New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 22, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #4,846 of 5,077
Silly question.....My Samsung Tablet won't work with my Dragonfly Red so I was wondering what the minimum operating system you'd need on a Tablet to use the Red and preferably MQA. Thanks!

I've had the DFB working on Android 5.x.

I couldn't get it working on an old Galaxy Tab either and that was running 6.x so it isn't about software version but has more to do with the way Samsung has set up the audio output routing.

May 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #4,847 of 5,077
Hi,

I have the Dragonfly Red and I am very happy with the sound coming out of this thing.

Wasn’t so happy at the start and was leaving it the draw for a while till a few days ago where I made some changes to the settings in ITunes and my laptop and now I cannot stop listing to it. It’s like a drug and I am addicted.

System is a Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop- ITunes- Audioquest Dragontail-Jitterbug-Red-Yuin OK1

These are the setting I changed and now I know what all the hype is about. Hope it helps some people get great sound to enrich their lives.

This is for AAC 256. Don’t knock AAC256 as it can sound awesome. I have no urge to look for higher resolution as I am very happy with this considering file size and quality.

In ITunes set main system volume set to 100%. The one next to the play/pause/rewind.

Equalizer set to flat.

Go to edit-preferences-playback.

Uncheck crossfade songs, sound enhanced and sound check

ITunes play audio using direct sound, sample rate for audio 44.1kh bits per sample for audio is 24 bit. Close iTunes and open to apply changes.

Now laptop changes. Important. Make sure ITunes is open and playing music with the Dragonfly to see all the settings in the volume mixer.

Now on to the volume mixer

Click on the volume/speaker at the bottom right of your taskbar and click on the mixer and you will see 3 device applications (speakers, system sounds and ITunes as the screen shot shows below.

Set the speaker volume at around 60 and the ITunes at 25. I have found that if the ITunes volume here is set too high then there is too much gain sent to the Dragonfly and it can be too loud too early when the speaker volume is raised and give a hard, harsh sibilant sound when the main speaker volume is raised only a small amount. Play with these 2 settings. The system sound volume doesn’t do anything here so don’t worry about it Just remember that the ITunes level here will act like a preamp and the speakers volume like an amp. As you move the speaker volume the ITunes volume will also move so don't worry about that. Just use the 60-20 mentioned above as you're starting point and use the speaker volume as your main volume. Don't use the ITunes volume control here as your main volume control. Set and forget and use the speaker volume control only which is after all the Dragonfly Red volume control.

10296279_thumb.png

Still in the volume mixer.

Now double click on system sounds-playback and click on the Dragonfly speakers and click on properties click on advanced and set Dragonfly to 24 bit 44.1 uncheck allow applications to take control uncheck give exclusive mode. Click OK. Also make sure this is set as your default player here.

Then click on Speaker realtek hp-properties-advanced and set to 24bit 44.1 check allow applications to take control and check give exclusive mode.

Done.

10296280_thumb.png

These setting might work on other music apps other than ITunes?

And remember that if your system updates check the settings again as they might default to other settings. And if you update ITunes check the settings there also as they will definitely have changed to default.

Hope this helps music lovers out there as the Dragonfly Red is all that.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    354.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #4,848 of 5,077
I'm confused, I thought the manual recommends to max the speaker volume and adjust the volume from the app, not the other way, around... Was i wrong?

May 26, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #4,849 of 5,077
I'm confused, I thought the manual recommends to max the speaker volume and adjust the volume from the app, not the other way, around... Was i wrong?

Hi,

As mentioned above max it on the main ITunes page, ie the volume control next to the play/pause rewind button.

Then go to the bottom right of your task bar, click on the speaker and then click the mixer to bring up the pc volume controls and put the speaker volume to 60 and the ITunes volume control in the mixer to 25. The speaker volume control which is the Dragonfly is then the main volume control.

May 26, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #4,850 of 5,077
It used to before .. they fixed the issue in some firmware update on the DFB/DFR and now the USB2 camera adapter is fine and I prefer it as it is less bulky.

From the Audioquest DFB/DFR site. This equates with my own very recent experience.

