New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Mar 11, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #676 of 1,838
  If we're talking about the Frans, then we must be talking about the Kameleon amp right? And the filters in questions are the ones that Frans makes (or sells/etc etc) for the various headphones available.

In other words: this amp. I'm guessing that the two small green boards are the filters.

What I'd like to know is how filters which are designed to fit the Kameleon, can fit into a Polaris amp.

I think the ultimate goal is to make a desktop filter which is placed in-line between the source & the amp.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #678 of 1,838
Maybe this can be done like an interconnect, only with the filter in a small box -with a removable top- in the middle.

I guess that sounds feasible but I'm not the one who would know for sure.

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #679 of 1,838
Can somebody compare the Project Polaris to the Schiit Magni 2 or Schiit Magni 2 Uber?
Seems like a good comparison.
I don't know if the Project Polaris is worth the extra $$$ now that the Magni 2 Uber out.
I use an HE-500 and a T50RP mod.

Haven't heard the Magni 2 / Uber either. Schiit makes good stuff and these look like a good value. FWIW, I preferred the Ember and Polaris over my Asgard 2 in a side by side comparison.

As to the flexibility mentioned above, both the Garage amps have adjustable output impedance that helps bring out the best in a wide variety of headphones. The low setting is great for IEMs - especially those with balanced armatures. The mid setting is best with my HE-560, and the high setting is important for high-end full-size cans with higher impedance from Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, etc. The new Magni amps have some impressive power ratings into low impedance loads, but at loads of 50 Ohms and above (i.e., harder to drive full-size phones) the and Polaris (& Ember) put out a good amount more power.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #680 of 1,838
Can somebody compare the Project Polaris to the Schiit Magni 2 or Schiit Magni 2 Uber?
Seems like a good comparison.
I don't know if the Project Polaris is worth the extra $$$ now that the Magni 2 Uber out.
I use an HE-500 and a T50RP mod.

Hi. Do you still have your cayin c5 that your profile suggests?
For me, for my ears, for what I look for, for my hd800s......the cayin serves me so much better than my polaris.

Now I have not used many dacs at all with it so my exoerience is limited and I am about to receive an odac and O2 to play with and mix n match but the c5 is quite ahead at this point. I actually think its exceptionsl value.

I think the choice of magni v Polaris could well depend on headphone and I also strongly recommend you should try to hear the Polaris first. You were quite picky, as I remember it (I could be wrong), when you first bought your he500s so see if you can demo your amp first.

Just my two bobs worth

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #681 of 1,838
my project polaris back on sale in Australia - see classifieds or pm me

cheers
peter

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #682 of 1,838
  Thanks Zorrofox.  I think i'm down to either the Ember or the Schiit Lyr (original not 2) for my HE-560's.  They're almost the same price (Ember ~$12 more).  The only comparisons I've found seem to indicate they are pretty much a wash or some people slightly preferring the Ember.

Why not the Lyr 2?

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #683 of 1,838
Maybe this can be done like an interconnect, only with the filter in a small box -with a removable top- in the middle.

Sorry. I missed the replies concerning the filters.

Frans designed a Kameleon amp which I tried and tested with different filters designed for different headphones.

Basically, it's not a flat amp unless you put a 'flat' filter in. Frans has measured headphone responses and made a corresponding filter that gives the opposite shape so that you end up with a pretty flat response. The one that worked the best for me was the HD650 filter. In fact it was stunning. Sub bass appeared and the mid hump had been reduced, making the headphone into something really special.

The tiny filter boards will be made to fit before the Garage amps (Frans designed those as well) so that this same effect can be heard via the Garage series.

It takes the hd650 to another level.

The filters aren't available yet and Frans has a few of my headphones so that he can play around until he gets filters for them. That means for the more commonly used headphones, there will be an armoury of filters in order to help sort out fr issues that many seem to have.

He has quite a few filters designed already and they all really do improve the headphone sound a lot. The reason is that they target specific frequencies that he's measured on his kit that he uses at home to test headphones.

Hopefully, Jeremy will get finished units going for the amps and then people can sample a much more civilised sound from a variety of headphones along with that lovely tube flavour of the amps themselves.

I really hope it goes ahead. I was really knocked out by the Senn HD650 filter in particular. In fact, it pushed me to get a Fostex th900 because I missed the sub bass so much when it went back to Frans.

Come over to DIY Audio Heaven and nag them!!! :wink:

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #684 of 1,838
Sorry. I missed the replies concerning the filters.

Frans designed a Kameleon amp which I tried and tested with different filters designed for different headphones.

Basically, it's not a flat amp unless you put a 'flat' filter in. Frans has measured headphone responses and made a corresponding filter that gives the opposite shape so that you end up with a pretty flat response. The one that worked the best for me was the HD650 filter. In fact it was stunning. Sub bass appeared and the mid hump had been reduced, making the headphone into something really special.

The tiny filter boards will be made to fit before the Garage amps (Frans designed those as well) so that this same effect can be heard via the Garage series.

It takes the hd650 to another level.

The filters aren't available yet and Frans has a few of my headphones so that he can play around until he gets filters for them. That means for the more commonly used headphones, there will be an armoury of filters in order to help sort out fr issues that many seem to have.

He has quite a few filters designed already and they all really do improve the headphone sound a lot. The reason is that they target specific frequencies that he's measured on his kit that he uses at home to test headphones.

Hopefully, Jeremy will get finished units going for the amps and then people can sample a much more civilised sound from a variety of headphones along with that lovely tube flavour of the amps themselves.

I really hope it goes ahead. I was really knocked out by the Senn HD650 filter in particular. In fact, it pushed me to get a Fostex th900 because I missed the sub bass so much when it went back to Frans.

Come over to DIY Audio Heaven and nag them!!!
wink.gif

I'll be fine even if they are just PCB boards with a BOM for me to tinker around with :D.

And in ideal circumstances, I would like a HD650 filter, and a HD25 filter ! Maybe even one for the Mad Dogs....

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #685 of 1,838
The HD650 filter is the best imo. Reason being that the Senn doesn't need a lot of alteration in order to get it both extended into sub bass and flatter. It's so good, that I stopped listening to it once the filter went back!!

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #686 of 1,838
That Hd650 filter sounds very interesting. Any idea when they will be available?

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #687 of 1,838
Is these filters will be  adaptable for the Ember and the hifiman he 400 headphones?

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #688 of 1,838
That Hd650 filter sounds very interesting. Any idea when they will be available?

Unfortunately, no date for the release of them yet. There is information on making them on the DIY Audio Heaven site. (Not the forum) the Senn in particular really improves a lot. It gives better sub bass, takes down the mid bass hump, so that with the bass properly lined up, the top becomes a little more obvious. It's kind of like an hd600 with real low bass.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #690 of 1,838
Unfortunately, no date for the release of them yet. There is information on making them on the DIY Audio Heaven site. (Not the forum) the Senn in particular really improves a lot. It gives better sub bass, takes down the mid bass hump, so that with the bass properly lined up, the top becomes a little more obvious. It's kind of like an hd600 with real low bass.

The passive filter schematics seem to be not available. I could make an active one, but I'm not interested on using yet another power outlet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back