New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Mar 12, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #4,786 of 5,077
To the attention of Apple iPhone and IPad owners:
From Today if you update the TIDAL IOS app you can play now the TIDAL Masters tracks and albums reaching plenty of High - Res music!
It is a great step forward towards high quality music listening on the go, which was not typical at Apple...
Masters quality is shown with a capital letter M, provided you have a HIFI subscription and you have chosen Master quality clicking the quality sign (HIFI in blue color or Master in yellow color).
You should adjust the download quality as well in the Menu. If you already downloaded a Master album first remove it from your device, and after adjusting the download quality to Master you should download that album again to enjoy Master quality from your iPhone or iPad.
My question:
Anyone tried the new TIDAL app on IOS devices with an AQ DRF Red or Black connected with a camera adapter?
Does it work?
Does it make the second unfold of MQA file (rendering) showing a purple dragonfly?

Woohoo .. no more using 3rd party player for playing Master Quality songs on my iPhone... Tidal on the iOS now natively works with MQA files both online & offline ... the second unfolding is done on my Dragonfly Black as seen below in the pic ... so thrilled!

pic1.jpg

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #4,787 of 5,077
Woohoo .. no more using 3rd party player for playing Master Quality songs on my iPhone... Tidal on the iOS now natively works with MQA files both online & offline ... the second unfolding is done on my Dragonfly Black as seen below in the pic ... so thrilled!

Great thanks!
It is time to buy a camera adapter :)
Is it right that the USB 3 camera adapter is sounding better with an external DAC than the one on your picture (USB 2)?

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #4,788 of 5,077
Great thanks!
It is time to buy a camera adapter :)
Is it right that the USB 3 camera adapter is sounding better with an external DAC than the one on your picture (USB 2)?

It used to before .. they fixed the issue in some firmware update on the DFB/DFR and now the USB2 camera adapter is fine and I prefer it as it is less bulky.

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #4,789 of 5,077

I’m using a DF Red, on my iPhone 8 Plus, and have the Tidal Music HiFi/Masters subscription. I updated the Tidal app and the albums/tracks that are being streamed in Master quality are show with the “M” indicator. However, so far, DFR is not showing that it is receiving a Master stream... its indicator light showing green instead of blue. I chose Master quality in the app settings. Is anyone using an iPhone able to receive a Master stream?
* I’m Red/green color blind. Is the Dragonfly’s color coding supposed to be blue for MAQ or another color? On my computer, using the DFR and streaming Master quality music, the DFR’s lidicator light is blue.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #4,790 of 5,077
No, blue colour is not for MQA, see below:

DragonFly Red’s LED lights up in different colors to indicate status or sample rate:
  • Red: Standby
  • Green: 44.1 kHz
  • Blue: 48.0 kHz
  • Amber: 88.2 kHz
  • Magenta: 96.0 kHz
  • Purple: MQA
When an MQA file is played back with a player that supports the DragonFly MQA the LED will go to Purple. The problem of course is that this color is very close to Magenta. It is a little easier to tell on DragonFly BLACK, but on RED it is much harder to tell. We did not have a choice in the color, that was MQA decision.

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #4,792 of 5,077
No, blue colour is not for MQA, see below:

DragonFly Red’s LED lights up in different colors to indicate status or sample rate:
  • Red: Standby
  • Green: 44.1 kHz
  • Blue: 48.0 kHz
  • Amber: 88.2 kHz
  • Magenta: 96.0 kHz
  • Purple: MQA
When an MQA file is played back with a player that supports the DragonFly MQA the LED will go to Purple. The problem of course is that this color is very close to Magenta. It is a little easier to tell on DragonFly BLACK, but on RED it is much harder to tell. We did not have a choice in the color, that was MQA decision.

Ugh, I'm color blind so this should be fun.

