New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #1,351 of 3,599
Yeah, but that post is still a bit misleading. There are a lot of cans that share either the same drivers or very similar drivers, but sound very different. To just say ad2000 sound like open w3000 because they share same/similar drivers is misleading when they actually "sound" very different. 

For example the fischer fa003 sounds like a closed hd600 imo. And yeas the drivers also look very similar to an hd600 driver, but they actually "sound" very similar to each other.

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #1,353 of 3,599
Saying the ad2000 sounds like open w3000 just because they have the same or similar driver, when they actually sound different, very different imo. So when it comes to the actually sound, they actually sound quiet different. So his original post of ad2000 sounding like open w3000 is a bit misleading when they don't tme. And yes I've also heard both. Did you completly read my last post? It was pretty self explanatory as to why I felt that way. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #1,354 of 3,599
Of course they sound different: they're in differently engineered enclosures. You'd be surprised what a difference that can make. Just listen to some Thunderpants vs. the stock T50RP. And that's without changing it to an open design.

As I see it there's nothing misleading about what Purrin is saying. It's obviously speculation on his part, not to be taken as gospel. I believe Purrin has heard both the AD2000 and W3000ANV as well, and based on his understanding of their sonic characteristics and general physics, he's making an educated guess. He's not trying to criticize either to my understanding. Nor is he trying to deceive or "mislead" anyone.

You may think he's mistaken, and that's fine. But to say he's being "misleading" implies he's being devious to some end.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #1,355 of 3,599
If you are going to quote me, please get it right. I didn't say "he" was misleading. And I didn't say anything  to imply he was being devious in any way. My comment was about the post being misleading because someone could take it to mean they sound alike (both headphone addict and wind did and wind even disagreed). So if you are going to quote, please do it acurately and don't accuse me of saying something or implying something I didn't say or imply.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,356 of 3,599
Feb 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #1,357 of 3,599
For someone arguing that I'm not reading his posts correctly, you don't seem to be taking Purrin's comments correctly yourself. Purrin isn't saying they sound similar. He's saying they WOULD sound similar, in his educated opinion, if the enclosures were swapped.

Edit: It's honestly fruitless to try and argue either way, because no one really knows what an open W3000ANV would sound like. It's just a guess on his part, and to call that misleading is IMO ridiculous.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #1,358 of 3,599
Look at the first quote, "that post  is misleading". Notice I said "that post" and not purin. There's nothing saying he's being devious or my saying he is trying to be misleading. And I'm courious as to why you are going out of your way to make a big deal out of it anyway. I find that very strange. He even came with another post explaining why he said what he said. So apparantly he himself thought his post needed a little explaining when his original post came off like they indeed do sound like each other. Which prompted a curious response from headphone addict.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,359 of 3,599

Quote:
For someone arguing that I'm not reading his posts correctly, you don't seem to be taking Purrin's comments correctly yourself. Purrin isn't saying they sound similar. He's saying they WOULD sound similar, in his educated opinion, if the enclosures were swapped.

Edit: It's honestly fruitless to try and argue either way, because no one really knows what an open W3000ANV would sound like. It's just a guess on his part, and to call that misleading is IMO ridiculous.

That's my point. I was not responding to his second post entirely, but his first post when he said they sounded like open w3000 and that was all he said. He came with a second post explaining what he really meant. So I still say that his post was misleading when someone could easily have  took it to mean they actually sounded alike which at least 3 headfiers took it to mean.

The thing that was misleading was to say they sound like open w3000 when even he came back to say he meant something different.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,360 of 3,599

Quote:
I agree with much of what you said. I would take the W3000ANV over the R10. The R10 is ok but not my cup of tea I suppose. I found it really bright and I question its "closed headphone" status.

Indeed, some of you may have even noticed that my R10 are for sale.  The R10 are a 100% closed headphone IMO, but I like the W3000ANV so much that I have been listening to them instead of the R10, and while I am not sure that I actually like the W3000ANV "better", exactly,  I am enjoying the AT more, and so I decided it was time for someone else to enjoy the R10 versus my having them sit here lonely.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #1,361 of 3,599
Wow that's a bold move and I certainly understand it. I thought the honeymoon phase would be over for me by now, but I just find these completely addictive. More so than my beloved he-6 that I absolutely adore.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #1,362 of 3,599

I can't find it in the FS forum, can you PM me the link please? Is it the bass light or bass heavy version?
Quote:
Indeed, some of you may have even noticed that my R10 are for sale.  The R10 are a 100% closed headphone IMO, but I like the W3000ANV so much that I have been listening to them instead of the R10, and while I am not sure that I actually like the W3000ANV "better", exactly,  I am enjoying the AT more, and so I decided it was time for someone else to enjoy the R10 versus my having them sit here lonely.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #1,364 of 3,599

Quote:
Look at the first quote, "that post  is misleading". Notice I said "that post" and not purin. There's nothing saying he's being devious or my saying he is trying to be misleading. And I'm courious as to why you are going out of your way to make a big deal out of it anyway. I find that very strange. He even came with another post explaining why he said what he said. So apparantly he himself thought his post needed a little explaining when his original post came off like they indeed do sound like each other. Which prompted a curious response from headphone addict.

I actually never accused you of calling anyone devious if you look at my post. I understand you found what he was saying misleading. My response, as I quoted above, was based on this understanding. The problem is, saying a post is misleading isn't far removed from saying someone themselves is misleading, because that person is responsible for authoring the post. It's semantics. What matters is the intention behind the post. That's why I said I felt it wasn't Purrin's intention to mislead anyone. That isn't to say you accused him of actually misleading someone, just that I felt his post was meant to be speculation. 

Since both of you have heard the two headphones in question, it really boils down to one opinion against another. In effect we're talking about a headphone that doesn't even exist, so I think a suitable response is to say you simply don't agree. "Misleading" has negative connotations.

And why am I making a big deal out of it? Well, firstly, I consider purrin a friend. Secondly I only dragged it out to explain myself, since you seem to think I misread your posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back