New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 6, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #4,696 of 5,077
3.0 sounds better IMO and even Audioquest says so .

This is completely untrue. Both adapters now provide the exact same audio quality without any issues. Audioquest used to recommend only the USB3 3.0 Apple camera adaptor because there was a known issue between the USB2 2.0 camera adapter and the DFR. The issue was related to iOS compatibility and there were clicks and pops in the sound because of that. Since iOS 11.2 or 11.3 in 2017 the issues regarding the USB2 2.0 Apple camera adapter with DFR are over and both Apple adapters are completely okay for usage with the DFR. One is less bulkier, the other one provides recharging of iPhone or iPad while using the DFR, but soundwise, there are no audible differences whatsoever. Anybody arguing the contrary is just spreading pure snake oil. I’ve owned the DFR for a couple of years and have used it with both adapters with different iphones and ipads. I therefore speak of what I know about this whole issue. I have noticed the issue in the past with iOS 10 and early versions of iOS 11 with the 2.0 adapter and I can testify that the issue regarding the USB adapter were genuine and that the same issue is now a thing of the past. I now use both the 2.0 and the 3.0 Apple camera adapters without issues with my iphone X and ipad Pro 9,7. As a matter of fact I use the 2.0 quite more often with my HD600, HD6XX and HD58X Sennheiser headphones. So you may use the adapter you choose, but it’s rather a question of features and form factor, not a question of sound quality.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #4,697 of 5,077
Chill, man. People explain what they know. If you want to correct them, cool, but this isn't life altering stuff. No need to take such a strong tone. Pretty sure no one here is attempting to be deceptive.

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #4,698 of 5,077
This is completely untrue. Both adapters now provide the exact same audio quality without any issues. Audioquest used to recommend only the USB3 3.0 Apple camera adaptor because there was a known issue between the USB2 2.0 camera adapter and the DFR. The issue was related to iOS compatibility and there were clicks and pops in the sound because of that. Since iOS 11.2 or 11.3 in 2017 the issues regarding the USB2 2.0 Apple camera adapter with DFR are over and both Apple adapters are completely okay for usage with the DFR. One is less bulkier, the other one provides recharging of iPhone or iPad while using the DFR, but soundwise, there are no audible differences whatsoever. Anybody arguing the contrary is just spreading pure snake oil. I’ve owned the DFR for a couple of years and have used it with both adapters with different iphones and ipads. I therefore speak of what I know about this whole issue. I have noticed the issue in the past with iOS 10 and early versions of iOS 11 with the 2.0 adapter and I can testify that the issue regarding the USB adapter were genuine and that the same issue is now a thing of the past. I now use both the 2.0 and the 3.0 Apple camera adapters without issues with my iphone X and ipad Pro 9,7. As a matter of fact I use the 2.0 quite more often with my HD600, HD6XX and HD58X Sennheiser headphones. So you may use the adapter you choose, but it’s rather a question of features and form factor, not a question of sound quality.
Then as kAudioquest . , like I did , yourself. Or do a blind comparison like I did .

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #4,700 of 5,077
UAPP doesn't support Spotify unfortunately. Spotify wouldn't supply a licence I believe.

Well that's unfortunate. I can't believe there isn't some phone utility to get around that. Anyone want to go halves on a Tidal Family Membership? :)

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #4,701 of 5,077

Can also confirm this to be 100% true.

Was about to write a long answer on the whole cck2/3 issue (as I've done a couple of times in this thread), but the above sums it up perfectly.

I now use the CCK2 exclusively with my iPhoneX and a variety of headphones and IEMs (see sig), for hours at a time, daily, and nary a problem. The cck2 and 3 sound no different, so I prefer the smaller form factor of the 2.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #4,702 of 5,077
Can also confirm this to be 100% true.

Was about to write a long answer on the whole cck2/3 issue (as I've done a couple of times in this thread), but the above sums it up perfectly.

I now use the CCK2 exclusively with my iPhoneX and a variety of headphones and IEMs (see sig), for hours at a time, daily, and nary a problem. The cck2 and 3 sound no different, so I prefer the smaller form factor of the 2.
And yet they both have different firmware .

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #4,703 of 5,077
Jan 8, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #4,706 of 5,077
Hello,

Just a quick question: Does the latest firmware fix the Android volume issue? I'd really appreciate if someone with a Sony Xperia device could confirm whether the volume issue is fixed.

Best regards!

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #4,707 of 5,077
I have the Dragonfly Black and a Hifiman HE-400 headphones that are slightly difficult to drive when connected to my laptop. I am thinking of picking up the JDS Atom headphone amp to drive the headphones better. Is this a viable solution? I know the DFB has a headphone amp, so will this even work? Thanks!

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #4,708 of 5,077
Not to be a jerk, but I picked up the black and red recently, and sent them back after a week. I bought them hoping they would be better at portability than the IFI Idsd nano black label, but they were not even close in sound quality. For $200, I would go with the Ifi Nano for those looking at options. Just picked up the Sony Zx300s to test against the Ifi. So far, I like the IFI better, but I have not tested the Sony balanced yet, as I am waiting for the balanced cable.

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #4,709 of 5,077
Not to be a jerk, but I picked up the black and red recently, and sent them back after a week. I bought them hoping they would be better at portability than the IFI Idsd nano black label, but they were not even close in sound quality. For $200, I would go with the Ifi Nano for those looking at options. Just picked up the Sony Zx300s to test against the Ifi. So far, I like the IFI better, but I have not tested the Sony balanced yet, as I am waiting for the balanced cable.
Can you hang the ifi nano off your cell phone while you are running or working out at the gym? It’s portability that is its best feature .

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #4,710 of 5,077
I tried the Black twice, it's so "closed-in" and bland sounding, I never tried the Red but after not liking the Black, I feel like there's no point in spending the extra $100 for overpriced dongles. I feel like you're merely paying for specs and features, and not actual sound quality. I was shocked 3 times, when I bought the SMSL X4, FiiO K1, Behringer UCA202, and now the XtremPro X1, all sound better to me than the more expensive ones I paid for, or even heard about, even if their amps and specs aren't up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back