—-
In some rare instances, the combination of an iOS device in conjunction with the standard CCK and DragonFly Black or Red causes a clicking in the background of the music.

Neither we nor Apple have been able to determine why that is, but in circumstances where this occurs we’ve found that using Apple’s Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Connection Kit resolves the problem. In addition, this connector offers improved audio performance over the smaller unit and gives the end user the ability to charge their iOS device while listening to music.
—-

May 27, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #4,851 of 5,077
Hi guys I will receive my combo [jitterbug+ dragonfly red + câmera kit iPhone 3.0) tomorrow , and I have an IEMs , a custom in ear .
It’s an IEMs with triple balanced armor , I spent 300$ in the combo and I really don’t know what to expect that this combo gonna provide me .
I don’t know if the in ear is affected by it the same way headphones are , beçuse I just see people commenting on their headphones results .
In a nutshell I’m a bit afraid if I did the correct thing , because I’m seeking for a brighter song with low bass , and I stand against mojo and DFR.
Every comment that I see the mojo wins , but I saw some comments saying that DFR is more brighter and thin .
I hope that I like , because the mojo is really expensive for me , I need to spent like 800$ to import the product since my country (Brazil ) have high fees and there are no one selling this product in internet here . So the DFR is all that I can afford , after listening to it , I ll return her to say if it’s worth for me .

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #4,852 of 5,077
Hi guys I will receive my combo [jitterbug+ dragonfly red + câmera kit iPhone 3.0) tomorrow , and I have an IEMs , a custom in ear .
It’s an IEMs with triple balanced armor , I spent 300$ in the combo and I really don’t know what to expect that this combo gonna provide me .
I don’t know if the in ear is affected by it the same way headphones are , beçuse I just see people commenting on their headphones results .
In a nutshell I’m a bit afraid if I did the correct thing , because I’m seeking for a brighter song with low bass , and I stand against mojo and DFR.
Every comment that I see the mojo wins , but I saw some comments saying that DFR is more brighter and thin .
I hope that I like , because the mojo is really expensive for me , I need to spent like 800$ to import the product since my country (Brazil ) have high fees and there are no one selling this product in internet here . So the DFR is all that I can afford , after listening to it , I ll return her to say if it’s worth for me .

Personally, I love the iPhone>CCK>Jitterbug>DFR chain with iems.

The Jitterbug makes a noticeable difference after a lot of listening.

I wouldn’t describe this combo as bright though. It’s not dark or warm but the Jitterbug/DFR working together make for a blacker background and truer sound. After that it’s probably up to your source and the iems to make the sonic difference.

May 29, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #4,854 of 5,077
I love this thing! Got the Black with Crutchfield's speakercompare rental kit and omg! So resolving and energetic. It make my S8 actually work while as a portable player (finally beating the S4 with viper.) I'm attacking e-bay to gift myself a red within the next week.

May 30, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #4,855 of 5,077
Hi. After an update to v1.07 of my Dragonfly Black v1.5 I can hear a lot of hum noise both from laptop and android. The volume is way to high for all my earphones. I even got an aliexpress usb filter but no help. Does anybody know how to revert back to v1.06?

May 30, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #4,856 of 5,077
Hi. After an update to v1.07 of my Dragonfly Black v1.5 I can hear a lot of hum noise both from laptop and android. The volume is way to high for all my earphones. I even got an aliexpress usb filter but no help. Does anybody know how to revert back to v1.06?

Hmmm,my dragonfly black had the same problem.Lots of hiss/noise and volume too high.On my phone i just touched the volume one dial up an it was already high.I used the fiio fa7 on them.But i ended up selling my dragonfly.I thougt they didnt match my iems :frowning2:

I bought the dragonfly in march,and updated straight away.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #4,857 of 5,077
Is it a known issue or something?
I need to be careful and not update mine then, I use it mainly with IEMs after all.

May 30, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #4,858 of 5,077
I don't know if it is an known issue but now my sony smartphone sounds much nicer with kz as10 earphones. It's better with klipsh but still annoying. I emailed audioquest and i'm waiting for reply. Do not update if you don't have to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back