New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #3,751 of 6,017
I think +4 is the limit. +6 and more just make the bass too loose.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #3,753 of 6,017
Quote:
Try this EQ on top of the bass boost: 

Trust me.

OH YOU! Actually my bass boost on that eq would be like 9db+ 30hz and 14db+ 60 HZ with everything else flat, maybe a tiny boost at 8k and 16k. I have the eq thing on my essense card, but it's so much easier just to use the iTunes one and lower the "preamp" on it. Not sure if that is destroying the music or not, the only thing I can notice is it robs some of the low-mid range for some reason.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #3,755 of 6,017
Quote:
I just got home from a meet where I finally had a chance to revisit the HE-400. Call me impressed! Tight, deep, controlled bass that I find better than the LCD-2 and HE-500. Sparkly non-fatiguing treble like I've never heard from a planar before, and flat mids that aren't too warm like the HE-500 and LCD-2. These aren't as refined as the LCD-3, but I think the FR might be more to my liking - a little more fun sounding.

I was in the first group who pre-ordered it last spring for $349 and was so disappointed in the sound when I got it. I kept them for a couple weeks hoping they (or I) might settle in a bit, but it didn't happen. During this time, reports of failing drivers started coming in and that was the nail in the coffin for me. I decided to return them for a refund.

Now I'm feeling a little conflicted. I really like the HE-400 - a lot! But can I live with being "penalized" $50 for re-buying a headphone that now sounds like it should have from the beginning?

Where did you order your HE-400's from and when? I hope the ones I ordered will arrive fine

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #3,757 of 6,017
Damn it. One of my velour's inner lining has ripped open. Not a detriment to the sound quality, but I guess it's time to order a replacement.

I'm guessing it was when I was experimenting with that god awful spacer off the pleathers that stretched the velour a bit too much.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #3,759 of 6,017
Quote:
Damn it. One of my velour's inner lining has ripped open. Not a detriment to the sound quality, but I guess it's time to order a replacement.
I'm guessing it was when I was experimenting with that god awful spacer off the pleathers that stretched the velour a bit too much.

This happened to me also. They are just not that well made, but man do they sound good for $10!!

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #3,760 of 6,017
As I am getting closer and closer to ordering the he400's I'm becoming more interested in eliminating their cons, or in other words make them comfortable.
Audeze pads look great as well as their headband,  but I'm not shure the latter would fit. Anyone tried it?

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #3,761 of 6,017
This happened to me also. They are just not that well made, but man do they sound good for $10!!

Hell yeah. It's frustrating having to fork another $16 though. No more experimenting with my next pads. Putting them on and not taking them off for ANYTHING, other than when they need cleaning.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #3,762 of 6,017
Quote:
As I am getting closer and closer to ordering the he400's I'm becoming more interested in eliminating their cons, or in other words make them comfortable.
Audeze pads look great as well as their headband,  but I'm not shure the latter would fit. Anyone tried it?

To my knowledge they would not fit. They have a different locking mechanism. But man, would it be nice to have a pair of Audeze velours on the he400!!

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3,764 of 6,017
Quote:

Mea culpa
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back