New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 8, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #3,107 of 5,077
Wonder if that is a consistent thing then, that A1440 is ok but A1441 is not?

Hopefully others can chime in with their CCK version, and if working or not.

Either way, I would hope iOS 10.3.2 will resolve

I'm on 10.3.1 (iPhone 6S+) and my CCK2 A1440 also works fine (well, other than the occasional clicks and pops problem some of us experience, which is why I switched to the CCK3).

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #3,108 of 5,077
Hi guys,

I hope this will help some people who wants to use their DFR with a HD600 vs HD650 since it's hard to find a review regarding those combos.

Here's my report :

I've just went to a retail store and auditioned the HD600 and HD650 for half an hour each (straight from the new box).

I was using s7 edge + DFR + Dragontail + UAPP (bit perfect) + several 16 bit and 24 bit test tracks..

a. The DFR with a dragontail + HD600. This combo sounded superior in mids and highs vs HD650. Very clear in vocals and acoustic guitars, but the highs were a bit too bright for my liking in a bright lights bigger city (cee loo) song track. Even though its not as bright as my iem hifiman re272 (analytcal). People say that the HD600 has a bit rolled off in high freqs and I can confirm that they're right.. But it's not as analytical.. Don't be afraid to choose this combo because the highs will make you fatigue for listening in hours (I'm not a fan of bright high freqs either)..

The vocals sounded like the singer is standing in front of you which is the best thing, you could hear the singer breath, articulations and other small things from their vocals..

The DFR amp will drive the HD600 in good manners. I could listen at max to 80% hardware volume.. More than 80% they will destroy ears.. :)

b. The DFR with a dragontail +HD650. This combo sounded like a lay back headphones sound signature. I was wanted more highs from this combo but they were a bit (tad/tiny) better in base compared to the above combo. The mids and highs are definitely better on HD600. I don't really like how the vocals sounded in this combo. I could not clearly hear the breath of the singer if the volume was not put to high volumes.. And the singer seems standing far away.. The good thing was yes, you can hear any songs without any fatigue. I will say you can hear any songs for 24 hours.. :) This combo sounded a bit more like my DFR + my Arctis 7 but I would choose my arctis 7 for the separations, sound stage and more base.

And then.. I bought the HD600! :)

My conclusions : 

1. The DFR amp is really a neutral sounding AMP! You just need to choose whatever headphones or iems you prefer (with their own sound signatures)..

2. The DFR amp will drive HD 600 / HD 650 (300 ohms) normally.

3. Dang! For the price / performance ratio, the DFR is da best! :D

Test song tracks:

Diamonds and Rust (Joan Baez), Don't know why (Norah Jones), Hotel California, Packt like sardines (Radiohead), Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen), Boom boom pow (black eyed peas), Little saddie (cooked still), Bright lights bigger city (cee loo green), Jack of speed (steely dan), Brass monkey (Beastie boys).

I hope that helps,

Cheers!
ad9e92ce282ed9c50d8ce278326ff489.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #3,111 of 5,077
For those using a DFR with a windows laptop, i have a setup that I think provides the most transparency to my ATH-M50x headphones that rivals anything I've heard.

1. Laptop - Windows10 Lenovo Yoga Pro - just because it does not have a fan (or its so small as to be inaudible)
  2. Jriver Media Center - overkiil for just audio ... but inexpensive and full featured.
  3. Jriver settings: disable volume, set to exclusive mode and make sure to disable all DSP except Output Format - and here set the appropriate limits on sample frequency to limit to 88/96khz.
  4. Bitsum Process Lasso - inexpensive app to prioritize windows processes and used by many in the pro-audio space.  Set MediaCenter.exe to 'Real Time' to ensure 100% disk and WASAPI audio processing.
  5. A good USB2.0 cable from laptop ...this need not be expensive.
  6. Laptop ⇒ Musical Paradise MP-U1 - this inserts an ultra clean +5V and ground into the USB feed.  Large regulated battery lasts several hours: I've never run out of power.
  7. MP-U1 ⇒ Intona USB Isolator thru a short USB (from Belkin) -  this further filters the power lines and galvanically isolates and reclocks the data pins... doing a much better job than the Jitterbug.  Also the super clean +5V from the MP-U1 ensures the digital circuits of the Intona operate with minimal voltage noise.
  8. Intona ⇒ Dragonfly RED - close coupled DAC now being fed with noiseless +5V (under 6uV) and perfect data

Sure - there are other solutions - and perhaps less expensive.. but I like the step-by-step nature of this approach and I understand what each component in the chain is doing. Some pics:

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #3,112 of 5,077
Hi guys,

I hope this will help some people who wants to use their DFR with a HD600 vs HD650 since it's hard to find a review regarding those combos.

Here's my report :

I've just went to a retail store and auditioned the HD600 and HD650 for half an hour each (straight from the new box).

I was using s7 edge + DFR + Dragontail + UAPP (bit perfect) + several 16 bit and 24 bit test tracks..

a. The DFR with a dragontail + HD600. This combo sounded superior in mids and highs vs HD650. Very clear in vocals and acoustic guitars, but the highs were a bit too bright for my liking in a bright lights bigger city (cee loo) song track. Even though its not as bright as my iem hifiman re272 (analytcal). People say that the HD600 has a bit rolled off in high freqs and I can confirm that they're right.. But it's not as analytical.. Don't be afraid to choose this combo because the highs will make you fatigue for listening in hours (I'm not a fan of bright high freqs either)..

The vocals sounded like the singer is standing in front of you which is the best thing, you could hear the singer breath, articulations and other small things from their vocals..

