New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 8, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #4,711 of 5,077
That was my opinion as well. The black only sounded slightly better than my Note 9 straight from the jack. Check out the IFi. Paired with the Amiron home, it sounded amazing

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #4,713 of 5,077
Do these sound better than a fiio q5?

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #4,714 of 5,077
No, they don't.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,715 of 5,077
Wonder how it compares to the Fiio BTR3 (wired)

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #4,716 of 5,077
I just picked up the new Dragonfly Black after years of enjoying an older 1.2 Dragonfly, and I must say I am incredibly disappointed in the new one.

It is just *WAY* too loud. With the old one, I would typically keep volume between 10 and 40 percent, for low to medium levels, with most of the headphones I would use it with (Samsung Earbuds, HD 598, HD 380). But with the new one, I can't get past 6% volume with most of my headphones before it is too loud. With by earbuds, I am stuck at either 1 or 2% volume. I even plugged in my HD 800 from my desktop rig, and I couldn't get past 14% volume before it was earsplitting to me.

I am just so confused why Audioquest would make the volume range so unusable for the majority of headphones in the new model. I can't even imagine what the Red Version sounds like. It is not like most people are going to even be using headphones like the HD 800 with something built for portability. I am sadly going to have to return mine. Hoping I can find a used older version or maybe a competing product with a more workable volume range.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #4,717 of 5,077
It might be irrelevent yet since these do not contain a battery, how do they amp the sound while powered from the device such as a smartphone which is not capable of driving that high impedance headphones ? I mean, if a smartphone can not run a headphone due to high impedance, how come a device that is powered by that smartphone is able to do ?

I want to add another question, can I use conventor from USB-C to USB-A pops up from the box of Samsung S9/Note 9 ? By doing so, will these dacs be plug and play ?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #4,718 of 5,077
It might be irrelevent yet since these do not contain a battery, how do they amp the sound while powered from the device such as a smartphone which is not capable of driving that high impedance headphones ? I mean, if a smartphone can not run a headphone due to high impedance, how come a device that is powered by that smartphone is able to do ?

I want to add another question, can I use conventor from USB-C to USB-A pops up from the box of Samsung S9/Note 9 ? By doing so, will these dacs be plug and play ?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi, I can answer your second question. I have Note 9 and it works with USB-C to USB-A adapter. It's plug and play for amp and dac part of the device.

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #4,719 of 5,077

Thanks a lot in advance!
The Dragonflies are bus powered, so they're drawing on the phone's battery to run their amp. They're not using the phone's amplifier in any way.
Also, you might be surprised at the headphones a smartphone can drive. The S9 is capable of driving the Sennheiser HD 650 (300Ω) or the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 (250Ω) to pretty loud levels.

Jan 31, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #4,720 of 5,077
Hi all

I have a problem with my new Dragonfly RED on my Samsung Galaxy S8+.
On my Desktop Computer i notice an improvement of soundquality using the DFR. On the Galaxy S8 the soundquality is considerably worse than over the headphone jack. :cry:
I use a normal Samsung USB OTG adapter-dongle between DFR and the phone. As music player i use USB Audio Player Pro (Headphones: Audioquest Nighthawk :o2smile:).

Any idea why DFR is not working properly on my S8? Thanks a lot!
I wonder if this issue continues since i consider to buy dfr for my s9+. Have you found a solution ? Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #4,724 of 5,077
What about spotify ? Does DFR supports it fully on new Samsung devices like S8 just like Usb player?
Yes. A firmware update fixed the problems it used to have.
Only problem is if you have very sensitive head-/earphones, volume jumps can be very large. UAPP is much better this way, but doesn't support Spotify, unfortunately

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #4,725 of 5,077
How does the Dragonfly Red compare to the SMSL Idea (Sabaj DA2)? I have the Sabaj and Zorloo ZuperDAC-S (same Sabre DAC chip) but they draw too much power from my phone (Samsung S7) using UAPP. I use the FLC 8n hybrid IEMs and the Audio Technica MSR7 with this audio configuration. I find the Sabre DACs too bright with less impact on mids (voices) and bass. The Zorloo sounds good, but no support for DSD. Is the DF Red worth the 200 $ price tag? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back