New! Focal Spirit Pro?
Apr 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #92 of 117
These are to my ears exceptional headphones. They have that elusive sense of realism which may be related to two attributes: even frequency response and exceptionally fast transients. I have compared them with a number of phones both in their price range and more and far more expensive and their organic realism always comes out best.
They are I reasonably comfortable and look as though they can stand up to rough handling if necessary.
Accessories are good with two leads: the mandatory iPhone controlled one and a lengthy coiled lead which probably sounds better.
The phones sound great out of an iPhone but even better with an amp.
They improve with 100 hours break in.
They are, for the time being, my 'go to' phones.

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #93 of 117
Apr 7, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #94 of 117

I've only heard good things about the sound, which in itself is impressive, but you're the first person I've read stating that those cans weren't rather uncomfortable. As for being tough, two guys in the Focal Spirit Pro thread on Gearslutz have reported early cracks (see picture here).

Make that two because I find them comfortable. Those reporting cracks on gearslutz have large heads. That seems to be a factor.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #96 of 117

So they're only for small-headed small-eared people? *grumble*

Unfortunately that's the case in my experience. Of course, people have different tolerances for earpads pressing on their ears. If you have the money, I think it's worth it to buy it to try just because the sound quality is really nice for the money.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #97 of 117
I didn't say it was uncomfortable but that it wasn't particularly comfortable (compared with a number of other phones ).

My judgement on durability was superficial and based on little experience. Maybe I was taken in by the crackle finish which must be durable because it has no aesthetic merit in my opinion. The cracks you show are real evidence and obviously something to look out for. 

I still maintain that the sound of the Focal Pros  is outstanding . The only rival for me is the PSB with its amplifier on but maybe thats an unfair advantage !

My views on comfort should not detract from that and such judgements  even more subjective than those on  sound ! The finish is the way it is and certainly doesn't make the headphones attractive in my view although some might think they appear professionally rugged. 

I like the Spirit Classic which has a generally more luxurious look and is slightly more comfortable with more padding on the headband.  . However after the Pro it sounds a little too laid back for me. A good comparison would be between the HD650 (Classic)  and the HD600 (Pro). The HD 600 is still preferred in many professional situations for its somewhat more neutral and dynamic sound. It is fascinating how many production videos e.g. Alison Balsom ; Lang Lang; show HD600s still in use. The Pro would  fit into that world   but is certainly not as comfortable as the 600/650. It may or may not be as durable. 

These comparisons at a realistic price point are very interesting and I hope they keep coming. On the recommendation of another member I have ordered the Thinksound On1monitors which I look forward to comparing. (They appear to be a good deal from the US website depending on whether they are hit for duty.) 

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #100 of 117
The only con given by some is that they might get 'tiring'. I can't think why unless the source material is tiring! I have scrutinised the headband and can't see any sign of cracks but maybe you wouldn't until it happened. They don't look as strong as PSB that look like a bit of Robo Cop.
I think Focal are onto a winner here. Judging by their performance with the FS One I am sure they will put any weakness right.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #101 of 117
Just saw the review for these at InnerFidelity ...
...hmm...
... so now we have two different (??) schools of science (for cans at this price category): Barton vs. Olive? Or do they both aim for something "similar"?

EDIT: Looked at the Meas. curves .... NAD look a bit prettier ...
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NADVISOHP50.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalSpiritProfessional.pdf

I have both..
They are both nice sounding cans..
Go for the NAD if your primarily into smooth detailed mids with good bass.

Go for the Focal Spirit Pros if you want bigger soundstage and more balanced perspective.
This is a well balanced monitor type can.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #102 of 117
Isn't it funny how you can read a thread and so hard to find anyone that would point differences out?
:p

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #103 of 117
I traded some phones for FSP and really like them...they can clamp pretty strongly though. But I'm digging the fit for me + the portability, tonal balance, imaging and the overall sound.

I do find that if I listen to very "mids-forward phones" right before the "FSP", then I can hear a little scoop and peak more. If I just approach them "freshly", even straight out of my iPhone 4S or Macbook Air (2013)...then I'm pretty damn happy with the way this market is moving. :bigsmile_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back