New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #1,308 of 3,599
So, the ES10.
I have to agree with MuppetFace, this one is about bass.
Now I like bass extension but I don't like overdone bass or bloated bass that bleeds into the midrange.
I don't think these go really deep, the bass is indeed a bit overdone and it's slightly bloated as well.
But it's not all that bad, I heard worse. Mids and highs are lagging a bit behind the bass though.
We have to keep in mind that these or portables and for a portable they may be ok.
I will need to compare to a few others I ordered though, The ES88, EW9 and the ESW9A I am trying to order from the UK. These are made of metal and not that expensive so they have an advantage for "real" portable use as I find a wooden ESW9/10JPN would get too easily scratched which is a shame. The seal is pretty good as well for me.
I tried them with the Luxman DA-200 phones out. I'm looking forward to try them with the HP-P1 when it gets out of customs, probably next week.
As for a comparison with the W3000 that's really easy, they don't copmare as I expected. The W3000 is far, far better in any area and the sound is completely different.
I didn't compare with the CKW1000ANV since I tried that one for less than 30 minutes only to find out for the second time that I just can't stand IEM's in my ears at all, so they're up for sale after having them for a day.

@uelover: The Yammy is certainly great with the W3000. (off topic: I found the Yammy did very well with the HD800 as well). Both of my solid state amps, the HA5000 and P1-u are a good combo as well but I do have a preference for the Yammy. That might be a personal tube-amp preference I seem to be developing though.
I can't tell you how it does with the Zana as Craig is still working on mine.

Question: does anyone have an opinion on what the upcoming DNA 2A3 would do with woodies? Speculation of course since it isn't out yet but I'd love to hear your thoughts anyway. I heard it sounds like an EC 2A3 but "jucier" as opposed to the drier sound of the EC. A more enjoyable sound as opposed to a more accurate sound. It's in a thread of a meet where a prototype  of the 2A3 was set up.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #1,309 of 3,599
Yup that is basically my impression of the ES10 as well. I actually prefer listening to the ESW9 over the ES10 though I will have to say that ES10 is technically superior over ESW9 just that I have an overall preference for the ESW9. Both are quite good portable cans actually.

The Yammy is certainly under my radar but I am looking for something cheap that can tide me through over at the moment. Seems like its all the big names that work wonders with the audio technicas =)

Can't comment on the DNA 2A3 other than it looks industrial XDD

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #1,310 of 3,599

Quote:
Yup that is basically my impression of the ES10 as well. I actually prefer listening to the ESW9 over the ES10 though I will have to say that ES10 is technically superior over ESW9 just that I have an overall preference for the ESW9. Both are quite good portable cans actually.

The Yammy is certainly under my radar but I am looking for something cheap that can tide me through over at the moment. Seems like its all the big names that work wonders with the audio technicas =)

Can't comment on the DNA 2A3 other than it looks industrial XDD

Will try the ESW9 as well, trying to get it at a good price from the UK, saving on import as well.

The Yammy is actually good value and I'd dare say "underpriced if you compare it to some of the more expensive amps I have. Also, do take a look at what the other Yamamoto products cost on his website. The HA-02 is by far the cheapest.

I wouldn't know about AT's only working well with expensive amps though, they do fine out of the phones out of my Luxman Dac as well. The Dac is also expensive, ok, but we're only talking about the amp part. It's just that I don't use the phones output much due to the amps I have. The DA-200's phones out is really good by the way, far better than any built-into-another-device headamp I've heard.

And the looks of the DNA, special indeed. I like things that look different.  :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #1,311 of 3,599

Quote:
Question: does anyone have an opinion on what the upcoming DNA 2A3 would do with woodies? Speculation of course since it isn't out yet but I'd love to hear your thoughts anyway. I heard it sounds like an EC 2A3 but "jucier" as opposed to the drier sound of the EC. A more enjoyable sound as opposed to a more accurate sound. It's in a thread of a meet where a prototype  of the 2A3 was set up.

The DNA Stratus 2A3 has an impedance switch from what I recall, so it might be a good option for ATs. Personally if I were thinking of buying it just for ATs though, I'd consider the DNA Sonett instead. The Eddie Current 2A3 similarly is something I'd mainly get for harder to drive headphones, and the ZDSE is what I'd stick with for everything else.

