New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 23, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #1,186 of 5,077
Tested with huawei and samsung tablets and I dont have volume control. I guess if you want to use these dragonflies without 3rd party app, apple is the best way to go.
frown.gif

I assume that volume control is working from a laptop/PC ? I have no problem using the volume control on my Lenovo tablet - it may simply be the way Huawei and Samsung have implented USB audio on their tablets. The main Android DAC thread should have a mountain of info on Samsung devices - if others are able to control the volume from those devices, you may have a defective Dragonfly but diagnosis from afar is always a tricky business.

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,187 of 5,077
I have a $30 gift card on Amazon and nothing I want to buy. I am considering refunding my DFB and grabbing the DFR for $170 free ship no tax from one of the sellers on there.  My question is, I also bought Jitterbug and I think it does benefit DFB some, but if I am spending that kind of money, I would like to think I don't need Jitterbug anymore, which would bring the DFR price for me down to $120... 

Just curious what you guys think, just stick with Jitterbug and DFB?  (I do like warmer sounding DAC's and I read DFB is warmer than DFR), is this true? I know for a fact its either the Red or Black for me though, because I do not like my Schiit Stack v2, it sounds to harsh compared to DFB.

(fyi this will be my home and mobile dac/amp, I am traveling Europe for a year so am on laptop only setup)

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #1,188 of 5,077
  I have a $30 gift card on Amazon and nothing I want to buy. I am considering refunding my DFB and grabbing the DFR for $170 free ship no tax from one of the sellers on there.  My question is, I also bought Jitterbug and I think it does benefit DFB some, but if I am spending that kind of money, I would like to think I don't need Jitterbug anymore, which would bring the DFR price for me down to $120... 

Just curious what you guys think, just stick with Jitterbug and DFB?  (I do like warmer sounding DAC's and I read DFB is warmer than DFR), is this true? I know for a fact its either the Red or Black for me though, because I do not like my Schiit Stack v2, it sounds to harsh compared to DFB.

(fyi this will be my home and mobile dac/amp, I am traveling Europe for a year so am on laptop only setup)

TBH the DFR doesn't need the Jitterbug. It's nice, I'm sure, but the signal it puts out is VERY clean regardless of source.

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #1,189 of 5,077

TBH the DFR doesn't need the Jitterbug. It's nice, I'm sure, but the signal it puts out is VERY clean regardless of source.

Awesome. Well that answers my question then, I am looking at DFR for only $120 out of pocket.  Done deal, thanks man.

Edit:  and honestly the black sticking out of the jitterbug and the jitterbug sticking out of laptop was just an eye sore, lol

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #1,190 of 5,077
I'm new to the forum. Just recently picked up a Dragonfly Red to use with my iPhone 6s Plus and a pair of Denon AH-MM400s. The sound is amazing but I am finding that the Red is massively draining my battery. If I just leave it plugged in, doing nothing, it appears to drain the battery some 4%-6% per hour. This is completely passive drain. The device says that it has a standby state where the Dragonfly LED should be red, but mine is always magenta, even if there is nothing playing back, all apps are shut off, and the phone is in airplane mode. With playback I would say that my drain is at least 10% per hour if not more. That's very high.

I'm using the new Lightning to USB 3 adapter, so I do have the ability to charge and playback at the same time, but the reason why I got the Red was because it is supposed to have a low battery drain and is very portable. I did not realize that I'd need to have the device on a charger for long listening sessions or for that matter any listening sessions.

Any thoughts? Am I looking at a defective Red? Should the standby be activating? Is everyone's behaving the same and what kind of battery drain is everyone seeing?

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #1,191 of 5,077
I'm new to the forum. Just recently picked up a Dragonfly Red to use with my iPhone 6s Plus and a pair of Denon AH-MM400s. The sound is amazing but I am finding that the Red is massively draining my battery. If I just leave it plugged in, doing nothing, it appears to drain the battery some 4%-6% per hour. This is completely passive drain. The device says that it has a standby state where the Dragonfly LED should be red, but mine is always magenta, even if there is nothing playing back, all apps are shut off, and the phone is in airplane mode. With playback I would say that my drain is at least 10% per hour if not more. That's very high.

I'm using the new Lightning to USB 3 adapter, so I do have the ability to charge and playback at the same time, but the reason why I got the Red was because it is supposed to have a low battery drain and is very portable. I did not realize that I'd need to have the device on a charger for long listening sessions or for that matter any listening sessions.

Any thoughts? Am I looking at a defective Red? Should the standby be activating? Is everyone's behaving the same and what kind of battery drain is everyone seeing?

I don't mean to come off as rude, but its such a tiny thing, why not just remove it altogether when not using it?

