New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Dec 2, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #5,746 of 6,017
Quote:

Sounds like you are fashioning your own version of dogpads.

Also, for the he400 you wouldn't want lambskin as leather just doesn't seem to do these justice. 

True, after experiencing velour for the first time with the HE400s, I can't go back to any form of leather. They get too sweaty in the summer.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #5,747 of 6,017
Quote:

I'll be making my own before the end of next week is up.  
wink.gif

Real lambskin - check
1" Thick High-Denisty Foam - check
Sewing Awl for Leather - check
Heavy upholstery thread - check
25 different ideas in my mind - check

Actually, the first that I intend to work on will be some for the Fostex T50s, though.

Quote:

Sounds like you are fashioning your own version of dogpads.

Also, for the he400 you wouldn't want lambskin as leather just doesn't seem to do these justice. 

I would be in the market for new pads for my HE-500.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #5,748 of 6,017
Wait and see what wje comes up with. He's been known to produce a little magic. Also, if you can be patient I'm working on the improved velours. But honestly, it's slow and time consuming and could fall through for a few different reasons. We'll see after the first of the year where this little project is at. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #5,749 of 6,017
With the HFM velours, are other people experiencing a lot of play in terms of how much they can move around? Mine seem to be able to move up and down by nearly a centimetre when attached which makes me concerned that mismatching in their positioning could be affecting the sound between left and right.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #5,750 of 6,017
They shouldn't be moving much at all. But then, a cm isn't very much. It's easy not think that you've got the fourth clip in place when it's really not and this could be the case for you. The first three are pretty easy. But on the fourth I like to use a very small flat blade screwdriver, be careful though, and grab the last clip and nudge it in place. Once all four clips are in place, you'll have a good fit.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #5,752 of 6,017
Quote:
Should I get the Asgard or Matrix M-Stage to amp my HE400s?

I don't have experience with both, but i do have an M-stage and it pairs very well. It has two RCA inputs whereas the Asgard has one. It also has four gain switches as well as preamp functionality. Also importantly for me, it runs very cool.

You can't go wrong with either though.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #5,753 of 6,017
Quote:

I don't have experience with both, but i do have an M-stage and it pairs very well. It has two RCA inputs whereas the Asgard has one. It also has four gain switches as well as preamp functionality. Also importantly for me, it runs very cool.

"Pre-amp functionality"?

What's that!? 

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #5,755 of 6,017
Quote:

Im also using an M-Stage and it sounds great.  Just waiting for the Class-A biased mod to arrive from Tam Audio, after that the credit card is getting cut up!

Edit: The dual inputs on the M-stage are invaluable imo, i have one running from my Xonar D2X for gaming and the other running from my UD100 DAC for listening to music.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #5,756 of 6,017
Quote:

Im also using an M-Stage and it sounds great.  Just waiting for the Class-A biased mod to arrive from Tam Audio, after that the credit card is getting cut up!

Edit: The dual inputs on the M-stage are invaluable imo, i have one running from my Xonar D2X for gaming and the other running from my UD100 DAC for listening to music.

Oh yeah, also changeable opamps! Curious but which mod did you go for DanPluck?

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #5,758 of 6,017
Velour pads do help the mids come up to a reasonable level, thanks to all who suggested that.

So, is there any particular aftermarket cable that you can recommend ?

How is the quality of the stock cable vs. other manufacturers' stock cable vs aftermarket cables ?

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #5,759 of 6,017
Quote:

So, is there any particular aftermarket cable that you can recommend ?

How is the quality of the stock cable vs. other manufacturers' stock cable vs aftermarket cables ?

If you're talking about the sound quality, I think most people can agree that there's not much of an improvement there, but if you think the stock cable is too long or stiff, and you like the look of an aftermarket cable you should probably get one. I definitely think Toxic Cables is doing a great job now, especially with their new French Silk Cables, which Q-audio used to do but now force you to buy $30 adapters so you can use it with HiFiMan headphones.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #5,760 of 6,017
Quote:
If you're talking about the sound quality, I think most people can agree that there's not much of an improvement there, but if you think the stock cable is too long or stiff, and you like the look of an aftermarket cable you should probably get one. I definitely think Toxic Cables is doing a great job now, especially with their new French Silk Cables, which Q-audio used to do but now force you to buy $30 adapters so you can use it with HiFiMan headphones.

Didn't Toxic just come of with the silk cables this weekend? I must say that the Q audio cable is fantastic!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back