The DFR amp will drive the HD600 in good manners. I could listen at max to 80% hardware volume.. More than 80% they will destroy ears.. :)

b. The DFR with a dragontail +HD650. This combo sounded like a lay back headphones sound signature. I was wanted more highs from this combo but they were a bit (tad/tiny) better in base compared to the above combo. The mids and highs are definitely better on HD600. I don't really like how the vocals sounded in this combo. I could not clearly hear the breath of the singer if the volume was not put to high volumes.. And the singer seems standing far away.. The good thing was yes, you can hear any songs without any fatigue. I will say you can hear any songs for 24 hours.. :) This combo sounded a bit more like my DFR + my Arctis 7 but I would choose my arctis 7 for the separations, sound stage and more base.

And then.. I bought the HD600! :)

My conclusions : 

1. The DFR amp is really a neutral sounding AMP! You just need to choose whatever headphones or iems you prefer (with their own sound signatures)..

2. The DFR amp will drive HD 600 / HD 650 (300 ohms) normally.

3. Dang! For the price / performance ratio, the DFR is da best! :D

Test song tracks:

Diamonds and Rust (Joan Baez), Don't know why (Norah Jones), Hotel California, Packt like sardines (Radiohead), Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen), Boom boom pow (black eyed peas), Little saddie (cooked still), Bright lights bigger city (cee loo green), Jack of speed (steely dan), Brass monkey (Beastie boys).

I hope that helps,

Cheers!
ad9e92ce282ed9c50d8ce278326ff489.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I also use hd600. To max it out may I suggest you use a good tube amp. I actually just use a schiit vali and it made the combo much sweeter!

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #3,114 of 5,077
I've been using my DFR primarily with UAPP but started going through this thread recently to see if there had been progress on increasing volume levels for other audio players on Android, specifically Apple Music. Someone mentioned success with Fine Volume Control v2.0, so tried to play today, but now can't get any sound from Android/Apple Music/Amazon Music. I seem to remember before that there was some trick for settings in UAPP to allow it to play other software, but can't get anything working no matter where i put the settings. 
Does anyone have a go to way of getting sound output from Android? I'm using a LG G4 running 6.0. Thanks

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #3,115 of 5,077
Little confused here. Still very much a newbie so bare with me.
When I input the DFR into my PC via US , it barely powers the HP 650. When I input into my IPhone 6s they are powered fine with the Apple lightning camera kit.
Could it have anything to do with the stock little extention cable that comes with the 650's that is for inputting into the DFR. The 650 cable male peg is way too big for the DFR so I have to use the small Extension cable to input into the DFR.
I don't get it as I crank it 100% and it's not very loud at all.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3,116 of 5,077
When I input the DFR into my PC via US , it barely powers the HP 650. When I input into my IPhone 6s they are powered fine with the Apple lightning camera kit.
Could it have anything to do with the stock little extention cable that comes with the 650's that is for inputting into the DFR. The 650 cable male peg is way too big for the DFR so I have to use the small Extension cable to input into the DFR.

Adapter should not be the problem...   unless it is bad quality.

More likely you may need to adjust the audio hardware volume up some.  (In Control Panel..... Hardware and Sound... Sound.. Manage audio Devices.. Right click on the DFR,,  Select properties, and adjust the Level Tab to 50% or higher as needed...  Peak Volume is set there..   If it's already 100%, then it's the cable or another problem...

See if that helps

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #3,117 of 5,077
I've been using my DFR primarily with UAPP but started going through this thread recently to see if there had been progress on increasing volume levels for other audio players on Android, specifically Apple Music. Someone mentioned success with Fine Volume Control v2.0, so tried to play today, but now can't get any sound from Android/Apple Music/Amazon Music. I seem to remember before that there was some trick for settings in UAPP to allow it to play other software, but can't get anything working no matter where i put the settings. 
Does anyone have a go to way of getting sound output from Android? I'm using a LG G4 running 6.0. Thanks
spoke to Skyler over the weekend, in person. He told me they are really close on the fix for Android volume control. Not saying a week or two, but that it is a priority and they are close to figuring it out. It will be pushed out, and they won't be waiting on the MQA fix to do it. So once it's done we will get it. Until then the only options are 1, root install alsa_mixer and input volume command in terminal emulator, or 2, buy a small portable cheap amp like fiio A6 to give the extra volume, until the issue is resolved

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #3,118 of 5,077
Adapter should not be the problem...   unless it is bad quality.

More likely you may need to adjust the audio hardware volume up some.  (In Control Panel..... Hardware and Sound... Sound.. Manage audio Devices.. Right click on the DFR,,  Select properties, and adjust the Level Tab to 50% or higher as needed...  Peak Volume is set there..   If it's already 100%, then it's the cable or another problem...

See if that helps
M

Thanx. Should have said at the outset that it's already pegged at 100.
Not sure what's going on but from what I've read, it shouldn't be a problem driving the 650's with the DVR.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #3,119 of 5,077
are you turning up the player volume, or the volume of the Dfr Itself?

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #3,120 of 5,077

I am using Fine Volume Control, due to the issues caused by the Android S7E volume settings on the DFR with native music players,Tidal and Spotify: at the highest volume (100%) setting, my SE846, usually sound too high; stepping one volume level down, results in too low volume (~75%). Fine Volume Control, enables me to smoothly set the volume to 85%-90%, there the volume is perfect with the SE846.
I hope this is a temporary solution to a problem that the coming DFR FW upgrade will resolve.

BTW, with UAPP, all is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back