New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 8, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #1,383 of 3,599
Looks like Currawong is the only guy ditching the W3000ANV. Currawong, since you also have the LCD3, can you let me know how does the W3000ANV fit into the picture and why do you choose to sell it eventually?

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #1,384 of 3,599

Quote:
Ah, you finally decided! How do you like it? 

Yeah I like it that's why I bought it after long auditioning. It is a large amount of money so I gotta make sure that the decision is right. I have yet to open the box though. Will do it tomorrow =)

I have listened to the burnt in unit of the LCD3 and the W3000ANV through the Beyerdynamic A1 amp (it is not the best amp for both LCD3 and W3000ANV that is available out there in the world). I have to say that LCD3 sounds bigger and technically superior. But, I am willing to easily let go of the LCD3 from my head but not the W3000ANV. It is just so easy to listen to and so seductive, drawing me into the music. Plus, it is so comfortable. The LCD3's comfort level is already is step up from the LCD2 but the W3000ANV is just superb.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #1,385 of 3,599

Quote:
The AD2000 sounded harsher to me than the W3000.

X2 they may share similar drivers and out of each respective housings sound/measure different but the W3000 is significantly better to my ears. 

I'm still on the fence comparing my K1000s - w30000s and JH13s as to which I prefer. In the end I think these will go down as one of AT's top woodies if not the best one. It's been a while but I think I would prefer it to the leather heads. While I owned a pair it was a while ago. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #1,386 of 3,599
I have both the LCD-3 and W3000ANV, and I find both enjoyable for comparatively different reasons. Neither is what I'd call a "neutral" headphone nor is either overly analytic and consequently the best choice for detective-work listening. Both have their own unique sound. The LCD-3 is rich and thick, laid back, and could reasonably be classified as leaning ever-so-slighter into the darker headphone camp on many setups. It has a truly impressive bass response that is dinosauric in its weight and power. It's highs are smooth and don't have the same liveliness as the W3000ANV, but comparatively I'd say the highs are more refined on the LCD-3. These transition effortlessly into the midrange that is similarly refined, rich but clear and a bit boxed in to my ears. It doesn't have that same cocooning intimacy as the LCD-2 rev.1, but there's something still quite enveloping about the LCD-3, especially when coupled with those earpads that are ridiculously plush.

The W3000ANV has a gossamer-like presentation, a beautiful antique hue to its mids that gives the world a seductive and magical quality. It's a bit less refined around the edges, but the center is more exotic and rarified compared to the LCD-3, more delicate and emotionally involving. The level of detail is about on part with the LCD-3 to my ears, perhaps even less, though I find details are easier to pick out paradoxically with the W3000ANV because of how involving they are. The W3000ANV is not a portable headphone, nor should it be used as such imho. Just because a headphone is closed doesn't automatically make it suitable for portable use. Same with the D7000, R10, and upcoming TH900. Certain timbrel characteristics and coloration are achieved with closed wooden headphones, and there are those who enjoy them on their own merits or, practically speaking, want some isolation but don't need the copious amounts of isolation a truly portable headphone should have.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #1,387 of 3,599
Thanks dudes. If I insist to use it as a portable how would it fare against say the ED8 or the T5p in terms of isolation?

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,388 of 3,599
No where near. It has decent isolation for what it is. It's better than a d7000 but not as good as headphones actually meant for portable use. The isolation is good for around the house, but not for very noisy environments(well I guess that could be around the house too).

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,389 of 3,599
The Ed 8 is significantly better in terms of isolation.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #1,390 of 3,599
I haven't had a chance to listen to my W3000ANV's enough yet to determine if I like them better than my LCD-3's, but I will say that right before I was kicked out of my home due to a broken furnace (hey, at least now I can say the most expensive thing I spent money on in the past month aren't headphones), I did listen to a couple CD's and was very pleased with their sound.  I'm very much looking forward to getting back to them.
Quote:
Thanks dudes. If I insist to use it as a portable how would it fare against say the ED8 or the T5p in terms of isolation?

Not very well.  I own a pair of ED8's and the amount of sound they leak is trivial compared to the W3000ANV's.  Even at moderate levels, they do a pretty good job of blocking out sounds as well.  They're also quite a bit more portable (not as huge and the cord isn't as long) and I feel I wouldn't have to be quite as careful with them as I would with the W3000ANV's.  Comes with a small bag to tote them around in rather than a huge box.  To be quite blunt, it would be foolish to pick the W3000ANV's over the ED8 (and I imagine the T5p) for portable use.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #1,391 of 3,599

Quote:

X2 they may share similar drivers and out of each respective housings sound/measure different but the W3000 is significantly better to my ears. 

The W3000 cups help "diffuse" the peaky spots and add much necessary bass. I was playing around with the W3000 last night and went overboard with the mid-bass reduction mods - not a good thing. The W3000 bass response (at least most of it) is necessary to balance out the "unique" mids of the AT. This is why the AD2000 sounds harsher.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #1,392 of 3,599
The Edition 8 and Signature PRO isolate much better compared to the W3000ANV. Also they are less cumbersome to work with and have a more stable fit to the head. The wing system on the W3000ANV doesn't seem very well suited for portable use. Seems like they might slide a bit if you're on the move. Also the cable of the W3000ANV is too long and the fabric jacket makes it a bit awkward to use on the move. It might trip you up or tangle easily. Plus the plug is 1/4" and would require an adapter for many DAPs. The Edition 8 has a shorter cable and a 1/8" termination, and the Signature PRO has both a detachable 1/8" cable and 1/4" cable.

I haven't used the T5p, but I imagine it's also much better suited for portable use.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #1,394 of 3,599

Quote:

I'm still on the fence comparing my K1000s - w30000s and JH13s as to which I prefer. In the end I think these will go down as one of AT's top woodies if not the best one. It's been a while but I think I would prefer it to the leather heads. While I owned a pair it was a while ago. 

Very interesting.  I took a brief listen at CES, but wasn't able to use my own system, so it was pretty meaningless.  It was nice to see the "JPN" style wood back again, though I still love the subtle appearance of the W5000.  I'll have to take a listen at this weekend's Bay Area meet, wish you could be there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back