New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 11, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #4,834 of 5,077
Where is the MQA light on the dragonfly?

Audioquest says that the light on the dragonfly will glow magenta to indicate an MQA feed. I do not believe that this color shows anything about MQA; rather, it seems to me that it indicates a 96 kHz bit rate.

Everything seems to work perfectly using TIDAL. And the device itself sounds fantastic.

However, if I stop TIDAL on OS X, and change the bit rate of the audio feed using OS X audio MIDI setup, and then go play a file from iTunes, the lights on the dragonfly change to whatever bit rate I selected using audio MIDI setup. My understanding of iTunes is that it can only send out audio at 44.1 kHz, and that it has nothing to do with MQA.

Therefore, I do not believe that the lights on the dragonfly reflect an MQA feed when they glow purple. If the data source is iTunes, there is no way the MQA should ever be indicated. There is no MQA data anywhere.

It seems to me that OS X is upsampling iTunes audio from 44.1 kHz to whatever bit rate I select using audio midi set up. And then the dragonfly just turns on the lights to echo the bit rate of whatever audio is being sent from the operating system.

I don't think there's light has anything to do with MQA. What am I getting wrong?

May 11, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #4,835 of 5,077

Audioquest says that the light on the dragonfly will glow magenta to indicate an MQA feed. I do not believe that this color shows anything about MQA; rather, it seems to me that it indicates a 96 kHz bit rate.

Everything seems to work perfectly using TIDAL. And the device itself sounds fantastic.

However, if I stop TIDAL on OS X, and change the bit rate of the audio feed using OS X audio MIDI setup, and then go play a file from iTunes, the lights on the dragonfly change to whatever bit rate I selected using audio MIDI setup. My understanding of iTunes is that it can only send out audio at 44.1 kHz, and that it has nothing to do with MQA.

Therefore, I do not believe that the lights on the dragonfly reflect an MQA feed when they glow purple. If the data source is iTunes, there is no way the MQA should ever be indicated. There is no MQA data anywhere.

It seems to me that OS X is upsampling iTunes audio from 44.1 kHz to whatever bit rate I select using audio midi set up. And then the dragonfly just turns on the lights to echo the bit rate of whatever audio is being sent from the operating system.

I don't think there's light has anything to do with MQA. What am I getting wrong?
iOS definitely sends the audio as the correct bit rate. I've done this with both dragonfly red and ifi XDSD. Tidal HiFi tracks are green, Master tracks get the pink/purple. The MQA does not always mean 24/96. So unfold to higher bit rates. I've played same tracks on Android with UAPP app that shows me the unfolded bit rate. Some older music unfolds to 192khz. Definitely no upsampling gong on in iOS to external DAC on Tidal. All the output of bit rate is done in the app which is why it can output above 24/48. Only reason I switched from Android over to iOS for my audio needs.

May 13, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #4,836 of 5,077
iOS definitely sends the audio as the correct bit rate. I've done this with both dragonfly red and ifi XDSD. Tidal HiFi tracks are green, Master tracks get the pink/purple. The MQA does not always mean 24/96. So unfold to higher bit rates. I've played same tracks on Android with UAPP app that shows me the unfolded bit rate. Some older music unfolds to 192khz. Definitely no upsampling gong on in iOS to external DAC on Tidal. All the output of bit rate is done in the app which is why it can output above 24/48. Only reason I switched from Android over to iOS for my audio needs.

I think dsiebenh was referring to MAC OSX not IOS.

May 13, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #4,837 of 5,077
The point is, if tidal is not running on the Mac, there is no way to get MQA information on to the dragonfly. Why does the dragonfly indicate that it has MQA data? ITunes sends the data without MQA at 44.1 kHz; the Mac upsamples it to 96 kHz, and the dragonfly shows dark purple light indicating MQA. If I use audio MIDI set up on the Mac to to change the mac's outbound sample rate, the dragonfly will simply reflect that speed, ie 44.1 kHz, etc.

If the Mac is not sending MQA data, then why is the dragonfly indicating that it is receiving MQA data?

May 13, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #4,838 of 5,077

Are u saying that if u are not running Tidal, your dragonfly still lighted up in Purple? At least on Windows, my unit changes from purple if not running MQA

May 13, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #4,839 of 5,077
The point is, if tidal is not running on the Mac, there is no way to get MQA information on to the dragonfly. Why does the dragonfly indicate that it has MQA data? ITunes sends the data without MQA at 44.1 kHz; the Mac upsamples it to 96 kHz, and the dragonfly shows dark purple light indicating MQA. If I use audio MIDI set up on the Mac to to change the mac's outbound sample rate, the dragonfly will simply reflect that speed, ie 44.1 kHz, etc.

If the Mac is not sending MQA data, then why is the dragonfly indicating that it is receiving MQA data?
It's not indicating MQA, it's indicating a 96khz freq as you mentioned earlier. The colors are close, but they are different. Your audio it seems to be getting upsampled to the max DAC freq

May 13, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #4,840 of 5,077
Apple's Camera Connection Kit
I wish there was a better option.
I've been going back and forth between apple and AQ Carbon usb-lightning cable in my cars. AQ sounds a lot better in 2 cars, and marginally better in the third.
I suspect a better lightning to female USB cable would have at least a small but audible impact.

May 14, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #4,841 of 5,077
May 15, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #4,842 of 5,077
The ipad pro/ios cant handle mqa? I tried tidal yesterday with dragonfly black and and dragonfly usb c cable to the ipad pro 2018 version with usb c.music with mqa dont work.it lags and stuff.music without mqa works fine.tried it on my samsung s9 pluss,and mqa works fine

May 17, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #4,843 of 5,077
Hi guys I wanna buy a dragonfly 1.0 Black to use in my IEMs, but I want to use in my Iphone 7 too, it is possible? I will buy the adaptor but I read somewhere that is impossible to connect the 1.0 version to Iphone due to the energy power that is required. Can anyone help me with this issue?
And one other question.. I was wondering if the version 1.0 and the 1.5 it is too different or almost the same to use in IEMs?

May 19, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #4,844 of 5,077
1.5 is the latest which is made specifically to be able to be used on mobile phones (Android and iPhone alike)
It's because it sap less power form the phone it ended up jot triggering the power draw limit the phone has and also, it preserve the phone's battery better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back