New! Focal Spirit Pro?
Dec 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #61 of 117
  Thinking about the Classic instead now .lol.

Was hoping that studio phones would be well suited for a broad range of music due to the above theory also, ie: That by changing the EQ settings you can bring the best out of the otherwise flat and accurate sound.

While I do own a studio I did buy these to be used with my AK120 while out and about... kind of having doubts that was such a good idea.... my theory is that flat sounding studio headphones accurately represent the sound/mix put through them so as a freak de la EQ settings they would be the most fun to play with and get a good sound from as long as they are range capable which they should be.

Am I wrong in assuming this?

That is a good theory but practically it doesn't work like that because software eq adds distortion. If you eq with hardware its not as bad and actually can transform a headphone. But in all of the headphones I have had besides the lcd2, eq messed up things a lot(this is with various software programs I tried). If I were you I would definitely go the the headphone that you enjoy right off the bat. What is it that you don't like about the pro. I haven't heard it but am interested in it. I almost got it but need a not so flat bass. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #62 of 117
Ah, yeah... see I've got a mixing console at home as part of my setup, that's where I like to tune things in and out but on the move I'd be using my AK120 so the theory would fall apart from there.

Literally just bought them on Amazon, they'll be in tomorrow.... just got an email saying my Alpha Dogs will be shipping as well. Will have to decide it I'm going to open the Pro's and give them a whirl or just send them straight back... would normally give them a try but I feel bad as the company I bought them from is new and had them on offer at £219, usually £239 in the UK. Flat bass won't suit well either but if its a studio phone its expected and should be able to handle the frequency if presented with it.

If I can crack the box and put it all back unnoticed I'll do it. Might look around for the Classic in the meantime.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #63 of 117
Hi Guys,

the thread and the FSP are very interesting. Could someone please be so kind and compare it with the Ultrasone Signature One. I really loved the USO, but the highs maked me sick, after 30min of listining :)

Thx, Thilo

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #64 of 117
  Ah, yeah... see I've got a mixing console at home as part of my setup, that's where I like to tune things in and out but on the move I'd be using my AK120 so the theory would fall apart from there.

Literally just bought them on Amazon, they'll be in tomorrow.... just got an email saying my Alpha Dogs will be shipping as well. Will have to decide it I'm going to open the Pro's and give them a whirl or just send them straight back... would normally give them a try but I feel bad as the company I bought them from is new and had them on offer at £219, usually £239 in the UK. Flat bass won't suit well either but if its a studio phone its expected and should be able to handle the frequency if presented with it.

If I can crack the box and put it all back unnoticed I'll do it. Might look around for the Classic in the meantime.

I am sure you can do both. but with the alpha and the pro you will have too bass light cans. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #66 of 117
^please do
smile_phones.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #67 of 117
Just got them in.... first thing is they feel light, there's no heft to them at all and to me this kind of equates to a lack of quality in build might be personal... the 'stubble' on them is glittery as you can see on the photos and I'm weary it looks like glitter. I'm not that kind of guy if you know what I mean. .lol. Trying them on and yeah, thumbs up Focal, the momentums failed me and my considerably large hair as they didn't clamp down or extend outward enough to fit but these fit PERFECTLY the arms extend outward to being the ear pads in and most importantly they don't wanna mess with my 'fro... did think my ears wouldn't fit inside at first but they do, bit of a tight fit thinking about it as the top corners of my ears are pressed in, not sure how that will lend to fatigue later on. Am recording some vinyl at the moment so its Mos Def Black on Both Sides, kind of annoyed I can't use the mixing console yet will have to wait before I can use the EQ settings.... the box came wrapped and I really don't want to send them back if they're too bass light.... tried them through my pre-amp, bass is fine... of course the track was still playing in the background on low volume so I turned it off... bass is weak... all flat as you'd expect for studio headphones. They also so light (weight) that straight off its obvious that they don't/won't block out external noise, down a point for studio use if you want closed back headphones for isolation where most might otherwise use open back for better soundstage... these may as well be open backed for sonic leakage both in and out they don't isolate at all.... down a point also for them being used as portable headphones as the Iphone remote they come with suggests they might be used for.

