New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 24, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #1,201 of 5,077
Yeah, it really sounds like the DFR (and for that matter, likely the DFB as well) could benefit from AQ investing some more time into to the firmware implementation. Two posts up somebody mentioned that the nature of iOS CCK connection is that it is always on. I would have to partially disagree with the implication of this comment.

The "consumption" of power is a function of the device that is being powered off of the phone, meaning that even if the connection is an always-on connection, the hardware on the other end of the CCK connection should be able to enter low-power states that reduce battery drain while still maintaining an active connection. I am certain that there is a problem with the DFR implementation but I'd like to know if even one person actually sees their DFR in the "red" standby state when plugged in to an iOS device, just to rule out a hardware fault.

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #1,203 of 5,077
Does anyone know a fix?

Using one of these eliminates the hiss with my DN-2000J and DFR. There's a lot of debate on whether or not impedance adapters do what they're supposed to - increase the impedance of the headphones, not the source and vice versa - but it works for me. I use the 75 ohm one.

http://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-Male-to-3.5mm-Female-Impedance-Adapter

There's also a Dunu made version.

http://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-Inpedance-Plug

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,204 of 5,077
Yeah, it really sounds like the DFR (and for that matter, likely the DFB as well) could benefit from AQ investing some more time into to the firmware implementation. Two posts up somebody mentioned that the nature of iOS CCK connection is that it is always on. I would have to partially disagree with the implication of this comment.

The "consumption" of power is a function of the device that is being powered off of the phone, meaning that even if the connection is an always-on connection, the hardware on the other end of the CCK connection should be able to enter low-power states that reduce battery drain while still maintaining an active connection. I am certain that there is a problem with the DFR implementation but I'd like to know if even one person actually sees their DFR in the "red" standby state when plugged in to an iOS device, just to rule out a hardware fault.

My DFR never goes into red standby mode when my iPhone 6 goes to sleep.

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,205 of 5,077

All I can tell you is that I have 4 other devices that use the CCK and they all work the way the DFR works. It's a result of the CCK really never being meant for this sort of thing.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,206 of 5,077
I don't have any iDevices, but even my Samsung phone leaving a USB flash drive plugged in via OTG cable drains the battery. It's a symptom the of the tech and not specific to any one device.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,208 of 5,077
With usb player pro I can regulaze the volune of the amplifier lower and therefore reduce the hiss significantly with my dn 2000j! Maybe rooting the phone and installing some new kernel gives me more access to the volume control?

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,209 of 5,077
Just picked up a DFB from a local HiFi shop so far I'm impressed and I'm liking the sound of this thing. I bought it mainly to go with a cheap Windows tablet I as a semi-portable setup. Using it with Grado SR80, Soundmagigc E10, Fiio EM3, VE Monk I have to set the hardware volume in Windows to 15 to get a volume that doesn't deafen me, this thing is loud.

I've read all the comments about it not working properly with Android native apps but connected to my Galaxy S7E stock audio apps and Spotify played sound through the DFB and at around 75% [software] volume it was plenty loud enough. With UAPP I had to set the hardware volume setting to around 75% and then use the normal volume control for fine adjustment to get a safe volume.

I tried the DFR but the DFB sounded better to me when listening to Jazz, the DFR sounded better with Classical but as I prefer Jazz I went with the DFB. The DFB definitely seems to be good value for money. Not been playing with it for long but it doesn't seem to be having a massive drain on my tablet battery. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #1,210 of 5,077
The DFB sounds better than DFR on my exynos S7E (less harsh sound and warmer) with SE846 IEMs. Volume ususlly set to -75%.
I cannot find a decent equalizer. Everyone I tried so far impact volume or just sounds bad. I mostly listen to Spotify. I cannot root, so V4A, is out of question.

Can anyone suggest a good equlizer to play with Spotify.

Thanks

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #1,211 of 5,077
A month in and I'm enjoying my DFB immensely - about the only negative I can list is the absence of an external analog volume control, and that would look decidedly odd given the form factor. Others see the darker, relatively lush sound signature as a negative, but from my POV its just what the doctor ordered, particularly with modern recordings.

AQ clearly hit it out of the park releasing two affordable DACs instead of one at ~$300 (which seems to be the preferred option for many of the Dragonfly's competitors) - if this thread is any indication quite a few people have bought both so they can compare them side-by-side. I get that many have done this so they can send one back but it still nets AQ a sale - especially important in a market as competitive as the budget portable market has become. Would I consider 'upgrading' to the DFR ? Probably not - if I do spend any more money on toys my first priority will definitely be transducers over electronics - but that doesnt mean that other DFB owners wont get the urge at some stage. Upgraditis is one tough addiction to kick, and AQ clearly know that. As I said, clever marketing - kudos to Gordon and the rest of the team behind the DFB/DFR.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #1,213 of 5,077
  A month in and I'm enjoying my DFB immensely - about the only negative I can list is the absence of an external analog volume control, and that would look decidedly odd given the form factor. Others see the darker, relatively lush sound signature as a negative, but from my POV its just what the doctor ordered, particularly with modern recordings.

AQ clearly hit it out of the park releasing two affordable DACs instead of one at ~$300 (which seems to be the preferred option for many of the Dragonfly's competitors) - if this thread is any indication quite a few people have bought both so they can compare them side-by-side. I get that many have done this so they can send one back but it still nets AQ a sale - especially important in a market as competitive as the budget portable market has become. Would I consider 'upgrading' to the DFR ? Probably not - if I do spend any more money on toys my first priority will definitely be transducers over electronics - but that doesnt mean that other DFB owners wont get the urge at some stage. Upgraditis is one tough addiction to kick, and AQ clearly know that. As I said, clever marketing - kudos to Gordon and the rest of the team behind the DFB/DFR.

I am in love with the DFB as well. The only logical upgrade from the DFB/DFR would be the Chord Mojo for me. I've heard that piece of magic and it is fantastic, but multiple the price of the DF products.
The fact we don't have a second volume slider is a plus imho, that way they keep things simple and clean.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,214 of 5,077
What iOS player should I use for automatic hz switching in the Dragonfly?
tried vlc, no luck.

HF Player by Onkyo. You may want to make the $10 in app purchase to unlock the higher sample rate files and flac. As HF Player can access your iTunes files, I compared the stock music app to HF Player comparing Apple Lossles files. I can easily hear that HF Player sounds better. Bigger sound stage, more instrument separation, cleaner than the stock music app. I don't know what Onkyo is doing but it reminds me of Audirvana player on a Mac compared to iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back