New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Jul 22, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #512 of 2,616
16 ohm is OK. We have test it. I think the Top reviewers in Head-fi will assist us to test it soon.

Hi, Good to hear what you are saying ! And The AP200 seems to have many great features! It could really be a Great DAP

However, The only "early" review posted on Head-fi, in this thread, was not so kind concerning the sound quality.... As far as I know, none of the people who have the Test Samples of the AP200 have posted a review yet. ( Guess these are the "Top reviewers" that you mention ? )

Just so you know, this lack of any independent sound quality review, And the "high" output impedance, are the main things that made me delete my kickstarter support.

I want to like the AP200 but without better understanding, cannot at this time.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #513 of 2,616
Hi, Good to hear what you are saying ! And The AP200 seems to have many great features! It could really be a Great DAP

However, The only "early" review posted on Head-fi, in this thread, was not so kind concerning the sound quality.... As far as I know, none of the people who have the Test Samples of the AP200 have posted a review yet. ( Guess these are the "Top reviewers" that you mention ? )

Just so you know, this lack of any independent sound quality review, And the "high" output impedance, are the main things that made me delete my kickstarter support.

Oh well, I'm glad that there is more competition in this price area, it keeps pushing the envelope.

I really hope that the people who supported the KS will be happy with their investment and I really hope that they'll receive a DAP they like and enjoy

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #514 of 2,616
Oh well, I'm glad that there is more competition in this price area, it keeps pushing the envelope.

I really hope that the people who supported the KS will be happy with their investment and I really hope that they'll receive a DAP they like and enjoy

Basing a decision on whether to back this on preliminary impressions of prototype samples or even on the output impedance spec indicates one is not ready for crowdfunding. I recently backed another crowdfunded Android DAP, which has exemplary specs and all kinds of positive review impressions and it was an absolute nightmare. The campaign finally delivered to some of its backers over a year late, and some others not at all yet, and the sound of the unit is very much smartphone like in quality. Hidizs at least has some track record with DAP's. And the Shanling M2S with the same output impedance spec is extremely well regarded. I'm not backing this, because I had such a bad experience with the other product and the discount isn't as large as it probably should be, but if they deliver on the project, I will be happy to pay full price. Not too worried about the impedance spec. It matters, but I think too much is made of it, and I place little importance on impressions of free or non-production samples.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #516 of 2,616
If I understand and I follow the 1 to 8 rule for impedance, 34+ should be the place I aim.

Would be nice to get some independent reviews, especially on the SQ of the AP200 before the KS campaign ends.

Anyway, I’m super excited about all this.

Cheers.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #519 of 2,616
The output impedance of AP200 is based on the TPA6120 official spec, which is recommended by TI company. The load testing proves that it will not not affect the sound quality.

@Hidizs Hk I'm curious how did you measure/calcuate the output impedance?

Just asking because I remember there was once some confusion about some of Shanling's high Zout specs because they were using maximum output into a large load while most portable DAP/amp makers set their output for 1vrms and 32 ohms for their test load (see this thread https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/s...discussion-thread.799595/page-6#post-12517303 )

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #520 of 2,616
@Hidizs Hk I'm curious how did you measure/calcuate the output impedance?

Just asking because I remember there was once some confusion about some of Shanling's high Zout specs because they were using maximum output into a large load while most portable DAP/amp makers set their output for 1vrms and 32 ohms for their test load (see this thread https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/s...discussion-thread.799595/page-6#post-12517303 )

I am guessing that they measured it with a 32Ohm static resistance load ? (re: their spec sheet says 32 Ohm loaded)

In this link someone playing with the TPA6120 was able to get output impedance below 1 ohm by using "0805 chip ferrites" ...
Though this did increase distortion some. (Yin-Yang - Inside every good is some evil, Inside every evil is some good !)
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/06/qrv09-diy-headphone-amp.html
In same article he mentions that the stock TPA6120 has output impedance of 10 ohms, so the 4.8 Ohm may be after Hidizs' reduced it some?

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #521 of 2,616
Agreed. I backed out because of lack of sound impressions and usability review. If they can get some headfiers to review thus dap before KS ends, I will support it.
Hi, about the sound of AP200, we have send many sample to the Top reviewers for their advice before we release AP200 on Kickstarter. We also make improvement on their advice. Many thanks for their help. They will post their AP200 reviews soon. Kindly wait for its coming.

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #522 of 2,616
If I understand and I follow the 1 to 8 rule for impedance, 34+ should be the place I aim.

Would be nice to get some independent reviews, especially on the SQ of the AP200 before the KS campaign ends.

Anyway, I’m super excited about all this.

Cheers.
The reviews on head-fi will coming soon by the head-fi top reviewers.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #524 of 2,616

I understand where you coming from. It would be nice to hear from more of the reviews that have a sample. Maybe once final firmware is released we will hear something.

But, there are always those people that won't like something even if the overwhelming majority does. So, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #525 of 2,616
any idea how ap200 would compare to Pioneer XDP-100R ? especially after output power limitation removal for pioneer with latest firmware. am only looking for any advise but only regarding sound quality / power , don't care about any fancy bounces

100r can be bought almost for the same price as ap200 so I really need an advise here please

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back