New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jul 7, 2014 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,838

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm subscribed to Garage1217's newsletter where they just announced their latest amp, the solid-state Project Polaris! Also mentioned on their Web site!

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_013.htm

Polaris is almost here and shipping on the 21st of this month! We spent a little more time giving Polaris the TLC she deserved and added quite a few more features. Polaris is now ready for pre-order in our kits or built amplifier section! Pre-order by Monday the 7th at midnight and receive free shipping! (Domestic orders only - international orders will be billed for shipping at time of shipment)

Polaris Features...
  1. Enough power to drive most any headphone, even the HE-6 or K1000! (same output stage as our tried and true Project Ember
  2. Covers most all headphone impedance ranges from 16-600 ohm with ease
  3. 3 selectable gain settings combined with an input attenuation module that will let you fine tune the amplifier to meet most any headphone efficiency spec (will not blow your ears off at 5% volume with IEM's if setup properly)
  4. Amplifier is QUIET. Even being open frame, she is extremely resilient to interference vs. tube amplifiers. Noise floor / S/N, channel separation and other figures are stellar
  5. FET input stage gives very similar distortion as a tube amplifier which is the reason so many early solid state designs are now legendary. They sound better!
  6. Along with all of that... SOME MOAR! Polaris features 3 output resistance settings up to 120ohm, 3 bandwidth settings (will help tame some shrill headphones and also can make her sound more like an old school tube amplifier if desired)
  7. Line out so you may use Polaris as a pre-amplifier. Line out is disconnected when headphones are inserted, A feature many desire and have asked for (now implemented in Sunrise and Horizon III)
  8. Low profile design with all jumpers accessible from the top panel or sides. No need to remove the lid

How much is this beast going to cost? That is the best part! You can pick up a built Polaris for $249.99 or a Polaris kit for $214.99!

Looks like it'll be a great amp, can't wait to try it out eventually.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 1,838
Interesting. I'm soooo happy with my Project Ember (also from Garage1217) though!

Same thing here, the Ember is the most versatile good sounding amp/preamp in the market.... The dissatisfaction with it is inexistant....So far i am interested  to listen the reviewer about the Polaris ... Because of the price, perhaps  the sound will be attractive too? One thing is for sure, Garage 2117 has good  reputation.... I am curious of the pairing of the Ember or the Polaris with the hifiman he6 or with the he 400i and the he 560.... I  will wait for that....

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 1,838
Happy Project Sunrise II owner here. I was tempted to step up and make a Project Ember amp to drive my HE-6 headphones. But when I saw the Project Polaris, I bit. I took advantage of the pre-order and hope to have it made sometime shortly after it arrives.  

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 1,838
My HE-560 should be here on Wednesday or Thursday!

Ooohh, we gonna have 2 HE560s at the meet on the 26th? I've placed my order for the Polaris and should have it along with the Ember just in time for the meet.
L3000.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #14 of 1,838
Think the great advantage of the Polaris over the Ember will be its noise resistance. I liked the Sunrise 2, but it was very prone to picking up RF noise and I've seen people complaining about that as well with the Ember.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 1,838

Ooohh, we gonna have 2 HE560s at the meet on the 26th? I've placed my order for the Polaris and should have it along with the Ember just in time for the meet.
L3000.gif

How do you like the ember? Someone in the amp-recommendations thread for LCD-2's told me to get in contact with Garage1217 and ask if they could send me one as a demo, since I was in the market for a new amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back