New! Focal Spirit Pro?
Jan 9, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #77 of 117
I'll be doing a review on the Sony in the near future. in the three areas that you mentioned above I feel the Sony is a notch above in all of them. I still like the sound signature of the Focal for many types of music.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #78 of 117
^what are your top 3 closed headphones at that price?
Quote:
  Boxed and ready to go back... they're really good headphones and I'd keep them if my Alpha Dogs didn't arrive today they're just lacking the ability to express that extra warmth needed for casual/fun listening, is a really tough decision. They look good. Wearing them out and about today they did start to hurt my ears a bit, isolated alright but I had the volume set to 60 which is the same as I would have my iGrado's on when on road so that says a lot. Went to Superfi in London to try out the B&W P7 and the FSP was easily on par although I couldn't really test them critically to pick up on what might be there vs not there I wasn't surprised by what the P7 had to offer coming straight from the FSP and the guys there didn't even bother sell me on much seeing what I already had. Think this is what you get for sub £300.

Not sure if I'm going to get the FS Classic or a pair of V Modas, just a bit weary the FSC's are slightly larger and not really portable and I'm going to end up with a pair of VModas at some point so why not now kind of thing. Likely I'll get the Classic though. Ship from Germany.

Final word, they're good headphones, good for studio use but lack isolation enough for use when editing  or critically listening you'd have to be in a quiet room so it'd be a no go for busy mixing desks and home studios.... ok but not warm enough for casual listening midrange-ish music won't come off well.

if you like the p7 you should try the akg k545 for cheaper it sounds just as good. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #79 of 117
If you are asking me what my 3 favorite headphones around $350 are then :

Sony 7520, Mad Dog, Spirit Pro (SQ yes, fit not so much) and maybe would have to put NAD and PSB on the list for further listening.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #80 of 117
Had 10 minutes with these, first of all, they are much better than the regular Spirit One, build quality has improved and the sound is better. Very neutral to my ears, nothing stands out, very detailed with excellent extension.
Comfort was a problem for me, the clamp pressure was quite high for me, not very comfortable, and this is probably the deal breaker for me, so try them before purchase, they are good, no doubt...

If the Pro is better than the One, then I would love the Pro. I thought the Focal Spirit One is one of the better mid-range phones out there in the glut of headphones coming from the woodwork (B&O, KEF, PSB, Monster, Nakamichi (!). Sounds great from a MacBook Pro headphones port.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #81 of 117
  If you are asking me what my 3 favorite headphones around $350 are then :

Sony 7520, Mad Dog, Spirit Pro (SQ yes, fit not so much) and maybe would have to put NAD and PSB on the list for further listening.

yes I was asking you.

The sony is good but despite all of its amazing qualities i didn't gel with it that well. 

does the pro have less bass than the mad dog?

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #82 of 117
yes, everyone hears differently and has likes and dislikes.  There have been some tracks on the Sonys that sounded really pretty poor, but I know from experience on some other cans that it is the track not the cans.  That being said I like the Sonys because the get the mids closer in overall perception to my studio monitors.

Yes, the Spirit Pro does seem to have less bass than the MadDogs in my opinion.  And it has a more forward mid than the Mad Dogs.  Both are nice headphones it just depends on which signature you gravitate towards.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #83 of 117
So I've ordered these and Amazon shipped them out a couple of days ago. I should have them early next week sometime. I've read a lot of raving reviews from professional and I got very curious about these.

My current favorite closed-back is the 7520, and I'm hoping I'll enjoy these as much, if not more.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #84 of 117
Still havent had the spare cash to buy these yet but im planning on it. Its a tough choice between these and the 7520s though for producing music/mixing that's for sure. Look forward to further comparisons. Thus far it sounds like the 7520s have more bass, but this makes me think the spirit pros may be more neutral and better suited to professional use. I have other phones for bass. Ive also seen the 7520 bass described as loose by multiple people.

As long as the spirit pro bass is tight and detailed (and low), it'll be a winner. Although the are the possible comfort issues but only one way to find out if that is the case. Lots of people complained about m100 comfort but zero issues for me even with stock pads.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #86 of 117
Its a tough choice between these and the 7520s

Not a tough choice here really.  The 7520's were around £350+ here in the UK before being discontinued due to EU safety restrictions, and are currently a similar amount if imported from the US.  The Spirit Pros were £165 on Amazon UK a few days ago.  

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #87 of 117

Not a tough choice here really.  The 7520's were around £350+ here in the UK before being discontinued due to EU safety restrictions, and are currently a similar amount if imported from the US.  The Spirit Pros were £165 on Amazon UK a few days ago.  

thats odd, I see no listings on Amazon UK for the Pro.  And they are $350 on Amazon US.  If you really can find them on Amazon UK for that.................. it is a great deal.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #88 of 117
They were that price from around Friday to Sunday but have sold out unsuprisingly.  Will be interesting to see if they return to it once back. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-H5007-Spirit-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00EXO8Y3Y

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #89 of 117
Just saw the review for these at InnerFidelity ...
...hmm...
... so now we have two different (??) schools of science (for cans at this price category): Barton vs. Olive? Or do they both aim for something "similar"?

EDIT: Looked at the Meas. curves .... NAD look a bit prettier ...
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NADVISOHP50.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalSpiritProfessional.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back