New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Dec 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5,837 of 6,017
Quote:
About the HiFiman cable...the top of the left connector is firm while the one on the right is loose...is that supposed to be how it is? apparently they sent me another cable without me knowing but it's in the same condition as the last one

EDIT: the "connectors" i'm talking about are these parts

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zf4swp.png

Have you tried to tighten the loose one with your fingers to see if it can go a bit tighter on the threads of the connector on the cup?  I'd first suspect that the cable could be slightly loose, and resulting in what you have reported.  I doubt that HifiMAN manufactures the "RG" connectors that are used with the cable.  I, personally, have never come across a bad connector - but, I'm referring to a lot of cable TV connections, which use basically the same connector, but larger.   Then, there is always a first time ...

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #5,838 of 6,017
Quote:

Have you tried to tighten the loose one with your fingers to see if it can go a bit tighter on the threads of the connector on the cup?  I'd first suspect that the cable could be slightly loose, and resulting in what you have reported.  I doubt that HifiMAN manufactures the "RG" connectors that are used with the cable.  I, personally, have never come across a bad connector - but, I'm referring to a lot of cable TV connections, which use basically the same connector, but larger.   Then, there is always a first time ...

Nope, I tried pushing on it, turning it, and doing both at the same time. It'll stay loose, just like the last cable they sent me.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #5,839 of 6,017
The hp's should probably come with a small plastic "wrench" to allow for a more secure fastening than what you can do by hand and not have to break out the needle nose pliers!! 

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #5,840 of 6,017
Right beofre I shipped the HE400s back, I put the pleather back on. The mid recession compared to the velour pads was obvious. It's a crime to not use the velour pads on the HE400, really.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #5,843 of 6,017
Quote:

The velours prevent some of the resonance that pleather pads cause, by leaking out a lot of the sound that's hitting the inner rims of the pad. Consequently the sound becomes cleaner.

The most obvious way you can tell is that with the pleathers, HE500 or HE400s sound a bit "cupped". But most of that effect is eliminated with a pad switch to velours.

Are you sure that's really happening, jerg? Have you actually seen any of the sound waves bouncing around the rim of the pleathers?

I just want to know so that when I put the prickly, hard velours on I can be satisfied that I'm suffering in a good cause. You know we headfier's will bear anything for the tiniest improvement.
biggrin.gif

BTW: Does anyone else find the earpads really hard to get on these phones? Someone said to bend them slightly, but I don't have the strength. Takes me ages.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #5,844 of 6,017
There is a trick to it, you don't even have to bend that much if you do it right. Practice makes perfect. They were a downright pain at first, but it's so easy after a couple of tries. You literally bend it upwards just to be able to slide it under... hard to explain...

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #5,845 of 6,017
I actually saw a few sound waves bouncing off the pleathers, but I scolded them and they went right back in. 
blink.gif

Seriously I find the velours just as comfortable. You just can't go back once you spent some time with the velours. To get the pads changed out I put the first three tabs in...they go pretty easy. Then I carefully use a tiny screwdriver, substitute here if you want, and pop the last tab in. Works like a charm!!

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #5,849 of 6,017
^^ There are lots of one liners for this...but I'll be good and refrain as this is a family forum. :D

Why I oughta! Damn... you got me on that one, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back