New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Aug 31, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #886 of 2,616
I think that it is a little early to say, but if 200GB mSD cards work, theoretically 400 GB should work as well, BUT it might be slow, all devices might struggle with such a large database...

@Hidizs Hk could test this. Or let us know if there is a limit to the number of tracks/song files that the AP200 can handle ? In Mp3 the database would be higher than with DSD files.... So speed might be more related to the number of files?

Would this be related to the RAM? or the Processor?, or Android version ? Or all of these? Or something else?

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #887 of 2,616
@Hidizs Hk could test this. Or let us know if there is a limit to the number of tracks/song files that the AP200 can handle ? In Mp3 the database would be higher than with DSD files.... So speed might be more related to the number of files?

Would this be related to the RAM? or the Processor?, or Android version ? Or all of these? Or something else?

Mostly number of files, RAM and ROM.

If the system can open the card itself, I mean if the cards are backwards compatible, what could slow the system is the number of files.

If using DSD or large files, we should all be fine though!

It is just a rule of thumb, I like to not fill every bit of space with MP3s...

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #888 of 2,616
Woohooo!

Hidizs is doing their jobs well!

I can't wait the next firmware update to see how AP200 will look like with a bit more time!

George, any update on your SQ impressions, you mentioned that it was competitive in its price category, what DAP's have you heard so far that you think sound better?

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #889 of 2,616
George, any update on your SQ impressions, you mentioned that it was competitive in its price category, what DAP's have you heard so far that you think sound better?

In this price category, I'm not sure if any of the DAPs sound better, but rather different.

If we're talking strictly about the technical aspect of the sound, maybe HiFiMAN Megamini might have some technical advantages in this price area, but it might be both more expensive, has some hiss, and it is a minilaistic DAP, it has only the basic features, compared to AP200.

All in all, I'm still waiting to receive M2s and X3-3, so cannot talk about them.

You can ask for a comparison with a specific DAP and I'll try my best to help!

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #890 of 2,616
In this price category, I'm not sure if any of the DAPs sound better, but rather different.

If we're talking strictly about the technical aspect of the sound, maybe HiFiMAN Megamini might have some technical advantages in this price area, but it might be both more expensive, has some hiss, and it is a minilaistic DAP, it has only the basic features, compared to AP200.

All in all, I'm still waiting to receive M2s and X3-3, so cannot talk about them.

You can ask for a comparison with a specific DAP and I'll try my best to help!
HiFiMAN MegaMini better? IMO the AP200 is much better. The stage height is crazy on this thing for the price. Width is excellent. Depth, meh. Power is good, and resolution is good.

I like me some HiFiMAN, but IMO MegaMini is average in every way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #891 of 2,616
HiFiMAN MegaMini better? IMO the AP200 is much better. The stage height is crazy on this thing for the price. Width is excellent. Depth, meh. Power is good, and resolution is good.

I like me some HiFiMAN, but IMO MegaMini is average in every way.

You might be right and I might need more time with both before being absolutely sure of my words, this is why I said maybe Megamini. At this exact price point, I'm still waiting for the package of m2s and X3-3 to arrive.

At any rate, AP200 might be one of the best one can get in this price range. I'm still waiting on the firmware fix before comitting to such a description, it is why I didn't fully review it yet.

BTW, I think that if FiiO X5-3 falls in a similar price area, it could be an interesting comparison, but that is if one really likes smooth signatures, AP200 is more neutral, and depending on one's tastes, this is a good thing, X5-3 has really devoted lovers, but also people who wish it had a bit more spark in the treble.

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #892 of 2,616
X5iii does l
You might be right and I might need more time with both before being absolutely sure of my words, this is why I said maybe Megamini. At this exact price point, I'm still waiting for the package of m2s and X3-3 to arrive.

At any rate, AP200 might be one of the best one can get in this price range. I'm still waiting on the firmware fix before comitting to such a description, it is why I didn't fully review it yet.

