New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Dec 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #5,778 of 6,017
Quote:
Looks very nice indeed. That cable is pure sex.

Yeah the little plastic ring is a bit finicky. You really gotta feel for how much it can take before it gives, in order to install/uninstall it with ease. I never have any trouble manipulating them, for instance.

My wife walked by when I was reading this, stopped and said " so a hp cable is sexy?" Of course not. These guys are just crazy, now you are a different story. Gotta think quick at my house. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 (hope she doesn't walk back by). 
redface.gif

Oh, and that cable is dead sexy!!

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #5,779 of 6,017
Quote:
Quote:
Looks very nice indeed. That cable is pure sex.

Yeah the little plastic ring is a bit finicky. You really gotta feel for how much it can take before it gives, in order to install/uninstall it with ease. I never have any trouble manipulating them, for instance.

My wife walked by when I was reading this, stopped and said " so a hp cable is sexy?" Of course not. These guys are just crazy, now you are a different story. Gotta think quick at my house. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 (hope she doesn't walk back by). 
redface.gif

Oh, and that cable is dead sexy!!

You are lucky that the response wasn't:

" Okay, then you can sleep with that cable tonight. "

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #5,781 of 6,017
Quote:
I managed to break one of the 4 small tabs on BOTH of the grill rings while attempting the grill mod. DON'T try to pry them up from the inside edge...
redface.gif
They still fit, just not perfectly. I contacted head-direct.com and was able to order replacement rings though.

Here's the finished product. Looks just like jerg's.

It's not a huge difference in sound to me, but it's worth doing. It removes a little bit of the muffled/closed quality of the sound.

Looks great!  Where did you get your cable sleeving?

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #5,785 of 6,017
Quote:
I have a question regarding the FiiO E17. My laptop has an SPDIF optical port. Should I be using that instead of the USB cable that I'm currently using? Does it matter?

DAC engineers say that USB is capable of better performance.  However, in each case, the particular implementation can vary, so you can only tell for sure by comparing.  (And whatever FiiO recommends would be the way to go.)

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #5,786 of 6,017
If anyone is interested, I eyeballed a more flat EQ with electri-Q(using headphone.com measurements):

I'm liking it so far. Seems to clear things up a bit.

Here's a link to download if anyone is interested, let me know what you think: http://www.mediafire.com/?69z3ngg9aojxx80

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #5,787 of 6,017
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #5,789 of 6,017
Whoops, yes it is.

Fixed it now.

Works for some tracks better then others.

Akcent - Jokero sounded "off" and wrong imo.

But T-Pain - 5 o clock in the morning sounded better with it on.

I'll keep it around, thanks.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #5,790 of 6,017
From what I've heard and read, coax and s/pdif are better suited to tranfer audio data than 2.0 USB. USB can has a higher propensity to lose quality if data sychronization is restricted. That's why a lot of good DACs allow asychronous transfer so the data inflow isn't limited to a certain speed. Coax and s/pdif carry audio-only information, thus having better isolation from PC noise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back