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #1,192 of 5,077
I think you missed my point. Of course I can disconnect it when I'm not using it. What I want to understand is why the battery drain is so high even when the device is in "standby" (or is that perhaps the problem because it seemingly never goes into standby pointing to a firmware bug?). High standby battery drain means that active battery drain is even worse. Reading through the last 15 pages or so of this thread I can see a number of complaints related to battery life of iOS devices when paired with the DFR. This is not what I was expecting at all. Unfortunately not a single shop in town, including the one where I bought my DFR actually allows returns. I also don't want to return my DFR, but if this drain is for real then the device desparately needs some firmware love (which too conincidentally seems to be an issue seeing as AQ still did not release a desktop application for the DF devices).

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #1,193 of 5,077
Just tested the sfb plugged via otg into my samsung s6. With the sine everything alright but playing with my sensitive iem, the dunu2000j, there is notable hiss in quiet environments.. more than playing directly through the s6 jack.... I bought the dfb in my hope to get a black background with my iem.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,196 of 5,077
I think you missed my point. Of course I can disconnect it when I'm not using it. What I want to understand is why the battery drain is so high even when the device is in "standby" (or is that perhaps the problem because it seemingly never goes into standby pointing to a firmware bug?). High standby battery drain means that active battery drain is even worse. Reading through the last 15 pages or so of this thread I can see a number of complaints related to battery life of iOS devices when paired with the DFR. This is not what I was expecting at all. Unfortunately not a single shop in town, including the one where I bought my DFR actually allows returns. I also don't want to return my DFR, but if this drain is for real then the device desparately needs some firmware love (which too conincidentally seems to be an issue seeing as AQ still did not release a desktop application for the DF devices).

What device powered by the phone itself are you comparing it to that doesn't drain battery life? This is just the nature of devices that get their power through the CCK.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #1,197 of 5,077
What device powered by the phone itself are you comparing it to that doesn't drain battery life? This is just the nature of devices that get their power through the CCK.
I'm not comparing it to any device. It's a question about the DFR, and the experience others have had with it and iOS devices. Perhaps I need to rephrase my question all-together.

Seeing as the DFR obviously drains the battery excessively on iOS devices, can those that have the DFR with an iOS device tell me if their LED is ever red colour (not magenta) when the DFR is plugged in and no music is playing? I want to know if I have a defective DFR, or whether I should hammer on AQ support to release new firmware.

Having said that, if I really want to draw a comparison, let's use the Cipher DAC as comparison. I have used the Audeze Sine with the Cipher cable and the active drain increases by maybe 1%-2% more per hour at maximum, contrasting with the DFR that drains about 10x more than Cipher per hour when actively listening. It really makes me think the DFR is unnecessarily sucking down battery, and to make matters worse, it even does it while "idling" by seemingly incorrrectly implementing standby that never actually kicks in.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,198 of 5,077
I'm not comparing it to any device. It's a question about the DFR, and the experience others have had with it and iOS devices. Perhaps I need to rephrase my question all-together.

Seeing as the DFR obviously drains the battery excessively on iOS devices, can those that have the DFR with an iOS device tell me if their LED is ever red colour (not magenta) when the DFR is plugged in and no music is playing? I want to know if I have a defective DFR, or whether I should hammer on AQ support to release new firmware.

The nature of the CCK connection doesn't allow for a standby mode. It's either off, connecting or on. Don't think there's anything that AQ can do about this that wouldn't be a worse solution than just unplugging it.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #1,199 of 5,077

Having said that, if I really want to draw a comparison, let's use the Cipher DAC as comparison. I have used the Audeze Sine with the Cipher cable and the active drain increases by maybe 1%-2% more per hour at maximum, contrasting with the DFR that drains about 10x more than Cipher per hour when actively listening. It really makes me think the DFR is unnecessarily sucking down battery, and to make matters worse, it even does it while "idling" by seemingly incorrrectly implementing standby that never actually kicks in.

With Apple if you forget to disconnect the dfr it continues to drain battery, the screen becomes slightly less bright when dfr is in use on an iPhone. I guess the color change might be from the brightness dropping a bit. I returned my dfr, too many issues, wether it was the dfr or just the way it interfaces with Apple either way didn't work for me.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,200 of 5,077
I think someone else made a similar observation several pages back re 'excessive' battery drain on their iDevice with one of the new Dragonfly's - it prompted me to check my own battery life and I'm confident that I can get 10+ hours from my Lenovo tablet with volume at max into the DFB+NX2 chain. A 4500 mAh battery roughly twice the size of an iPhone probably doesnt hurt, but its all I can offer at this juncture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back