Generally confused as to why Focal would include Iphone style cables with studio headphones and their Classic product, it doesn't suit either... its looking like these are going back for a pair of Classics so far as I'm hoping to use these on the go as well as at home which is what their design (and the cable) suggests they would be good for even though their website says that the Classic is not made to be portable and is for 'quiet nomads' hinting at their 'closed back but may as well be open' style. The French are weird, I have no idea what a quiet nomad is or why one would need an iphone cable.

Real test is down to whether they can HANDLE bass frequencies (I'm guessing no, the Mos Def tester was kind of shameful) but yeah, they seem to handle bass frequencies well, using my AK120 they handle it fine, not warm at all though being studio phones so there's a mid range trade off there, won't be drinking soup by the fire listening to these (as on the Focal website) there's no comforting tone to Yukimi's voice, everything is there but these aren't for casual listening they're glaringly critical, as they're supposed to be. Annoys me when people describe or box some music into one thing or another, hip hop is a percussion orientated music for the most part but more consistently its vocal so I'm going to be testing these out on some tracks there. General opinion is that there's no false advertising going on, these are studio headphones... won't isolate if you need it but they're studio headphones.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #68 of 117
Here is what I will call a clear misconception---> "Studio monitoring headphones are supposed to have flat bass...
confused.gif
That does not translate to speakers very well at all.  The sony mdr 7520 is what I call accurate in that regards because it translates to 8 inch monitor speakers very well in a mix and the bass doesn't overpower the mix. Studio monitor speakers are almost never as flat in bass (at least the 8 inch ones I have heard) as these flat bass hp's are. So why do people like to mix bass on flat hp's. They should be used to check the rest of the FR without interference of the bass<-----That is where I can understand a flat/weak bass for professional use. But not to mix the bass with. Ultimately its about knowing your gear so you can mix well on a lot of gear. But what most people call flat is FLAT OUT WEAK.... and is no where near accurate to what most consumers will be hearing or how the musician intended the consumer to hear it.  

You mix considering what the consumer will be listening to and how they will hear it. 
@Goldlion973 If you get the classic I wanna know how they compare and if it is worth the premium interms of clarity, quality etc. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #69 of 117
Was/am concerned with the range they're able to reproduce and handle and they handle themselves well. If presented with a rumbling bassline studio headphones should give you that same rumbling bassline with nothing added. Straight. Apologies if my saying they were flat when put through my pre-amp was an off comment was literally the first thing they've touched out of the box and I couldn't change the EQ setting but even then the bass was/is weak from that source. When presented with the Pro EQ setting on my AK120 they do as they're supposed to, mixing desk is the same... feel too cold for on road though, forget the iPhone street use factor. Am looking for headphones that respond to what they're presented with hence my choosing studio phones for general use and they do the job they're made for, wouldn't swap these for the Classics and so far I'm not amazed by them, no details I haven't heard before kind of thing... from what I've read the Classics are warmer but there's no significant upgrade in detail only what more of a mid range might give you in how the sound feels, they're also bigger so wouldn't suit my needs....  these pros are right on the border for studio/home/portable use in regards to size.

Review was out of the box btw main concern for most would be the lack of isolation offered, I couldn't edit a track at home with these on while someone is in the room next door playing EDM. Just not gonna happen.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #70 of 117
  Here is what I will call a clear misconception---> "Studio monitoring headphones are supposed to have flat bass...
confused.gif
That does not translate to speakers very well at all.  The sony mdr 7520 is what I call accurate in that regards because it translates to 8 inch monitor speakers very well in a mix and the bass doesn't overpower the mix. Studio monitor speakers are almost never as flat in bass (at least the 8 inch ones I have heard) as these flat bass hp's are. So why do people like to mix bass on flat hp's. They should be used to check the rest of the FR without interference of the bass<-----That is where I can understand a flat/weak bass for professional use. But not to mix the bass with. Ultimately its about knowing your gear so you can mix well on a lot of gear. But what most people call flat is FLAT OUT WEAK.... and is no where near accurate to what most consumers will be hearing or how the musician intended the consumer to hear it. 

