New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #3,721 of 6,017
I just received the HE-400 today and it seems to be DOA. The right driver must be defective since no sound comes out and something is rattling inside the right cup. Also it seems like the whole driver is not secured properly. If I pull on the pad the whole driver almost comes out of the cup. I waited to order these hoping that the QC problems I read about would be fixed by now but unfortunately that's not the case. I'm pretty disappointed since I read so many good things but I can't get over the nagging thought of a replacement dying on me. I'm torn between getting a refund or a replacemt. Is anyone having issues with these after using them for a few months?

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #3,723 of 6,017
Sorry to hear, i got mine few days ago and so far perfect! (got velours too)
gs1000.gif

This is my first real "hifi" headphone after modded CAL!:s. After few days of listening WOW!! these sound so good compared to them! I also have E17 which I'm really happy with and i think i will be saving up for shiit stuff too...
On what volume lvls do you listen to E17? I'm currently enjoying them on +12 gain,  vol 25 and +2 bass 
dt880smile.png

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #3,724 of 6,017
Quote:
I just received the HE-400 today and it seems to be DOA. The right driver must be defective since no sound comes out and something is rattling inside the right cup. Also it seems like the whole driver is not secured properly. If I pull on the pad the whole driver almost comes out of the cup. I waited to order these hoping that the QC problems I read about would be fixed by now but unfortunately that's not the case. I'm pretty disappointed since I read so many good things but I can't get over the nagging thought of a replacement dying on me. I'm torn between getting a refund or a replacemt. Is anyone having issues with these after using them for a few months?

Take the pads off and check out the insides for sure, it might be as simple as a few loose screws.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #3,727 of 6,017
I did some searching/listening on iTunes and purchased ATB - Distant Earth Deluxe Edition. I've been kind of losing my love for the HE400 in favour of the HD700 but listening to this album with the HE400 has brought the magic back.  I'm really enjoying it!

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #3,728 of 6,017
I find a lot of electronica works fantastic on these things.

Right now Broken Soul Jamboree by Tipper is blowing my mind. Extremely good display of the detail that these things can bring out and a lot of nice sub bass as well. This song sounds completely different than I remember before, especially the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCIXH6sb1ss

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3,729 of 6,017
Oh man, you guys are going to kick me off this thread.. just switched over to the HD700 (same album) and it's just kick butt.  Add tighter bass (thought just a tad less presence but deeper) and an open and airy sound to the mids.. perfection.. maybe I'm a HE500 kind of guy
blink.gif
 Got to try them out someday soon. (I'll keep quiet now)
Quote:
I find a lot of electronica works fantastic on these things.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3,730 of 6,017
Quote:
Oh man, you guys are going to kick me off this thread.. just switched over to the HD700 (same album) and it's just kick butt.  Add tighter bass (thought just a tad less presence but deeper) and an open and airy sound to the mids.. perfection.. maybe I'm a HE500 kind of guy
blink.gif
 Got to try them out someday soon. (I'll keep quiet now)

Yeah your constant HD700 brag does get a bit too frequent at times lol.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,735 of 6,017
Quote:
Well, i guess all of their "bigger" albums, from say OK Computer, to Kid A, to In Rainbows. That should cover their "basics"

Those work great with HE400, the more vocally-focused earlier albums are still good but HE500s, for instance, do vocals better than HE400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back