New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 3, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #4,816 of 5,077
I don’t think the DF can output unamped, un altered signal so it isn’t a pure DAC in that sense. That said if you can’t hear the difference, maybe sell the Modi and buy something else? Personally I prefer the Modi MB, entirely different sound sig

It's just your opinion :) Of course it can. Set DFR to max volume, and it will output a pure 2.1Vrms level signal, which is kind of home electronics standard value. If you will reduce the volume from max, you will digitally attenuate the signal. With volume set to max, there is no digital attenuation, you are getting the same as you'd get from any other DAC. It's not like DFR has any sort of a massive output buffer or anything, it's actually as clean as a sabre DAC can get... DFB on the other hand has some analog volume control circuitry (implemented through gain control), hence is not as 'pure' as a DFR, also the output level is no match to DFR.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #4,817 of 5,077
Has anyone tested the DFR as a pure DAC vs other DACs within its price range? (Things like the Modi 3, D30, D50 etc...)

I have both the modi 3 and the DFR but whenever I try and a/b the two devices with my CTH I find it nearly impossible because of where my electronics are set up. Would love to hear if anyone else has tried this and what they found!
I'd like to reiterate that the DFR can be used as a standalone DAC if you set the volume to 100%. The only other similarly priced DAC I can compare it to is the original FiiO X5, and the DFR sounds a little more lively to my ear... but it's so close that I wouldn't be surprised if it were just a placebo effect. On the other hand, the amp section on the DFR is way, way better than the X5, which was thin and bright (not that it really matters for your sake since the X5 Mk. 1 hasn't been made for years).

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #4,818 of 5,077
It's just your opinion :) Of course it can. Set DFR to max volume, and it will output a pure 2.1Vrms level signal, which is kind of home electronics standard value. If you will reduce the volume from max, you will digitally attenuate the signal. With volume set to max, there is no digital attenuation, you are getting the same as you'd get from any other DAC. It's not like DFR has any sort of a massive output buffer or anything, it's actually as clean as a sabre DAC can get... DFB on the other hand has some analog volume control circuitry (implemented through gain control), hence is not as 'pure' as a DFR, also the output level is no match to DFR.

And just how does one “adjust” to volume of the DF Red?

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #4,819 of 5,077
And just how does one “adjust” to volume of the DF Red?

As I said, it's done completely digitally, using the available headroom (sabre DAC itself is a 32-bit-DAC, inputs are only 24-bit). Which means, actually SNR is getting worse when you reduce the volume on DFR, because the gain and hence noise level itself is constant. But this is actually a non-issue, as the SNR stays good enough...

On the DFB, on the other hand, you are indeed adjusting the gain, so that reduction of volume would also reduce noise level...

As you can see, there are pros/cons for every approach, but DFR is definitivelly a better DAC...

Apr 10, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #4,820 of 5,077
Tested my DragonFly Red with my Moto G7 Power and iPad Air and so far both are rocking!

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #4,821 of 5,077
Tested my DragonFly Red with my Moto G7 Power and iPad Air and so far both are rocking!

Nice. I'm looking at the other G7 (not the G7 Power) for my next phone. Headphone jack and external memory card both are important to me.

What are you using to connect the DFR to your G7?

Do you use the DFR with Spotify or Napster\Rhapsody?

Do you get good clean sound with streaming or do you get stray pops and clicks or other anomalies?

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #4,822 of 5,077
Is anyone else using a black or red with on-board Android music player "Google Play Music"? I have my entire local music collection mirrored into Google Play for remote access. That said when I use the black I often get a brief digital distortion and scratching for a second or two at the beginning of a new track. There is clearly some incompatibility with the output sample rate as the LED teeter totters between green and blue.

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #4,823 of 5,077
Today I got my Dragonfly Black. I want to use it with UAPP (USB Mode) and my Huawei P20 Lite. Unfortunately I got strong digi-noises with the Dragonfly. I tried many different sound options with UAPP without any success. Later I realized, that I got the same Diginoises with other apps like Onkyo HD Player or Neutron.
The connection cable is a iFi Audio OTG Kabel Typ USB-C. I used different sources (Tidal and mp3, aac or FLAC from SD Card).

The Dragonfly works perfectly with my Asus Notebook or in the same configuration with the LG V20 from my friend. No issuses there.
Very frustrating....

Maybe the Dragonfly don't work with Huawei Smartphones??

Any suggestions or ideas or similar experiences??

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #4,824 of 5,077
Sorry for asking this dumb question. My current DAP is Astell & Kern Jr. Though I'm happy with its performance, just wondering if I can use Dragonfly Red with it.
If so, will it enhance the sound significantly.

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #4,826 of 5,077
Sorry for asking this dumb question. My current DAP is Astell & Kern Jr. Though I'm happy with its performance, just wondering if I can use Dragonfly Red with it.
If so, will it enhance the sound significantly.

Take look and read this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-dacport-hd-and-dragonfly-red.5977/

For what it is, DFR is a cool little device. But this review shows that it falls into the lower portion of all measured devices. Not so cool.

It works good and delivers good results with IEMs. Full size cans with xxx impedance is another story. Your DAP is probably better, with more features.

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #4,827 of 5,077
Well crap. My DFR just developed a problem with the jack cutting out causing some frequencies to sound really distant. I tested with another pair of IEMs-- so I know it's not my 'phones-- and the problem can be alleviated by jiggling and holding the plug inside the jack-- so I know it's not my phone-- but that's not a real solution.

The warranty info on their website is vaguely confusing (or, at any rate, it's written so that it's open to interpretation), but I'm not hopeful that my DFR is still covered.
Has anybody sent their DragonFly (either Red or Black) for out of warranty repairs? How was the experience? How much did it cost and was it a fixed cost or was it based on the problem?
I've sent an e-mail to their warranty/RMA center, but I want to gauge whether or not I want to go through with repairs or just replace it. I like this device a lot, but it's certainly not perfect. Either way, I'm bummed.

May 4, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,828 of 5,077
When most of my gear are pretty light and I mostly use the Dragonfly with IEMs, is it worth it to upgrade to the Reds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back