You mix considering what the consumer will be listening to and how they will hear it. 
@Goldlion973 If you get the classic I wanna know how they compare and if it is worth the premium interms of clarity, quality etc.

Most "consumers" like music that sounds gawdawful....

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #71 of 117
Odd... was sitting with them on in my front room to see how much they would isolate while family were about, really not a fan of Sbtrkt's album of the same name and the FSP reminded me of why the whole album just feels empty and dull other than the few upbeat tracks he has on it, Wildfire etc. These Focal's bring that to light as they're cold had already decided to send them back on that basis as I can't seem to bring any warmth to them via EQ as I'd hoped.... went upstairs and the sound changed, it came to life all of a sudden actually thought it was the room or change in atmosphere but now using my mixer trying to bring some warmth into them again the right channel didn't want to work, had to remove the jack and plug it in again, going back and forth with my DJ headphones (AKG K171 MII) to compare Hot to Cold and the Focal's did it again, Jazzy Jeff's The Magnificent album really brings the vocals forward the Focal's went from being cold (empty and horrible on this album) to livening up before the 1st chorus on, 'Break it down'  and I can't reproduce it, did it again later on in the track. Breaking in... yeah.... but not with that right channel cutting out like that and with them on a limited return basis, too dramatic a change also, literally had to check to see if the recording was messed up. If I can run them in overnight and they get a bit warmer I suppose I'll keep them but I'm heading to Sevenoaks in London tomorrow to try the NAD headphones see how they compare.

Right now rocking Prince Paul - Itstruemental and they've come through the track 'Profit' has an extended bassline I've not heard before and it seriously kicks.... opinion is that they need warming up firstly, secondly they really favor certain albums/styles I mean, coming out of my mixer there's NO WAY I could listen to Mos Def like that for casual stuff or any other vocalist for that matter just needs a touch more midrange to bring it all together fine for female vocalists but the male vocals lack a presence and depth without that midrange and I can't seem to pull it off with my mixing console is as though the EQ's are all seperate and not cohesive enough to make it an enjoyable listen... Pro EQ on the AK120 gets by on some stuff but God knows what they've done to set that setting, male vocals still sound crap also.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #72 of 117
The Classic is only available in Europe... its not in the UK yet £50 extra.

Am writing with the understanding that the're studio headphones and I'm using them for both purposes, practically in a home studio and to enjoy music... obvious that the EQ's are supposed to be seperate, am trying to bring a decent sound from them and its not there as of yet.

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #74 of 117
Boxed and ready to go back... they're really good headphones and I'd keep them if my Alpha Dogs didn't arrive today they're just lacking the ability to express that extra warmth needed for casual/fun listening, is a really tough decision. They look good. Wearing them out and about today they did start to hurt my ears a bit, isolated alright but I had the volume set to 60 which is the same as I would have my iGrado's on when on road so that says a lot. Went to Superfi in London to try out the B&W P7 and the FSP was easily on par although I couldn't really test them critically to pick up on what might be there vs not there I wasn't surprised by what the P7 had to offer coming straight from the FSP and the guys there didn't even bother sell me on much seeing what I already had. Think this is what you get for sub £300.

Not sure if I'm going to get the FS Classic or a pair of V Modas, just a bit weary the FSC's are slightly larger and not really portable and I'm going to end up with a pair of VModas at some point so why not now kind of thing. Likely I'll get the Classic though. Ship from Germany.

Final word, they're good headphones, good for studio use but lack isolation enough for use when editing  or critically listening you'd have to be in a quiet room so it'd be a no go for busy mixing desks and home studios.... ok but not warm enough for casual listening midrange-ish music won't come off well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back