New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Mar 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,951 of 3,599

Quote:
You're still looking to buy my Yammy for 5000€? :p

beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,952 of 3,599

Quote:
Yep. I think the Zana we ordered would be Craig's best offer for AT users.
Also it seems reasonable priced probably because it is a headphone amp only.
It isn't all that much more expensive than the new Super 7 tubes included but that one can drive speakers, which I have no use for anyway.
I'm really looking forward to get my Zana, still 6 or 7 more weeks I guess for me.

The Zana can do speakers, you just need a power amp. 
wink_face.gif
 The wait is killing me, the closer it gets, the more I want it.

For now, the W3000ANV sounds great with the Asgard.

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,954 of 3,599
I just received my W3000s from Beach Audio today. They're absolutely gorgeous headphones. Compared to my HE-6s, the ATs have the kind of build quality I'd expect $1k+ headphones to have...they're just impeccably finished.

As for the sound, they're quite different than the other phones I have. They have an incredibly detailed and crisp treble response, but the midrange is more up-front and lush than I'm used to. It's really something to hear a headphone with this kind of midrange that doesn't sacrifice any treble resolution (I'm looking at you, HD598s). Also, from what I'd read about higher-end ATs in general, I was half-expecting the W3000s to have no bass to speak of. Fortunately, this simply isn't the case. They definitely have more bass than my DT880s, but it isn't as loose and boomy as my 990s. And they're incredibly easy to drive.

From what I've heard so far, I think I still prefer my HE-6s overall, but the ATs are a close second, and the more I listen, the more I like. I'm glad I jumped on these, especially at the $1000 price I paid.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,959 of 3,599
Mar 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,962 of 3,599

Quote:
^^

Agreed that they are very special cans. I'm actually rocking out with them more than I did with any Grado I've owned in the past.
L3000.gif

Wow... I leave for awhile and now you got an ATH? Congrats man! I wish I could listen to mine a bit more but I broke one of my Zana's triode tubes.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #1,963 of 3,599
Off topic but has anyone done some comparisons with the Zana vs other tube pres? How does it hold up?

Quote:

Wow... I leave for awhile and now you got an ATH? Congrats man! I wish I could listen to mine a bit more but I broke one of my Zana's triode tubes.

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,964 of 3,599
FWIW I feel the Zana Deux is a solid amp choice -- I've owned a few different tube amps in my day, many have come and gone, and yet I have a really hard time justifying letting mine go -- even for the Balancing Act.  I also plow through gear at an alarming rate.  Starting to question if I'm just a SS guy in the end!

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #1,965 of 3,599
The ZDSE is one of my top recommendations, depending on what one wants from a tube amp. Really any of the Eddie Current amps are. Craig voices his amps to be very "un-tubey" in my opinion; the Zana Deux SE is very resolving and isn't mushy or wooly.

I find it pairs well with a variety of headphones, and it is especially synergistic with Audio-Technicas. It helps that Craig uses ATs to check for noise, so the amp is very very quiet. A must for any AT amp, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back