New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Mar 22, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #1,966 of 3,599
I posted some pictures of W3000 yesterday but I want something a bit more artistic. Does anyone have some high resolution pictures of W3000ANV (or maybe some other A-T woodie)? Wanna print a poster but I am a bit limited in what I can do at home (when I shoot close-ups, laquer is reflecting my whole room which isnt the most art-based environment). So far I came up with this (Nikon D40 + 55-200mm lens and then a bit of photoshop), its missing something but I cant name what (visual art is not my strong suite :frowning2: ):

Low aperture (blurry
background)
Higher aperture (a bit more
crispie picture)

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,967 of 3,599

Quote:
Originally Posted by filuS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

, its missing something but I cant name what (visual art is not my strong suite :frowning2: ):

A light box or reflectors.  I think it needs softer omni directional light.  The thing is so damn shiny it's hard to take pictures with it.  I don't think the composition is wrong, I think it's more lighting.

Maybe put a textured piece in front of it so you see an interesting effect, instead of the camera man.  

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,968 of 3,599
Proper lighting is obvious limitation and unfortunatelly I wont do much about it in my conditions. I would need to go to garden (during nice sunny day ofc) which would also solve the problem with the reflection of my room (reflecting blooming cherry tree would be so awesome). But my actual idea of perfect composition would smth like this:
 - darker setup, dark background (not exactly plain black, maybe realy dark red with nice vignette effect, possibly with some equipment glowing in the dark in blur instead of W1000X from my pictures (some sexy black tube amp would be perfect or maybe even HA5000ANV), sharp enough to determine what it is but still as blurry as it needs to be to let W3000ANV to get whole attention
 - more-less same angle on W3000ANV as I have, I like this actually (maybe jack could be in shot as well)
 - mild reflection, just to show how nicely laquered they are; W1000X (or any other AT woodie) on stand may actually appear in reflection, but really subtly
 - in left upper corner I would like to see written Japan with smaller Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV starting above first "a" from "Japan", exactly as you can see on cups, in same color as tube glow on amp in background with a bit of lightning brush effect, maybe a bit tilted

Oh god, I already see this picture hanging on my wall, soo sexxxy :)

Quote:

A light box or reflectors.  I think it needs softer omni directional light.  The thing is so damn shiny it's hard to take pictures with it.  I don't think the composition is wrong, I think it's more lighting.

Maybe put a textured piece in front of it so you see an interesting effect, instead of the camera man.  

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #1,969 of 3,599

Quote:
The ZDSE is one of my top recommendations, depending on what one wants from a tube amp. Really any of the Eddie Current amps are. Craig voices his amps to be very "un-tubey" in my opinion; the Zana Deux SE is very resolving and isn't mushy or wooly.

I find it pairs well with a variety of headphones, and it is especially synergistic with Audio-Technicas. It helps that Craig uses ATs to check for noise, so the amp is very very quiet. A must for any AT amp, imo.

I know, you are the one that got me into buying one. I am glad I did, even if I don't have it yet.
Craig has been quite helpful with answering my questions about tubes and tube amps and aved me quite a bit of money on wrong purchases.
He also helped a friend of mine out that has a Moth 2A3 and wants to build his own Cicada speakers by helping to source the drivers and sending him the "Moth" emblems and backplates for the speakers.
I can really recommend dealing with Craig, he's a nice person.

Quote:
I posted some pictures of W3000 yesterday but I want something a bit more artistic. Does anyone have some high resolution pictures of W3000ANV (or maybe some other A-T woodie)? Wanna print a poster but I am a bit limited in what I can do at home (when I shoot close-ups, laquer is reflecting my whole room which isnt the most art-based environment). So far I came up with this (Nikon D40 + 55-200mm lens and then a bit of photoshop), its missing something but I cant name what (visual art is not my strong suite :frowning2: ):

Low aperture (blurry
background)
Higher aperture (a bit more
crispie picture)

Maybe a faster prime lens would help?
I shot them outside but I see that is not really what you want.
I found a 90 degree angle between the camera and the source worked pretty well if that's any help.
So, how do they compare to the W1000X?  :)

