New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Mar 3, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #661 of 1,838
I just fired up my new project Solstice. Coming from a Starlight it is a noticeable improvement in sq. Richer, fuller, warmer sound that is very smooth on top. Bass is solid. Details are still present even with more of a "tube" sound overall (to my ears) . Much nicer sound than my Starlight, and I like it more than my Polaris. I have not tried the Ember, but Jeremy says the Solstice sounds more like the sunrise 3. Very nice amp.

I am inexperienced with amps in general, have the Starlight, Polaris, o2 and Magni. So take my comments as such. YMMV, IMHO, etc:)

You have a nice selection of amps. What opamp and tube were you using in the Starlight when you compared with the Solstice?

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #663 of 1,838
You have a nice selection of amps. What opamp and tube were you using in the Starlight when you compared with the Solstice?

Stock opamp. I have been using a Russians 6n6p and a Bugle boy 6dj8 mostly. Now I have a amperex 12au7 in my Solstice and it sounds very nice.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #664 of 1,838
Stock opamp. I have been using a Russians 6n6p and a Bugle boy 6dj8 mostly. Now I have a amperex 12au7 in my Solstice and it sounds very nice.

Good choices. I found rolling opamps in the Starlight very revealing. At present I am enjoying the clarity, agility and sweetness of an opa 2227 combined with a 12AT7 Bugle Boy. I suspect, however, you will prefer a warmer sound from what you say.
I had thought the Solstice was meant to be more like the Ember, with less configuration options. Now it appears to be akin to the Sunrise 3 in sound.
I was considering buying the Solstice, as an alternative to the Ember, but will now wait until the dust settles.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #665 of 1,838
It does have a sound more similar to the Sunrise 3, at least that is what Jeremy was telling me. Works for me as I like the warmer sound.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #666 of 1,838
  It does have a sound more similar to the Sunrise 3, at least that is what Jeremy was telling me. Works for me as I like the warmer sound.

That's all that matters. Enjoy! 
L3000.gif

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #667 of 1,838
Can somebody compare the Project Polaris to the Schiit Magni 2 or Schiit Magni 2 Uber?
Seems like a good comparison.
I don't know if the Project Polaris is worth the extra $$$ now that the Magni 2 Uber out.
I use an HE-500 and a T50RP mod.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #668 of 1,838
  Can somebody compare the Project Polaris to the Schiit Magni 2 or Schiit Magni 2 Uber?
Seems like a good comparison.
I don't know if the Project Polaris is worth the extra $$$ now that the Magni 2 Uber out.
I use an HE-500 and a T50RP mod.

I have not heard the Magni 2, but if you want your amp to be more flexible and future proof pick the Polaris. 
Six gain settings, three output impedance settings, three bandwidth settings, pre-amp out, plus you can select aluminum or plastic chassis and the color of the led! 
biggrin.gif
  I don't know other amp packed with so many features.
And when you add to that the amazing sound and look, I think it is an obvious choice if the budget allows it.

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #671 of 1,838
When the filters become available, you will find the Polaris will way outshine other amps at a similar pricing level. I trialled a Senn hd650 filter and it takes the Senn bass to a completely new level.

Hi Ian,

I'm confused: what are these filters you are speaking of?

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #673 of 1,838
Hi

I too am lost about filters.

Can you shed some light for a novice like me, who has the polaris amp?

Curious to see what might be available/doable to the amp

Thanks
Peter

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #675 of 1,838
If we're talking about the Frans, then we must be talking about the Kameleon amp right? And the filters in questions are the ones that Frans makes (or sells/etc etc) for the various headphones available.

In other words: this amp. I'm guessing that the two small green boards are the filters.

What I'd like to know is how filters which are designed to fit the Kameleon, can fit into a Polaris amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back