New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Mar 29, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #4,802 of 5,077
Random question:

What would be a good pair of headphones to use with a Dragonfly Red and an iPhone XR with Tidal Hi-Fi? Something that the Red drives sufficiently?

Either closed back or even IEMs. price: < $500

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #4,803 of 5,077
Random question:

What would be a good pair of headphones to use with a Dragonfly Red and an iPhone XR with Tidal Hi-Fi? Something that the Red drives sufficiently?

Try looking for something with 32 or less Ohm of impedance and perhaps with a warm signature. ESS DACs are rather clinical, good detail retrieval, which i personally like. Are you looking for IEMs or headphones?
Take look here for a comprehensive IEM list: https://crinacle.com/ranking-list/ .

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #4,804 of 5,077
Try looking for something with 32 or less Ohm of impedance and perhaps with a warm signature. ESS DACs are rather clinical, good detail retrieval, which i personally like. Are you looking for IEMs or headphones?
Take look here for a comprehensive IEM list: https://crinacle.com/ranking-list/ .

Thanks!

I am looking for something mobile as a secondary setup for headphones. I am total ignorant on IEMs, and the list you linked would be my starting point.

Open to other options as well, likely closed backs below $500 or so

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #4,805 of 5,077
After reading a thread about how nowadays laptops come with very decent sound and you don’t need a product like this, I have to disagree. But how much you get out of the DFR depends a lot on what kind of headphones you’re trying to drive. For a lot of headphones the headphone jack on your phone or laptop might be enough. But often that’s not the case. My 2017 MBP cannot drive my HE560. When I plug the latter into the headphone jack, the left channel sounds sucked out, the bass is weak and loose, and the volume tops out too fast. Adding the DFR, the soundscape widens, deepens, and becomes more centered. Instrument tone improves. There’s more detail. And I’m able to drive the volume higher. Totally worth it.

Mar 30, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #4,806 of 5,077
Random question:

I am using the Dragonfly Red with my Meze 99 Classics, which cost you $309 and sounds very well with the DRF Red, and portable using it's carrying case.
DRF Red is very neutral, so the warm, bassy sound of the Meze is excellently complementing the Red.

UAPP szitakötő.jpg
If someone wants to enjoy a really great sounding mobile setup should buy a Vorzüge Vorzamp Pure II+, one of the best portable headphone amp available.
The setup on the picture is now decoding MQA (I am using the UAPP Android app offering MQA first unfold).
My XIAOMI M8 phone is connected to the AQ DRF Red with a Nonda adapter (with OTG function), and the DRF Red is connected to the amp with an excellent Inakustik Premium jack - jack cable.

Mar 31, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #4,807 of 5,077
I use the DragonFly Red to push my Audeze LCD-2CB's and Mobius headphones with complete ease. Blows my mind how well this all goes!

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #4,811 of 5,077
Random question:

I went with Beyer T5p's originally but carrying around headphones is rough on the headphones. I ultimately got tia fortes for travel.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #4,812 of 5,077
Has anyone tested the DFR as a pure DAC vs other DACs within its price range? (Things like the Modi 3, D30, D50 etc...)

I have both the modi 3 and the DFR but whenever I try and a/b the two devices with my CTH I find it nearly impossible because of where my electronics are set up. Would love to hear if anyone else has tried this and what they found!

Apr 2, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #4,813 of 5,077
Has anyone tested the DFR as a pure DAC vs other DACs within its price range? (Things like the Modi 3, D30, D50 etc...)

I have both the modi 3 and the DFR but whenever I try and a/b the two devices with my CTH I find it nearly impossible because of where my electronics are set up. Would love to hear if anyone else has tried this and what they found!
I don’t think the DF can output unamped, un altered signal so it isn’t a pure DAC in that sense. That said if you can’t hear the difference, maybe sell the Modi and buy something else? Personally I prefer the Modi MB, entirely different sound sig

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #4,814 of 5,077

It absolutely can be used as a dedicated DAC. It's in the manual that all you do is set the volume to 100 percent and then connect it to the ins on the amp of your choosing. I have the DFR into the Magni 3 at work and I really like this combo. DFR is bright and energetic and combos really well with darker headphones. At home I have the Burson Playmate and while it sounds better than the DFR - the DFR is very close. It can absolutely be used as a dedicated DAC. I think this into a tube amp would sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back