017
Quote:

The 6mm might fit the Mogami 2534 better since that cable overall diameter is .236", whereas the Mogami 2893 is .189", in which the 4mm would be a great fit.  Did he use different size Mogami cable for the earcup leads vs the TRS connector lead (main cable)?

Have you taken a look or had any experience with this:  http://www.techflex.com/prod_pet.asp

This comes in several colors and a good number of sizes.

The standard 550 paracord is about 4mm and is a snug fit for the Mogami 2893 if you strip it down. I used 2893 for the whole cable - it has 4 conductors so you split it into two going to each cup. Like FuzzyD, I'm also getting that 6mm PET sleeving to go with Canare L-4E5AT to make another cable. The Canare is 5mm so it should be a nice fit.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #5,812 of 6,017
Quote:
Yeah part of the reason I returned them, I mean the sound quality is amazing it doesn't feel like a $400 dollar headphone, plus you only get like a one year warranty.

Which headphone feels like a $400 headphone?  
basshead.gif

There's a few pieces on the HE-400 that can be pointed out - but, even when compared to the many, many other headphones I've owned in the past, I don't feel the HE-400s (or the HE-5LEs, or HE-500s) were necessarily.  I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-428 headphones and the internal wiring is extremely - and I do mean really thin.  I ended up reworking some of the wire and realized that Sennheiser had placed both conductors within the same black insulated outer jacket.  The wires inside were just treated so that they would not short out.  However, with the wires having a micro coating of some formulated product, there had to be a lot of sound issues that could potentially develop from the cross-talk being experienced via the cable construction.  Actually, there are many headphones out there where a manufacturer could spend ten cents more to provide a superior product for you.  However, they also have to build in obsolescence so that you'll need to buy a new pair within a few years.  Many companies sure do love their repeat customers.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #5,815 of 6,017
Quote:
I ended up reworking some of the wire and realized that Sennheiser had placed both conductors within the same black insulated outer jacket.  The wires inside were just treated so that they would not short out.  However, with the wires having a micro coating of some formulated product, there had to be a lot of sound issues that could potentially develop from the cross-talk being experienced via the cable construction.

Mmm... Tell me more about crosstalk issues between a signal and ground core of the same channel.

Pretty sure that the thinner is better because it should reduce capacitance (which would attenuate high frequencies, iirc), however marginally.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #5,817 of 6,017
What's with this driver issue that seems like it's only with the 400s?  Has this happened to the 4s, 500, 5LEs and 6s as well.  I have all except the 400s they're next.  The 4s are on the way.  The other had 0 problems.  Is this just with the 400s?  What gives?

Is the burn in process Justing is doing working thus far?

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #5,818 of 6,017
Quote:
What's with this driver issue that seems like it's only with the 400s?  Has this happened to the 4s, 500, 5LEs and 6s as well.  I have all except the 400s they're next.  The 4s are on the way.  The other had 0 problems.  Is this just with the 400s?  What gives?

I chalk it up to it being their first headphone to be mass produced rather than being pretty much completely hand made like their other ortho's.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #5,819 of 6,017
Quote:

I can tell you in my case at least, it's not a driver issue, it's a connection problem. On the left side, the little silver tab at the bottom of the driver assembly doesn't make solid contact with the board and when this happens, the sounds distorts, plays at a reduced volume, or cuts out completely. 

I actually removed the entire driver assembly from the casing and a did a little surgery on this part to make sure it was nice and tight, and that fixed things for about a week. I thought it was solved for good, but i guess it started separating again and the problem reoccurred last night. If i push on the bottom of the casing i can get it to start playing again, but i'm done dealing with it. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #5,820 of 6,017
Quote:

I suspect that we're seeing what we are with the HE-400 because of a few reasons.

1) The HE-400 is probably out-selling the other models, due to its price point.

2) The HE-400 discussions on this forum are getting a lot of attention / action, where owners are all chiming in and sharing their experience.  Again, due to the numbers of participants, posts, etc., it could seem as though it is a bigger issue than it is.

3) The HE-400, has undergone 3(?) revisions.  Actually, I believe # 3 was reverted, so we might be back to two revisions.  # 3 was an apparent driver change with the off-white driver enclosure.

4) Finally, HifiMAN doesn't release their issue / return rate statistics, so we don't know if the HE-400 has more flaws, or is on par with the rest of their line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back