New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 27, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #4,681 of 5,077
Thanks for the info. Please indulge one noobie question: how are you playing mqa files on the iphone or ipad? The Tidal iOS app does not support mqa playback. Thanks again.

On my iPhone XS Max I'm using Roon for MQA playback and it works perfectly, as does DSD.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #4,683 of 5,077
Hello,

I received a Dragonfly Black v1.5 this Christmas because the dac in my Nexus 6P is garbage. I got UAPP and the Dragonfly Black sounds great with my iBasso IT01 when playing through it and after I change the volume way down in UAPP. However, when I try to listen to Spotify using it, the volume doesn't stick and becomes a staticky mess. Any way to keep my volume settings when playing Spotify? Typically, I can't even have UAPP running to hear Spotify through the USB.

Is this just a limitation due to Spotify not being natively supported by UAPP and USB audio? Is it even possible? As much as I like the sound within UAPP, I might have to return and try something else because Spotify is how I listen to everything.

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #4,684 of 5,077
Hello,

I received a Dragonfly Black v1.5 this Christmas because the dac in my Nexus 6P is garbage. I got UAPP and the Dragonfly Black sounds great with my iBasso IT01 when playing through it and after I change the volume way down in UAPP. However, when I try to listen to Spotify using it, the volume doesn't stick and becomes a staticky mess. Any way to keep my volume settings when playing Spotify? Typically, I can't even have UAPP running to hear Spotify through the USB.

Is this just a limitation due to Spotify not being natively supported by UAPP and USB audio? Is it even possible? As much as I like the sound within UAPP, I might have to return and try something else because Spotify is how I listen to everything.

Thanks!
UAPP doesn't support Spotify unfortunately. Spotify wouldn't supply a licence I believe.

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #4,685 of 5,077
Does uapp sound better than Poweramp? I have an IFi nano Black and dragonfly black and they both work just fine with power amp and sound great with the hi res output. Curious if they sound even better with uapp.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #4,686 of 5,077
New guy here who just picked up an AQ DragonFly Red.

Has anyone tried an AQ Carbon Lightning cable with a USB A female to USB A female coupler and an AQ DragonFly Red with an iPhone X? I already have the Carbon Lightning cable and am hoping I can use it rather than invest in the Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 camera adapter which looks sort of clunky/inconvenient. If this doesn't work, what's my best route?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #4,689 of 5,077
MFI certification, a proprietary chip has to be inside for it to work.
About the 2.0 vs 3.0 adapters, I also initialy read that the 3.0 one is better, but since then I’ve also read that whatever was the issue is now gone... I’m using the 2.0 without issues.
- edit: let me correct that: I’ve tried it quickly a few times with no issue. I’m using my Mojo/Poly most of the time.-

However I’d be curious to know if there is a difference in sound quality, especially considering some dacs like the IFI Black Label and xDSD have a dedicated slot for the 2.0 adapter and don’t allow the use of the 3.0 one.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #4,692 of 5,077
So the 3.0 is the best route to go with an iPhone? Is it worth it to even use the DragonFly with an iPhone? I've been eyeballing some iBasso IT01S IEMs to use with this setup.

Thanks again for the input.
Yes 3.0 , while bulkier ,sounds better IMO . I don’t like the extra size but one advantage is you can also
charge your phone with the 3.0 .

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #4,695 of 5,077
Hey guys,

Got the black last week, and ordered the red to compare. However, anyone tried any integrated cable DAC like the V Moda one or the Audeze Cipher, but for android (those seem to be apple only)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back