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #1,970 of 3,599
I havent had much time to listen to them yet, planning on doing so tomorrow tho. To be honest, I am bit "scared" to put them into my current rig, I am scared that they wont sound as special as they are supposed to (especially compared to my current W1000X, which are already way out of the league of the rest of my audio equipment). But I am not going to have a chance to upgrade my current equipment for at least a year, so sooner or later I will have to try them with what I have now (I want to get Svetlana 2, Yamamoto HA-02 and some dac with usb async, Anedio D2 or maybe smth cheaper, dunno yet, I have a lot of time to think that through).
I dont want to invest into new lenses just to shoot one picture, most likely because camera is not mine, its my fathers. I find that 55-200 (18-55 wasnt good for this) to be sufficient for my needs, but I guess the camera is not the best to accomplish what I want. Its good old Nikon D40 but 6mpix pictures are not much to work with if I want to use them for 60x100 poster. However, I might shoot some picture outside, we actually have a really nice scenery around house.  Just imagine nice cans, azure blue sky with white clouds and blooming cherry tree in reflection, could be lovely.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,972 of 3,599

Quote:

Wow... I leave for awhile and now you got an ATH? Congrats man! I wish I could listen to mine a bit more but I broke one of my Zana's triode tubes.

Yes I did...it looked very intriguing and I sold off some gear that I literally hadn't used in 4-6 months and picked them up. Great closed headphones! Comfortable, isolate pretty well, look amazing and sound just as good.

Was it just the tube that went?

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #1,973 of 3,599
The descriptions just sound too good to pass up.  So even though I promised myself I would not buy any more headphones this year, I just ordered one of the last three ATH-W3000ANVs from Amazon.  I usually do not let a "limited quantity" sales pitch influence me, but it did this time.  BTW, they only have 2 left.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,974 of 3,599

Quote:
The descriptions just sound too good to pass up.  So even though I promised myself I would not buy any more headphones this year, I just ordered one of the last three ATH-W3000ANVs from Amazon.  I usually do not let a "limited quantity" sales pitch influence me, but it did this time.  BTW, they only have 2 left.

You will not regret it. If you like your HD800 these are to me the closed version of them compared to other closed headphones.

BTW, I said the same thing after I bought the WA3000ANV and I placed an order for the Stax SR-009 and SRM-727II last week.
eek.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,975 of 3,599

Quote:
You will not regret it. If you like your HD800 these are to me the closed version of them compared to other closed headphones.

BTW, I said the same thing after I bought the WA3000ANV and I placed an order for the Stax SR-009 and SRM-727II last week.
eek.gif

!!!!

I ordered the ANV following our PM conversation. It seemed way to good to pass up, and well, they are. Mine came yesterday.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,976 of 3,599

Quote:
!!!!

I ordered the ANV following our PM conversation. It seemed way to good to pass up, and well, they are. Mine came yesterday.
evil_smiley.gif

Yes, they are great. they are my facorite closed cans so far. My Edition 9 are gone and probably soon the D7000 and maybe the DX1000.

Yeap I am parially going to the 'dark side". That is why I ma selling some of my stuff to pay for the Strax rig. I figured I could have a great tube amplifier in my WA5-LE, a great SS amp in the Dark Star and now my fist step in a great electrostatic rig. I hope to ordere an A10 eventually.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,977 of 3,599

Quote:

Amazon still has 18 ATH-W3000ANVs left (although not through Beach Audio; this time it's through Firemall) for $999.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #1,978 of 3,599

Quote:
Amazon still has 18 ATH-W3000ANVs left (although not through Beach Audio; this time it's through Firemall) for $999.

It's still available through Beach Camera, if you click on the price on the side under the order button.  Though Firemall does have decent feedback through Amazon, I'm more familiar with Beach.

Hoping the headphones work well with my current set up, though I will only have a week with the ATH-W3000ANV to find out, before I'm out of the country for most of April. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #1,979 of 3,599
Wow, $999 is a great price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back