New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,321 of 3,599
I think they are. I was at another headfiers house a few days ago. As far as a amps goes, he have a liquid fire, dark star, and peak/volcano(peak not present). The headphones that were there were....he-6, T1,  heavily modded d7000, ed8(didn't directly compare them since they are not in the same class as the rest), and hd800. Brent thought the w3000 was the best of the night. I'm a huge he-6 fan, but I might have to agree. I still think overall, the he-6 was the best out of the dark star, but the w3000 out of the liquid fire did some things better than the he-6 did.

I had a slight preference for the he-6 because of the bass extension, neutrality and open soundstage. But the mids out of the w3000/liquid fire combo was just sublime along with very precise imaging and effortless treble. It was just a fantastic sounding combo that had excellent synergy. It's the most enjoyable closed headphone I've ever listened to. And if I was face with a choice between these and the r10, I would take these. Not that the r10 isn't excellent, they were by far the best closed headphone I've listened before these . And even better than most open headphones. And still better technically than the w3000, it's just the w3000 does a better job imo at making music sound good.

I've been on a quest for the last few years for the perfect closed headphone. My criteria was good isolation, high end sound that can compete with high end open headphones, easy to drive, and beautiful wooden cups. Until now, I've haven't come across such a headphone. There were some that were beautiful(d7000), some that sounded incredible(r10, but not an option for me), some that have great isolation, but none had all of the qualities I was looking for until now. Are they perfect? No, I wish they had more bass extension, maybe be a tad more neutral(but I guess they wouldn't be as romantic sounding either), and even though the isolation is decent, it's not great either. But given the small quibbles, they meet pretty much everything I've been looking for in a closed headphone for the last few years. And these are a pair that I never intend on selling.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #1,322 of 3,599
I have the Liquid Fire, but I want to know how my portable stuff would drive the W3000ANV, because I already have the LCD3 for use with my Liquid Fire and if I buy the W3000ANV, it will be mainly for portable use.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,323 of 3,599
They actually sound pretty good with my leckerton uha4 which is very good for the modest price but not on the same level as the ones you have. So I'm sure it will be much better on those. It drives them well off of the low gain setting and really makes them sing on the high gain setting.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,325 of 3,599
Googleli, thanks again!

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #1,326 of 3,599
I know they are different beasts, but if I like the female vocal presentation of my CK100, will I like the W3000ANV?

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #1,330 of 3,599
I agree about them not being used for portable use. Can it be done? Yes, but it's not ideal. For one, they are not built to be rugged. They don't fold, and are quiet large so they are not easy to carry around. I guess they are fine for trips or vacations, but they are no more portable than any fullsized can.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #1,331 of 3,599
Frankly I wouldn't mind wearing the LCD2/3 on the street but it is open back so that is not possible... And if I can bear wearing the LCD2, I think it is a waste not to use  the W3000ANV portably for showing off and for others' appreciation of its beauty and let it sit at home, and given that it is closed-back it should exactly serve that purpose. Stuff like K1000 or LCD2/3 should sit at home...    

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #1,332 of 3,599

Quote:

What type of music were you listening to? People tend to compliment on the mids of the W11R that I had. Not the most accurate mids, but it's captivating, especially with vocals.

I listened to all kinds of music with them, mostly jazz and female vocals.  I just thought they had some nasal/honky mids, and I noted a similar issue with the Sony CD3000.  I thought about re-cabling them but was advised to just sell them and move on.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #1,333 of 3,599
I would advise against AT woodies for portable use, googleli. Several reasons:

-They may leak sound and may not isolate as well as others. They are closed but the seal is not the best on them unless you can mod them.

-The cable is far too long and will trip you up unless you get it recabled, but then you are getting rid of the nice fabric cord and wooden plug, part of the charm.

-The wood and lacquer finish on these should NOT be exposed to sunlight much. It will fade and damage the lacquer. 

If you are looking for a portable set of high-end cans, I would recommend looking into the Ultrasone Signature Pro. They are extremely rugged and built solidly. Essentially they have the same sound quality as the Edition 8, though with a slightly more controlled upper register, and have a more rugged construction that allows them to be used portably much more readily IMO. They have a detachable cable and are actually quite nicely built, with high-grade leather and plastics. Basically it was designed to be an Edition-series headphone for those who want more durability. They isolate extremely well, too.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #1,335 of 3,599

Quote:
Anything you know about the ATH-PRO700MK2ANV MuppetFace? 
It kind of grabbed my attention being of the ANV lineup as well ...

EDIT:
Still terribly in doubt whether I should sell the HA5000ANV or P-1u.  

You should sell the P-1u and keep the HA5000ANV =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back