New Grado Owner
Jul 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

philatticus

Head-Fier
Hey all:

Been reading this forum for a few weeks, and only decided to join once I purchased/made a commitment.  I was on a very restricted budget, so I went with the SR-60i over the MS-1i.  Got to listen to a pair of SR's before making the purchase, and it just made me realize that silly JVC earbuds were not going to cut it anymore.  Very much looking forward to my pair coming here (should be a few days), but until then I'll enjoy learning more and more.

BTW, great resource here, but searching is basically an artform (I've come to realize this in my pursuit of many little things I suppose).

Oh and other BTW, J&R electric has SR-60i's for $.99 less than everyone else, in case you wanted to shop around (like I did).

- Dylan

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 27
Great to hear, those Grados are great entry-level cans, hope you enjoy them!

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 27
Thank you!  I bet I will.  I listen to mostly rock/metal (with the occasional jazz fusion, classical, and film score), so it suits my preferences (and wallet) rather nicely.

I'm just scared of this slippery slope that I've come upon...lol

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 27
Welcome and sorry about your wallet! Two suggestions, one free and one cheap but both simple, for playing around with the sound to get the most out of them according to your taste: 1) Experiment with positioning on your ears. 2. Try a set of bowl (L-cush) pads. You might hate them; you might love them (I love them, they came stock on my pre-i SR80 and to me they're an essential part of what I love about them.)

Oh, and about protecting that wallet: don't get sucked in by the "entry-level" talk. SR60s are damn fine cans, period, and if they're you're cup of tea they could satisfy you for a long time- if you focus on music rather than accumulating equipment.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 27
Great to hear! The SR60i's are really great......a year later my love for them hasn't diminished at all.
L3000.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
Welcome and sorry about your wallet! Two suggestions, one free and one cheap but both simple, for playing around with the sound to get the most out of them according to your taste: 1) Experiment with positioning on your ears. 2. Try a set of bowl (L-cush) pads. You might hate them; you might love them (I love them, they came stock on my pre-i SR80 and to me they're an essential part of what I love about them.)

Oh, and about protecting that wallet: don't get sucked in by the "entry-level" talk. SR60s are damn fine cans, period, and if they're you're cup of tea they could satisfy you for a long time- if you focus on music rather than accumulating equipment.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I've been looking at L-cush's and 414s.  I'll have to wait til I get them to see how the comfies feel.  I'm usually pretty good with supra-aurals, it's just buds and in-ears that mess me up.  Pads will almost assuredly be a coming upgrade...

I've never been an accumulator, but some of this stuff just looks "cool," ya know?  Accck.

Quote:
Great to hear! The SR60i's are really great......a year later my love for them hasn't diminished at all.
L3000.gif

Good :).  I don't particularly plan on "upgrading," so I'm hoping I keep them for quite a while.  They seem to have a great following, and that helped me decision immensely!

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 27

I agree with supersleuth.  Don't let anybody tell you the SR60s are "entry level."  They're the most modestly priced full-size cans from Grado but I could give you a long list of headphones they'd tear up in a head-to-head.  When I want to be chained to my amp, I listen to the HD800.  When I'm on the move, but in polite surroundings, I bring along my PS1000.  But when I'm in knock-around, I reach for my SR60s, which I've modded to meet my needs.  Considering all you can get out of them, the SR60s are clearly the best value in the whole Grado line-up.  For my needs, the SR60s can be made to outperform headphones five times their price.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 27

Quote:

I agree with supersleuth.  Don't let anybody tell you the SR60s are "entry level."  They're the most modestly priced full-size cans from Grado but I could give you a long list of headphones they'd tear up in a head-to-head.  When I want to be chained to my amp, I listen to the HD800.  When I'm on the move, but in polite surroundings, I bring along my PS1000.  But when I'm in knock-around, I reach for my SR60s, which I've modded to meet my needs.  Considering all you can get out of them, the SR60s are clearly the best value in the whole Grado line-up.  For my needs, the SR60s can be made to outperform headphones five times their price.

Two questions (and you can PM me if that's better):

1.  Where in Florida are you?  I go to school in Naples.

2.  I presume that there are threads regarding the different mod setups and what each does.  What's the best one (if possible), and what did you do to have them meet your needs?

Thanks!

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 27
Instead of the usual greeting I'll change it up and say "Welcome to Grado, Sorry about the soundstage" 
triportsad.gif

The mods I'd consider first would be the L-Cush pads (bowls) when you feel like spending $20.  The bowls open up the soundstage and would give a nice change for your occasional jazz and classical.  Easy mod.  Easy to swap from bowls to comfies back and forth as your mood and music fits.

It is telling that many who start with the SR60 tend to keep it even as they get "better" Grados.  I've still got mine.  Never gonna give it up.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
Instead of the usual greeting I'll change it up and say "Welcome to Grado, Sorry about the soundstage" 
triportsad.gif

The mods I'd consider first would be the L-Cush pads (bowls) when you feel like spending $20.  The bowls open up the soundstage and would give a nice change for your occasional jazz and classical.  Easy mod.  Easy to swap from bowls to comfies back and forth as your mood and music fits.

It is telling that many who start with the SR60 tend to keep it even as they get "better" Grados.  I've still got mine.  Never gonna give it up.

LOL, thank you!  I get paid Friday, so maybe sooner than expected...

How are they with classical?  I listen to a decent amount of soundtracks, and while I don't expect them to be "great" or "perfect", I expect them to be better than these silly earbuds (apple/jvc). 

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 27
The SR60 can do classical music.  Better if you use the bowls, but even with the comfies they are fine with classical.  The SR60 give violins a nice lively edge which can liven up classical.  Higher end Grados (like my SR325is) can give violins a little too much edge.  The SR60 keeps that Grado trait more toned down and it actually works better for classical in that way.

Generally the Grados seem better with smaller classical works like chamber music and smaller orchestral works.  Larger classical works with large full symphonies can get a little constrained by the Grado soundstage and presentation, but at the same time you get to listen right up close to the orchestra.  That up close listening can be fun.

I listen to things like Beethoven symphonies on my SR60 with the iPod so it's all good.

No doubt that they'll be better for classical than your earbuds.  :)

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 27
I'm an almost 100% classical listener and I am still in the throes of a decade-long love affair with the SR80. Yes, bowls do it best, and worn somewhat forward on the ears to tame the treble and open up the soundstage a bit. As an avid amateur orchestral player I'm addicted to the almost on-the-podium perspective Grados give to orchestral recordings- I don't want a sound like I'm sitting in the back of a large hall. (And as already said by Ham Sandwich they're just dynamite with chamber music, by any standards.) And the low-end Grados give a natural, convincingly realistic timbre to instruments that I've otherwise only heard from much more expensive cans. (As you can see from my signature my humble, lovable SR80 even "defeated" a DT990, which I actually liked quite a bit- but couldn't justify keeping because I didn't like it quite as much as the Grado.)

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #14 of 27
I'm on my way to become a SR60 user too. I feel even more convinced after reading good comments about them on these thread. My only (if any) worry is about comfort, especially after long periods of listening.

Can't wait to get my pair now.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
I'm on my way to become a SR60 user too. I feel even more convinced after reading good comments about them on these thread. My only (if any) worry is about comfort, especially after long periods of listening.

Just don't be shy about bending that headband A LOT, and all will be well. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back