New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #4,666 of 5,077
So I can now confirm that the dragonfly red does indeed work, plug and play with the iPhone max.

Is that with the single CCK, or you need the dual one with power to provide extra juice?

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #4,667 of 5,077
I just use the single cck. Haven’t tried or heard the bigger one that allows you to charge at the same time. I don’t have an older iPhone to try it with. Strangely it does sound a little better to me with the new phone. That can’t be true I wouldn’t think, possibly a placebo effect as I really like my new phone. People say you can hear a difference in usb cables, power cables, etc. so maybe the way it moves the data to the dfr, that signal path is cleaner with the max. Or maybe it puts out a little more juice into the dfr. Who knows... I feel like it sounds different- wider and more holographic on the new phone. But again, maybe I’m dreaming it. I have checked that I have no eq on or anything of the such so it’s just sending straight signal... all sorts of schools of thought on that stuff. I’m not a big believer in cables and such, but I’m also open to any possibilities.

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #4,668 of 5,077
Hey guys,

Maybe this is buried in the 300 pages here somewhere so apologies if I missed it, but wondering about the DF red vs Ifi dsd nano black label and the fiio Q 1 mkii. Would like to drive V Moda Crossfade and Amiron Home via phone. I picked up the AK 70 mkii, but quickly returned it. Ilike using power amp, and the battery on that thing was awful, but it did sound great.

Thoughts? Looking to buy in January.

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #4,669 of 5,077
Hey guys,

Maybe this is buried in the 300 pages here somewhere so apologies if I missed it, but wondering about the DF red vs Ifi dsd nano black label and the fiio Q 1 mkii. Would like to drive V Moda Crossfade and Amiron Home via phone. I picked up the AK 70 mkii, but quickly returned it. Ilike using power amp, and the battery on that thing was awful, but it did sound great.

Thoughts? Looking to buy in January.

I had a pair of Beyer DT 880 250 ohm and the DFR could push them but it was very boring and uninspiring. I didn’t find DFR to be a good pairing with 250 ohm beyers. I think you need more of an amp than what the DFR has to get good performance from 250 ohm beyers like the Amiron.

I can’t speak to the rest of the equipment you mentioned but hope that helps.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #4,670 of 5,077
I have the DF Red & Fiio Q10 Mark II driving HD650 and HD700. New at this so don't know correct terminology and such. For the price, various settings, options, ease of use with an iPhone, and overall sound I prefer the Fiio and am probably going to sell my DF Red. Definitely go for balanced cables if you get the Fiio. They definitely get louder via balanced. I find the iPhone solution of the huge adapter, then the DF kind of obnoxious to deal with in comparison.

Dec 20, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #4,671 of 5,077
Thank you very much guys. I appreciate your thorough responses. My work bought us gifts, so I actually requested the IFi nano idsd black label, which is pretty sweet. I may grab the Fiio for portability, but we will see how it goes with the IFi.

Thanks again.

Dec 21, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #4,672 of 5,077
I find the iPhone solution of the huge adapter, then the DF kind of obnoxious to deal with in comparison.

I don’t have an external DAC for my iPhone XS MAX and if I did I would get this 10cm lightning to micro USB adapter - no need for intermediate apple camera kit cable.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/VsKUHSp

BTW what Iphone are you using ?
I’m interested in a comparison of XS with apple headphone adapter vs the FIIO or DF black.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #4,673 of 5,077
I had a pair of Beyer DT 880 250 ohm and the DFR could push them but it was very boring and uninspiring. I didn’t find DFR to be a good pairing with 250 ohm beyers. I think you need more of an amp than what the DFR has to get good performance from 250 ohm beyers like the Amiron.

I can’t speak to the rest of the equipment you mentioned but hope that helps.

I dunno, but I use my Beyer DT1770s with a DFR and an old iPod as a "round the house" portable, and the DFR drives them fine - actually not just fine, but bloody well in fact. The DT880s can be a bit boring and uninspiring anyway as that's what they're supposed to be - a neutral headphone, not to mention the DT880's drivers are not as sensitive as the Tesla drivers in current Beyer HPs.

Based on my experience I'd say that the DFR will probably do fine with the Amirons, as from what I understand they have pretty much the same driver as the DT1770 and the DT1990.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #4,674 of 5,077
I don’t have an external DAC for my iPhone XS MAX and if I did I would get this 10cm lightning to micro USB adapter - no need for intermediate apple camera kit cable.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/VsKUHSp

BTW what Iphone are you using ?
I’m interested in a comparison of XS with apple headphone adapter vs the FIIO or DF black.
Also XS Max here. That cable says specifically that it won't work with any MFI certified device, such as the Fiio Q 10 Mark II. Almost bought a couple before I read that in the description. I was in Taipei recently and spent hours checking dozens of shops and couldn't find a USB micro to Lightning cable anywhere. You definitely need the Apple adapter for any DF.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #4,675 of 5,077
Also XS Max here. That cable says specifically that it won't work with any MFI certified device, such as the Fiio Q 10 Mark II. Almost bought a couple before I read that in the description. I was in Taipei recently and spent hours checking dozens of shops and couldn't find a USB micro to Lightning cable anywhere. You definitely need the Apple adapter for any DF.