Also I'm curious about your impressions of the CKW1000ANV, aside from not liking the form factor. I have a pair coming my way.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #1,312 of 3,599
When the good value of Yamamoto was mentioned, I must say how good value my ORB is compared to Musical Fidelity M1's I had... Costed about 10% more, but destroys M1's in every aspect. I'm sort of interested in amping further, but I really don't feel the need. Sorry for this, carry on. = )

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #1,313 of 3,599

Quote:
The DNA Stratus 2A3 has an impedance switch from what I recall, so it might be a good option for ATs. Personally if I were thinking of buying it just for ATs though, I'd consider the DNA Sonett instead. The Eddie Current 2A3 similarly is something I'd mainly get for harder to drive headphones, and the ZDSE is what I'd stick with for everything else.

Also I'm curious about your impressions of the CKW1000ANV, aside from not liking the form factor. I have a pair coming my way.

You're probably right. I did consider the Sonett for quite a while but didn't get to buying it yet somehow.
The sound signature of 2A3 amps does make me curious though, the legendary Moth, the EC and now the DNA.
It would indeed be overkill for AT's and Denons.
The only harder to drive cans I still have are the HD800s and I don't think many more like that are going to be added.
I'm more into closed phones and I think most of them are going to be rather sensitive.

As for my impressions of the CKW1000ANV, I have none.
I used them for about half an hour and due to the comfort/fit issues I seem to have with IEM's I didn't get enough seal to get bass.
I put my fingers on them for a few minutes to have at least an impression of what they sound like and it was probably good but I have no other IEMs to compare to.
I only had the TF10 which I used for half an hour more than a year ago, same story.
I think they will be shipped off to Australia next week, there's someone seriously interested in them at the moment.
I wish I could tell you something more useful but I have really nothing sensible to say about IEMs.

Except that they come very nicely packaged with two hard-leather pouches and look great.  :)
Here are some photos I took yesterday for the buyer.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #1,314 of 3,599

Quote:
MuppetFace, as I see in your previous list the W11R is certainly one to pursue first (the sound comes first for me, I love all their looks anyway).
If I remember correctly the W11R is the one with the remarkable mids, right?
What would be a correct price range for the W11R nowadays?
There is a pair (still?) for sale here now but I am uncertain if I should buy it in that condition.

I only paid $500 for mine 2 years ago, but sold them off very soon after (didn't like the honky mids).

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #1,316 of 3,599

Quote:
I only paid $500 for mine 2 years ago, but sold them off very soon after (didn't like the honky mids).

What type of music were you listening to? People tend to compliment on the mids of the W11R that I had. Not the most accurate mids, but it's captivating, especially with vocals.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #1,317 of 3,599
I have Joe's W11R now, and I agree with him that it has some of the nicest mids of almost any other headphone I've heard. I'd rank its performance with vocals as among one of the best, along with the Qualia 010 and TakeT H2+.

There could be some production variation like with the W100, which is generally used to explain the discrepancy between W100s (some have compared two W100s side by side to find some are worse than others, like with the LCD-3 now...). I know that Joe's and my W11R is actually quite uncolored for an Audio-Technica. A friend of mine who is a respected poster here listened to the same W11R as well and thought the tonal balance was similar to the SR-007mk1.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #1,319 of 3,599
I'm probably going to part with my W3000s. As nice as they are with acoustic music especially, they aren't going to compete with my 009s.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,320 of 3,599
I am looking for the ultimate closed-back headphone for portable use and I am wondering whether the ANV3000 is the choice. In terms of price, I think the most expensive closed backs are the ANV3000, the T5p, the ED8 and the Thunderpants. I already have the T5p and Thunderpants (still on its way) so I am looking to either ANV3000 or ED8 now.

Has anyone tried driving the ANV3000 with portable amps/ DACs/DAPs, especially with the Fostex HP-P1, CLAS, SR71A, SR71B, Stepdance, and HM801? I have all of these items listed, but am not sure if any of them will be able to drive the ANV3000 to say 80% of its potential. Finally, are the cables hard-wired or user-replaceable? Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back