New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Dec 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #5,854 of 6,017
More of it?  

Extends deeper?
More accurate?
Tighter?
More Impact?  (you say LCD-2)
More rumble?

Lol thanks for asking for a clarification. More of it vs more impact sounds like the same thing. I didn't wanna get into that discussion again.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #5,855 of 6,017
When it comes to HE400 vs LCD2/3 discussions, im not too interested in bass comparisons. They all very good, and that's all that matters. I was hoping on comparisons on other aspects such as mids, highs, soundstage, etc. And more importantly, how much better one headphone is at said aspect than the other. If I spend $2000 on an LCD3, will it obliterate the HE400? The price difference suggests it should, but then again the HE400 is awesome value and the LCD3 is known not to be the best value.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #5,856 of 6,017
Quote:

More of it?  

Extends deeper?
More accurate?
Tighter?
More Impact?  (you say LCD-2)
More rumble?

I asked mattTCG about the extension in particular, and according to him, the LCD-2 should be more along the lines of a Denon, in which it's very strong down to the upper 20hz region, around 30hz.  HE-400 starts a gradual decline at 40hz, and its 30hz isn't as strong in comparison, if I'm getting that right.  Because there is less of it quantity wise, I assume it's more accurate.  HE-400 is a bit bass enhanced as it stands.  Square waves of LCD-2's bass show that it is very tight down low, thus will provide more authority there.

A lot of people have said LCD-2s bass is more impactful despite having less quantity, including Purrin.  I know it may be witchcraft to MadLustEnvy, but that's just the popular consensus on the LCD's bass.  HE-500 for instance, also has more bass quantity than LCD2 according to others.

Rumble I can't comment on.  I vaguely know what people mean by it, but it's a word that I rather not describe with music, as it's rather ambiguous.

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #5,857 of 6,017
Quote:

BTW: Does anyone else find the earpads really hard to get on these phones? Someone said to bend them slightly, but I don't have the strength. Takes me ages.

Something is wrong there.  There's only a little, flimsy plastic ring inside the earpads.  Should be easily malleable. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #5,859 of 6,017
Quote:
When it comes to HE400 vs LCD2/3 discussions, im not too interested in bass comparisons. They all very good, and that's all that matters. I was hoping on comparisons on other aspects such as mids, highs, soundstage, etc. And more importantly, how much better one headphone is at said aspect than the other. If I spend $2000 on an LCD3, will it obliterate the HE400? The price difference suggests it should, but then again the HE400 is awesome value and the LCD3 is known not to be the best value.

IMO the only thing that can be compared is the bass.  Well maybe soundstage because the LCDs don't really excel in that area.  Imaging, smooth highs, (mids?? as long as the bass doen't bleed in - that I don't know about the 400s It doesn't on the LCDs) all will lean towards the LCDs IMO....

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #5,860 of 6,017
Yes.  And frankly, people usually associate rumble with low, low bass.  But that's not all the times true.  Looking at energy spectrums over at AVS from time to time, you realize movies use full spectrum bass that's cleverly mixed to sound low.  So in reality it could just be more of a raw quantity thing. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #5,861 of 6,017
Quote:

IMO the only thing that can be compared is the bass.  Well maybe soundstage because the LCDs don't really excel in that area.  Imaging, smooth highs, (mids?? as long as the bass doen't bleed in - that I don't know about the 400s It doesn't on the LCDs) all will lean towards the LCDs IMO....

LCD2s sound pretty claustrophobic compared to HE6 and HE400s. HE500s are halfway between them. LCD3s are between LCD2 and HE500 in that regard. IMO openness is a pretty important criteria, although it doesn't necessarily correlate with soundstage/imaging, but has some relation to it, as well as to airiness and damping.

Yes. From my audition impressions, LCD3s are like an uber HE400 with much smoother (and a touch darker) treble, more liquid mids, and a more extended/textured bass. The only thing HE400s have over LCD3s are, again, openness of sound. In that regard though HE6 crushes both of these. Actually HE6 is comparable with LCD3 in all other categories as well, it just has a touch more overall treble quantity than what I'd consider as perfectly realistic.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #5,862 of 6,017
Nice impressions jerg, thanks for that. I feel like the LCD3 would be the perfect upgrade from the HE400 for me. I like a dark headphone and some call the LCD3 the king of darkness.

Something else i found, the HE400 weighs 440 grams, the LCD2/3 weigh 550 grams. A lot of people mention how heavy the audeze phones are, but in all honesty if it's only 110 grams heavier than the HE400 then that would be fine for me. 

Anyway, sorry for the slight off topic, I just can't help but think..

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #5,863 of 6,017
Quote:

I asked mattTCG about the extension in particular, and according to him, the LCD-2 should be more along the lines of a Denon, in which it's very strong down to the upper 20hz region, around 30hz.  HE-400 starts a gradual decline at 40hz, and its 30hz isn't as strong in comparison, if I'm getting that right.  Because there is less of it quantity wise, I assume it's more accurate.  HE-400 is a bit bass enhanced as it stands.  Square waves of LCD-2's bass show that it is very tight down low, thus will provide more authority there.

A lot of people have said LCD-2s bass is more impactful despite having less quantity, including Purrin.  I know it may be witchcraft to MadLustEnvy, but that's just the popular consensus on the LCD's bass.  HE-500 for instance, also has more bass quantity than LCD2 according to others.

Rumble I can't comment on.  I vaguely know what people mean by it, but it's a word that I rather not describe with music, as it's rather ambiguous.

This is pretty accurate on the bass comparison between the lcd2 and he400. But, the lcd3 is on an entirely different planet. I wouldn't even begin to make comparisons with it and the he400...it's just that much better.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #5,864 of 6,017
Quote:
Nice impressions jerg, thanks for that. I feel like the LCD3 would be the perfect upgrade from the HE400 for me. I like a dark headphone and some call the LCD3 the king of darkness.

Something else i found, the HE400 weighs 440 grams, the LCD2/3 weigh 550 grams. A lot of people mention how heavy the audeze phones are, but in all honesty if it's only 110 grams heavier than the HE400 then that would be fine for me. 

Anyway, sorry for the slight off topic, I just can't help but think..

Lol, that's a pretty huge amount actually. Heck, even the 60 g difference between HE500 and HE400s are pretty huge to my perception. HE500s are on the border of being too heavy for long-term listening for my neck, not quite but cutting it pretty close.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #5,865 of 6,017
Quote:

Lol, that's a pretty huge amount actually. Heck, even the 60 g difference between HE500 and HE400s are pretty huge to my perception. HE500s are on the border of being too heavy for long-term listening for my neck, not quite but cutting it pretty close.

I realize that may be a huge amount for most, but my skinny neck seems to have some godly muscles in it, the HE400 feel like a pillow on my head, so I think I'll be fine with the added weight 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back