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #4,793 of 5,077
Ugh, I'm color blind so this should be fun.
Me too.... tons of fun! lol Magenta vs purple vs blue... yeah right! lol

* Using my DFR on my Windows 7, 10 year old computer, streaming Tidal Music Masters, the DFR displays a blue color (verified by my daughter lol). Would this mean that the computer isn’t able to stream at higher audio quality? DFR through my iPhone is sounding awesome and Is displaying the purple color. (I think)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #4,794 of 5,077
Me too.... tons of fun! lol Magenta vs purple vs blue... yeah right! lol

* Using my DFR on my Windows 7, 10 year old computer, streaming Tidal Music Masters, the DFR displays a blue color (verified by my daughter lol). Would this mean that the computer isn’t able to stream at higher audio quality? DFR through my iPhone is sounding awesome and Is displaying the purple color. (I think)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #4,795 of 5,077
I have just created picture showing different colours of Dragonfly.
It is not that easy to show true colors with just iPhone, but it should give you the general overview/idea.
I think the best representation was the zoom in of the end of the right wing (pictures at the bottom).

To call it simple: amber is like orange, magneta is pink, purple is purple :)

The difference between magneta and pink is really hard to capture. Magneta is light and purple is dark.

Dragonfly colours.jpg

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #4,796 of 5,077
I have just created picture showing different colours of Dragonfly.
It is not that easy to show true colors with just iPhone, but it should give you the general overview/idea.
I think the best representation was the zoom in of the end of the right wing (pictures at the bottom).

Thanks Zuber! Definitely helps, especially for my Red/green color blindness!

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #4,797 of 5,077
Anyone having issues with the DFR on the 2018 iPad Pro using Tidal? When I use the red with my phone or iPad Air 2 via the older CCK then MQA works no problem. On the iPad Pro with the official USB C -> A dongle on MQA tracks it flashes rapidly purple/orange and cuts out. The dongle with DFR works fine otherwise. As it works on my phone and old iPad unlikely the Tidal app and it isn't streaming since it happens with downloaded mqa tracks too. Busted dongle? Problem with iPad Pro and DFR not playing well together?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #4,798 of 5,077
I just got my DragonFly Red the other day. And combined with the AudioQuest Jitterbug makes my desktop and iPhone (along with the Apple Camera cable) Tidal listening time a true pleasure through my AudioQuest NightOwl headphones.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #4,799 of 5,077
I just got my DragonFly Red the other day. And combined with the AudioQuest Jitterbug makes my desktop and iPhone (along with the Apple Camera cable) Tidal listening time a true pleasure through my AudioQuest NightOwl headphones.
Have the Red for a year now and mainly listened to MQA since it was purchased and I was pleased with sound reproduction quality. Last week I decided to listen songs in HIFI and what a shock! HIFI through RED sounds more realistic, alive, extended in high and lower frequencies, more engaging and rounded. MQA sound lower in volume at same volume setting, compressed, dry, not really engaging. I have gone back and forth HIFI - MQA many times with tons of recordings and still getting the same results. My set up is Microsoft Surface 3 tablet + RED 1.06 + Audioquest Victoria 3.5 to RCA connected straight to power amp. Volume control on Tidal is at MAX and volume output is controlled with power amp volume control. Has anyone experienced this ?

Mar 27, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #4,800 of 5,077
Anyone having issues with the DFR on the 2018 iPad Pro using Tidal? When I use the red with my phone or iPad Air 2 via the older CCK then MQA works no problem. On the iPad Pro with the official USB C -> A dongle on MQA tracks it flashes rapidly purple/orange and cuts out. The dongle with DFR works fine otherwise. As it works on my phone and old iPad unlikely the Tidal app and it isn't streaming since it happens with downloaded mqa tracks too. Busted dongle? Problem with iPad Pro and DFR not playing well together?

There is a thread on the Roon forums, it seems this is a known issue. Even though it is specific to Roon, it may be related to the issue you are having.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/fu...ble-through-usb-c-port-of-2018-ipad-pro/57949

Users who are viewing this thread

Back