You are right. I didn’t realise it wouldn’t play happy with MFI devices.

I was positively surprised by the quality of sound from the XS MAX coming from an iPhone 6.
Other than being able to play high impedance headphones, does the FIIO in DAC/AMP mode offer clear sonic benefits over using the Apple headphone adapter ? Same for DFR.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #4,676 of 5,077
What specific ios source device are you using? I am having a similar problem with a Dragonfly Red through the usb-c port of a new ipad pro 2018. The light color remains at 44.1 khz even though the Qobuz app is sending 24/96. Even more interesting is that when I attach the same dac to the lightning port of my iphone Xs Max or ipad mini 4, the light color changes to reflect the correct output resolution - so it appears to be a usb-c issue.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Dec 26, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #4,677 of 5,077
Mobil MQA 1.JPG
This Christmas has a surprisingly nice gift for all the music lovers, and owners of AQ DRF devices! As you can see now I am able to use my DRF Red as a "renderer" on a Chinese mobile phone. USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) Android application version 5 is able to unfold the MQA files received from TIDAL Masters to core level, and my DRF Red is making the second unfold.
I am using a Nonda USB C to USB adapter, which provides an OTG function.
The sound quality is wonderful!!! Even better sounding than using the Windows desktop application on my Lenovo notebook.
Now AQ DRF Red is working as a renderer with my Xiaomi MI8 mobile phone, which does not have a high quality DAC, and I can enjoy excellent sound quality!
Theoretical scheme how a renderer is working together with the software / application unfolding:
MQA unfolding with renderer 2018.png

Dragonfly s will now have a new boom, since owners of mobile phones with average DAC-s can enjoy music on a much higher level with Dargonfly s.

Dec 26, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #4,678 of 5,077
What are other's experience with using this on the new iPad Pro? I have the 11" and just got the official Apple USB-C to USB adapter and plugged my Dragonfly Red into it and it's not working as expected with the Onkyo HiRes player. It keeps downsampling to 44.1khz. I once had it at 48khz, but that was one time and I can't get it to repeat it. The source material I'm trying it with is 192khz FLAC files.

I have been reliably using the DFR with my iPhone X and the CCK to get proper bit perfect playback with the Onkyo player. These are files purchased through the Onkyo store, full "HiRes" 192 or 96khz.
I’m experiencing the same phenomenon with Qoboz on a new iPad Pro 12.9” (USB-C). Playing 24/96 files fails to change the color of the fly (remains green = 44.1khz). However, playing the identical files with the same setup through both my iPhone XS Max and iPad Mini 4 (Lightning port on both) consistently results in the expected color change from green to magenta. On all three iOS devices, my Qobuz audio settings are set to output files at up to 24/192 resolution (the max for Qobuz). Thus, this phenomenon clearly appears to be a USB-C versus Lightning issue. I am using the official Apple USB-C to Digital AV adapter with the iPad Pro, and the official Apple CCK3 with the iPhone and iPad Mini. The phenomenon remains the same whether charging at the same time as listening or not.

I am uncertain whether the DFR is actually downsampling to 44.1khz, or if somehow the file resolution information is not being properly transmitted to the DFR through the iPad Pro’s USB-C port. When comparing the sound through the iPad Pro versus the iPhone XS Max, I don’t detect any noticeable differences despite the different colors illuminated on the DFR through the two devices.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #4,679 of 5,077
There is a known issue on the USB-C iPads. Any connected DAC shows as a connected headphone rather than a USB Device. (see roon forum for photos). This means playback is being limited. Also DSD and MQA fails. DSD plays, but with severe white noise in the background.

I found out the hard way after trying just about every app in the playstore, and finally tried roon, and when that didn't even work I gave up.

If the iPhone goes USB C next year it could have the same effect. Will apple ever fix it? Who Knows..........

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #4,680 of 5,077
There is a known issue on the USB-C iPads. Any connected DAC shows as a connected headphone rather than a USB Device. (see roon forum for photos). This means playback is being limited. Also DSD and MQA fails. DSD plays, but with severe white noise in the background.

I found out the hard way after trying just about every app in the playstore, and finally tried roon, and when that didn't even work I gave up.

If the iPhone goes USB C next year it could have the same effect. Will apple ever fix it? Who Knows..........
Thanks for the info. Please indulge one noobie question: how are you playing mqa files on the iphone or ipad? The Tidal iOS app does not support mqa playback. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back