New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Mar 18, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #691 of 1,838
Just wondering, has anyone else got their aluminum chassis plates yet? I got mine today. They look very nice. I am looking  forward to installing them this evening. I have a question for the group. Jeremy included a resistor in the box... I haven't looked at the value. I recall reading somewhere that this should be attached to one of the plates and, I think to a ground on the board. It was to provide added shielding for RFI, I think. I can't seem to find the document where I read this. Does anyone else have it, or possibly know the suggested method and location for installing this resistor.

THX

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #693 of 1,838
Rec'd email from Jeremy G1217 explaining  the resistor was included with metal covers to ground them to chassis to prevent EMI if that is a problem He includes detailed info how to solder  If you do not rec it im me and I will forward instructions

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #694 of 1,838
Was playing around with the different settings tonight, and it seems that  on my headphones, when I switch from Low-R to Mid-R, the highs seem to be a little less prevalent, as well as things seem to lose a bit of attack and impact.  Have you guys noticed the same?  Currently running Mid-R, Mid Gain, High BW, W/O-A

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #695 of 1,838
  Was playing around with the different settings tonight, and it seems that  on my headphones, when I switch from Low-R to Mid-R, the highs seem to be a little less prevalent, as well as things seem to lose a bit of attack and impact.  Have you guys noticed the same?  Currently running Mid-R, Mid Gain, High BW, W/O-A

That's the way it should work. That's what happens to my HD 650's anyway.

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #697 of 1,838
Hey you all, I have a quick question regarding my Polaris. I've noticed that sometimes when I turn the volume knob I get some slight static in my left can. When my headphones (HE400i) are plugged into my sound system receiver and I quickly adjust the volume, I don't notice any static at all and the same goes for when they are plugged directly into my phone or PC. Is this anything to worry about? I'm pretty OCD about this kind of issue and it gets me all anxious. There is no static at all when the knob is not being moved.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #699 of 1,838
Thanks for the link! I was actually able to talk with Jeremy and he said it sounds like contamination in the grease of the volpot on that channel or a spec of dust made it into the grease. So I did the usual rotation of the pot, the sound is still there when I rotate it. Jeremy says that it shouldn't be harming anything but if I want too I can send in the amp so he can replace the volpot. Awesome guy!

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #701 of 1,838
  Hey you all, I have a quick question regarding my Polaris. I've noticed that sometimes when I turn the volume knob I get some slight static in my left can. When my headphones (HE400i) are plugged into my sound system receiver and I quickly adjust the volume, I don't notice any static at all and the same goes for when they are plugged directly into my phone or PC. Is this anything to worry about? I'm pretty OCD about this kind of issue and it gets me all anxious. There is no static at all when the knob is not being moved.

Same thing happens with mine, though it's very quiet.  From what I've read, it means the volume pot needs to be cleaned.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #702 of 1,838
Jeremy is a great guy. It's awesome that all he wants is to keep customers happy with the amps. Best customer service I've dealt with!

@RiddleyWalker Mine actually could get decently loud and quite obvious over the music and the more times I tried the do the rotation of the pot to clean it the more prevalent it became. I'm sending the amp in next week so Jeremy can test it out. I might have just ended up with a bad volpot. The sound was there at times when I first got the amp months ago but now it's coming on loud and often.

Also, rather than making a new post, I'll edit this one and post some pics. The Polaris is almost too beautiful.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #703 of 1,838
These filters really intrigue me. We need hd800 filters please, it's really hard to tame hd800 spikes on bad recordings while with good recordings it sounds stunning with Ember. Sorry, i happened to only have Ember. Just to share my impressions.

I personally don't need hd650 filters (other might need), as i find Ember is perfect for hd650. That deep bass doesn't make me thinking to grab my lcd 2.1.

Btw, i don't get any resistors with my aluminum chasis. Is this only for Polaris?

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #704 of 1,838
You'd change your mind about the HD650 filter if you heard it. Frans sent me a Kameleon with a box of filters for different headphones. Imo, the hd650 was the best since the Senns seem to react more 'readily'. Once the mid bass hump is trimmed and you hear proper sub-bass on them, it's difficult to listen without a filter.

Frans is making a one off amp for me which is mains driven, just for the HD650. He's called it a SeNNator.

Reaon being that I said on our forum that I no longer wanted to use the Senn without filter. It caused me to buy a TH900 because I missed sub-bass so much!!

Soon though, I'll be using the Senn with filter again, which I actually preferred.

He is/has designed a module to fit before the Garage amps that work in the same way with changeable filters. (They tiny)

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #705 of 1,838
Interesting. Hope the final product can be released soon.

I don't see any place it can be fit into Ember tho. Hope there's a way.

If you talk to Frans again, please mention about filters for hd800. Need some help on the treble there :)
I found my fav tube for hd800 now, i find 12au7 has the most gentle lower treble for 800 while still maintain its sparly and airyness. Very nice and spacey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back