New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #3,766 of 6,017
JUST RECEIVED MY REPLACEMENT PAIR! Took it apart and something very interesting:

Looks like it's another revision change.

The plastic used in the driver reinforcement is now a sandy colour rather than the translucent white plastic used in rev. 2.

Also unless I'm seeing things, the tracings on the diaphragm seem a bit nicer and less course than my previous returned pairs.

Edit: initial sonic impressions seem to indicate that it is a tad leaner and airy-er than I remembered how the older one sounded (still with velours and my modded grills). Not sure if burn-in will change that.

Something is very different about the mids...hard to pinpoint.

Soundstage is definitely broader, less intimate.

There seems to be an overall broadband raising in treble levels relative to how the older sound was.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3,770 of 6,017
Quote:
JUST RECEIVED MY REPLACEMENT PAIR! Took it apart and something very interesting:

Looks like it's another revision change.

The plastic used in the driver reinforcement is now a sandy colour rather than the translucent white plastic used in rev. 2.

Also unless I'm seeing things, the tracings on the diaphragm seem a bit nicer and less course than my previous returned pairs.

Edit: initial sonic impressions seem to indicate that it is a tad leaner and airy-er than I remembered how the older one sounded (still with velours and my modded grills). Not sure if burn-in will change that.

Something is very different about the mids...hard to pinpoint.

Soundstage is definitely broader, less intimate.

There seems to be an overall broadband raising in treble levels relative to how the older sound was.

jerg, you're the most depressing person in this thread.
biggrin.gif

Interesting the sound is so different...you make them sound HD650-ish.  Though HE-400 does seem to have a big burn-in cycle, as does HE-6 (not a long cycle, just a lot of burn-in over a short period of time.) 

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #3,771 of 6,017
well this sucks, got home last night from work and the right driver wasn't working at all.  Sent them out today for replacement.  Anyone here who has RMA'd through head direct know how long it typically takes to get a replacement pair?

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3,774 of 6,017
Quote:
well this sucks, got home last night from work and the right driver wasn't working at all.  Sent them out today for replacement.  Anyone here who has RMA'd through head direct know how long it typically takes to get a replacement pair?

What troubleshooting steps have you gone through?

Cases like this where a driver goes out completely could be due to something extremely trivial all the way to something catastrophic.

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #3,775 of 6,017
Quote:

What troubleshooting steps have you gone through?

Cases like this where a driver goes out completely could be due to something extremely trivial all the way to something catastrophic.

+1.  The SMC connectors simply suck.  Make certain that the headphone cables are firmly screwed into the cups still.  I've had several times where they start fritzing or getting static-y, or are lower in volume on one side, or drop out.  One time it had unscrwed so far on its own that just touching the cable was enough for the whole thing to fall out.  And the other side wasn't far behind!

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #3,776 of 6,017
Tried different sources, Switched the cables to the cups to be sure it wasn't one of the cable ends.  took off the pad and took a quick look at the driver for any obvious issues but didn't do anything too intrusive. Already sent out though so either way I'm in for a wait.  From the sound of it I should've posted something here first to get a few more ideas for troubleshooting. Oh well, live and learn.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3,777 of 6,017
So about it for you. The quality control at release was somewhat question, but seems to have gotten much better of late with the last revision. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3,778 of 6,017
Quote:
So about it for you. The quality control at release was somewhat question, but seems to have gotten considerably (but not close to great) better of late with the last revisions

Fixed it for you 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3,779 of 6,017
Yeah, it's to bad about the QC issues these have had.  Because other than that they are amazing headphones for the price.  I'm not going to hold anything against hifiman as I know there are always lemons out there, just wish it wasn't me who got it. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back