BTW, I think that if FiiO X5-3 falls in a similar price area, it could be an interesting comparison, but that is if one really likes smooth signatures, AP200 is more neutral, and depending on one's tastes, this is a good thing, X5-3 has really devoted lovers, but also people who wish it had a bit more spark in the treble.
X5iii does lots of stuff, but is bested on SQ by the Aune M1s. Not even a competition.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #893 of 2,616
X5iii does l

X5iii does lots of stuff, but is bested on SQ by the Aune M1s. Not even a competition.

How does it compare to the Echobox Explorer, which you have long held in high regard. It "does lots of stuff" too, well not really, it doesn't do that, and what it does it does poorly. Why have you disappeared in regards to the Explorer after months and years of defending and promoting the company and device? What they shipped to you was utter garbage, yet you seem to be OK and content and silent about it. Any explanation????

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #894 of 2,616
X5iii does l

I have not heard M1s, so can't comment on it and how it performs, but for smooth / warm signature lovers, x5-3 is really good, has been held in high regard by tons of people, myself included. My taste is much more on the dry / bright / neutral side of things, but I can see why people like X5-3.

Same for AP200, it is a lovely DAP that does sound quality, build quality, and even firmware quite well. I'm just holding out until all glitches are sorted out, it feels more fair to review it afterwards.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #895 of 2,616
so are these actually SHIPPING yet??? I want a new toy to play with, but I am not too keen on paying, then waiting without an estimated firm ship date update. Massdrop is killing my patience as it is.

(lucky :lol:, I didn't even know of this device until I saw the review on headfonics)

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #896 of 2,616
How does it compare to the Echobox Explorer, which you have long held in high regard. It "does lots of stuff" too, well not really, it doesn't do that, and what it does it does poorly. Why have you disappeared in regards to the Explorer after months and years of defending and promoting the company and device? What they shipped to you was utter garbage, yet you seem to be OK and content and silent about it. Any explanation????

To answer your questions, I have gotten my new replacement Explorer and have so little time that I haven't even opened it. The first one I received had some issues: wood cracks, mystery battery drain, and insufficient WiFi shielding that caused interference during playback. I can't tell you if those have been fixed yet.

So succinctly:
1. Busy fellow
2. Spending less time on HeadFi since update and since starting blog
3. Got my new Echobox Explorer but haven't listened
4. Have 3 DAPs and a bunch of other things way ahead of it in queue, so it will probably be a while before I do anything with the Explorer

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #897 of 2,616
so are these actually SHIPPING yet??? I want a new toy to play with, but I am not too keen on paying, then waiting without an estimated firm ship date update. Massdrop is killing my patience as it is.

(lucky :lol:, I didn't even know of this device until I saw the review on headfonics)
You'll have to wait till retail. These are excellently priced for the sound quality and features.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #898 of 2,616
I see HiByMusic got a really nice update (Ver 3.0.0) today on the PlayStore. I wonder how closely the PlayStore and the "Pure Mode" (built into the ap200 firmware) versions are in terms of functionality and updated together?

EDIT: The change log for those interested...

3.0.0 build 5481

Changelog

1. HiByLink feature will be used to remote control hi-fi, hi-res lossless playback from supported devices;

2. First free app to support hi-res lossless USB digital output on Android 7.x;

3. Added dynamic play queues...

4. ... which can also be edited and saved as new playlists;

5. Improved compatibility with Android 6+ devices;

6. Fixed track ordering under albums, under multi-disc albums (DISCNUMBER support!), etc.

7. Expanded on-device output sampling rate to 44.1 and 48kHz, adapting to phones with different Android system sampling rates;

8. Added option to disable exclusive USB audio output and use Android system USB audio for convenience / interoperability;

9. Added USB volume lock function to ensure bitperfect output more easily;

10. Revised English and multilanguage translations;

11. Added illustrated quick-start guide for ease of use;

12. Added update function independent of Google Play;

13. Added custom language selection option independent of Android system language;

13. 14 months of bug writing and bug fixing...

"...bug writing..."

LOL. Well, at least they're honest about it! :dt880smile:

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #899 of 2,616
9999022.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back