New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Mar 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #121 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think this has been posted yet on here.

Pre-order announcement from Head-Direct:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f87/he...eorder-480344/

"HE-5LE headphones will be released between April 15th to 20th. Retail price will be $699. We are doing preorder right now at $649. Preorder price will be The first batch HE-5LE will be only 20 pcs. Price will raise to $699 on April 20th. HE-5LE will be plastic casing with beautiful black paint. HE-5LE headphones have different drivers from HE-5, with better balance and slightly higher efficiency. Will provide pictures on early April."

Thanks for the link.
Would be interested to know if this one replaces the HE-5 or if it will be a separate run (Limited Edition as implying by the name).

Guess we will have to wait for early April to see..

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #122 of 1,933
My pair of HE-5's have lasted a good 3 months now with absolutely no issues, and I am actually really happy I got the wood, since I love the natural look. It should be interesting to see if original HE-5's go up in value, but it would seem odd to me if the HE-5LE was replacing the previous model totally... Well I guess I have to be patient and see! But I am happy with my current decision! Cheers,

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #123 of 1,933
The HE-5's are taken off the Head-Direct website, seems like a complete replacement.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #125 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It IS as some people have mentioned a tad on the bright side, but I feel like if this is numbed too much it's going to lose some of what makes it so special......

Have you heard any other orthos? I can say with complete certainty that the magic is not because it is bright. In fact, that bright quality is probably bringing them down because the way I see it the whole point of orthodynamic technology is the ability to have a detailed yet completely smooth presentation with no sacrifice in bass quantity or quality, and lush, organic, natural mids without any dips or peaks in frequency response. Something dynamic headphones don't seem capable of (for the most part)

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #126 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard any other orthos? I can say with complete certainty that the magic is not because it is bright. In fact, that bright quality is probably bringing them down because the way I see it the whole point of orthodynamic technology is the ability to have a detailed yet completely smooth presentation with no sacrifice in bass quantity or quality, and lush, organic, natural mids without any dips or peaks in frequency response. Something dynamic headphones don't seem capable of (for the most part)

To me the HE-5 sounds more like sweet dynamic hps, and have nothing to do with my old Fostex T-20 v2.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #128 of 1,933
its funny how so many of you complained about the wood of the he5's and than complaints are just as loud when we think the wood is being phased out.

its also amazing how easy it is to be turned off of what may be amazing headphones by people nitpicking even the sweetest cans so much that you think they must be junk if you read the wrong comment and haven't heard them...

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #129 of 1,933
Any possibility that the LE's are being released to tide us over while they work on some of the manufacturing issues they had with the original HE-5, as opposed to outright replacing them because of those issues?

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #130 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its funny how so many of you complained about the wood of the he5's and than complaints are just as loud when we think the wood is being phased out.

Aside from the possibility that the people who complained about the wood are different people than the people who complained about the wood phasing out... This just indicates that said people want the HE-5's with better wood casing instead of switching over to plastic.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #131 of 1,933
i just tried to call head-fi to see if i can glean anymore info out of them. they were closed, but amazingly the woman called me from her mobile from a restaurant! i didnt even leave a message! anyway it was too noisy and she is gonna call me back... ill post any details i can get, here are the questions im gonna ask... any other suggestions?

is the he5 still available?
if so how much does it cost?
if not will it ever be available again?
if so when?

will there be a offer for a he5le and e5 combo pricing?
if so how much?

how many pre-order LE's are left? it says only 20 will be sold initially
whats the ship date of the LE's
what can u tell me about them - its hard to decide to get them with no information posted on our site..

when are LE photos coming?

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #132 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any possibility that the LE's are being released to tide us over while they work on some of the manufacturing issues they had with the original HE-5, as opposed to outright replacing them because of those issues?

What about the sonic issues? That's a bigger concern.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #133 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the sonic issues? That's a bigger concern.

It's not my place to comment on that, but I'm sure if Head-direct feels that there is sonic issues to be addressed, they will do so at the same time they address those other issues. Again, that is under the assumption that that is what they are doing that with the HE-5.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #134 of 1,933
I heard the HE-5 and the LE's at the Head-Fi meet a few weeks ago here in NY. I listened to both headphones connected to Fang's own amp (I don't think it was the EF2). I can't remember the source so my comments should be read temperately. Also, unfortunately, the conditions were such that it was impossible to do a critical analysis of both of these headphones. With that said, I really felt like the LE's were considerably better sounding than the HE-5. I felt like everything about the LE's was a bigger, fuller version of the HE-5 with better detail and clarity. For the price, I would consider the LE's a bargain too. Mind you, I was listening to the prototype and not the production model LE. Also, the LE was housed in wood, not plastic. Everyone knows by now what an aesthetic snob I am and I quite liked the overall design of the LE. For those who like the wood and for those against wood, I thought that the wood housing was appropriate but needed refinement. I felt like asking Fang if he would custom make me an LE using cocobolo, finely sanded, and lacquered (for an extra fee, of course). Mmmwah! That would be sweet.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #135 of 1,933
funny Fang posted saying LE's will be plastic, so maybe the demo model was not true to the production form... in that case i suppose its hard to say if your demo is representative of the production... too bad cause you just about convinced me to preorder... maybe my conversation tonight with the head direct woman will push me over the edge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back