New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 28, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #1,231 of 5,077
Not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere but if you are on Android and your phone is rooted you can install Alsa Mixer to adjust the DFB internal hardware volume. I couldn't find the right setting in the GUI version of Alsa Mixer but I was able to set it using a terminal emulator and command line. On my Samsung Galaxy S5 the internal hardware volume seems to default to 44. The only problem with this method is that the volume defaulted back to 44 on reboot and on unplugging/re-plugging the DFB so the commands had to be re-entered.

After installing Alsa Mixer open up a terminal emulator window and get root by typing 'su'.

Find your DFB by entering the command 'alsa_aplay -l' this will give you a list of the audio devices on the phone, my DFB was identified as Card 1.

Check the current levels by entering the command 'alsa_amixer -c1 contents' the one you're interested in is PCM volume which on mine had the numid=2 and a value=44.

Change the hardware volume by entering the command 'alsa_amixer -c1 cset numid=2 64' this will set the internal hardware to the maximum of 64 you can set any value between 0 and 64. The "-c1" relates to Card 1 which you found when you used the 'alsa_aplay -l' command if yours is a different card then use that number instead.

The hardware volume controls still work but the range from high to low is different and reflects the value you entered as the hardware volume.

Alsa Mixer will only work on rooted phones, I've only tested this on a rooted Galaxy S5 so I can't guarantee it will work on your device. The new volume levels work across all native apps including spotify, google music, YouTube etc. I only have a DFB so don't know if this will work with the DFR.

***EDIT***

Just tried this on my rooted Moto G (3rd Gen 2015) and have the exact same results, the DFB internal hardware volume defaults to 44 on this as well. Sitting here with K702 plugged in listening to spotify, can't turn the volume up to max as it's now too loud.

IVE BEEN WAITING FOR A POST LIKE THIS. IM SO EXCITED CANT WAIT TO TRY. Capslock end. UAPP is a pain in the ass

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,233 of 5,077
In your case it is numid=3 that is the 'PCM Playback Volume' so you would need 'alsa_amixer -c1 cset numid=3 64' , numid=2 is 1 or 0 in your case.

On my S5 it is numid=2 but on the Moto G it is numid=3.

On my Moto G3 if the DFB is connected on powering on then it becomes card 0 so '-c0'.

It looks like the switch varied from phone to phone.

If in doubt use 'alsa_amixer -c1 cset name='PCM Playback Volume' 64' and see if that works.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,235 of 5,077
zuperdac vs dragonfly red dacs review
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/Y6jhO3DifCE[/VIDEO]
https://youtu.be/Y6jhO3DifCE

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,237 of 5,077
zuperdac vs dragonfly red dacs review
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/Y6jhO3DifCE[/VIDEO]
https://youtu.be/Y6jhO3DifCE

My DFR was a bit ear fatiguing at first. But after two weeks of heavy use that has gone away. Seems smoother and airier in the highs. Could you explain what you thought was weird about the sound? If not, maybe you could tell us what part of it was weird, i.e. bass mids or highs.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,238 of 5,077
em probably not, just overall sound didn't have as much bass as I want cause it's 1 ohm amp, zuperdac is 4 ohms means more bass, usually, but if you don't get ear fatigue from DFR then it's for you, I get ear fatigue from it and better sound quality wasn't worth it for me compared to zuperdac being 2.5 times cheaper and DFR 2.5 times more expensive than zuperdac. it's 120 euro more to pay and zuperdac is 80 euro and refurbished zuperdac dac are 45 euro sold by zorloo on zorloo website. and I'm not a fan of bright leds on dacs distract from music, and listening to mp3 flax 1000 Kbps is all same green led including mp3s makes no difference to me it doesn't indicate anything only distracts from music especially in evenings, night. zuperdac led is as I like not illuminating room and is there if I look at it to see if it's on.

it's sold so and I won't use it long enough for it not being ear fatiguing cause I had enough of ear fatigue as is, but use it if you like it, everyone like their own stuff, it's my use.

but DFR is a lot better in detail but overall I don't like it being too ear fatiguing is main among other

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,240 of 5,077
em probably not, just overall sound didn't have as much bass as I want cause it's 1 ohm amp, zuperdac is 4 ohms means more bass, usually, but if you don't get ear fatigue from DFR then it's for you, I get ear fatigue from it and better sound quality wasn't worth it for me compared to zuperdac being 2.5 times cheaper and DFR 2.5 times more expensive than zuperdac. it's 120 euro more to pay and zuperdac is 80 euro and refurbished zuperdac dac are 45 euro sold by zorloo on zorloo website. and I'm not a fan of bright leds on dacs distract from music, and listening to mp3 flax 1000 Kbps is all same green led including mp3s makes no difference to me it doesn't indicate anything only distracts from music especially in evenings, night. zuperdac led is as I like not illuminating room and is there if I look at it to see if it's on.

it's sold so and I won't use it long enough for it not being ear fatiguing cause I had enough of ear fatigue as is, but use it if you like it, everyone like their own stuff, it's my use.

but DFR is a lot better in detail but overall I don't like it being too ear fatiguing is main among other

Fair enough. Thanks. By the way, your MP3 files will always display green, no matter the bit rate, because MP3 is always 44,100 Hz.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,241 of 5,077
listening to the DFR with the HD800 right now, and while it's bright, it's not offensively bright.  Honestly it's less bright than the Magni or Vali for me, with most headphones.  To me the DFR is pretty neutral.  It's got a touch of high order harmonic distortion, that I think people are confusing with treble.  But it's pretty slight and only noticeable when I compare it to vastly superior gear.  To me the DFB isn't more bassy, it's just congested and lacks dynamics, which, I think people are confusing for being bassy.  Just my opinion tho.

To me:

DFR: Bigger soundstage, more dynamic, better bass and treble extension, lower distortion but a bit too much of it is in the higher orders, more transparent, completely neutral in a frequency response sense
DFB: more congested, less dynamics, more distortion but more centered around lower ordered harmonics, less transparent, completely neutral in a frequency response sense

I think the lack of dynamics and the low order harmonic distortion can make for a smoother listen for the DFB.  But I think the idea that the DFR is brighter and the DFB has more bass quantity is not right.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,242 of 5,077
listening to the DFR with the HD800 right now, and while it's bright, it's not offensively bright.  Honestly it's less bright than the Magni or Vali for me, with most headphones.  To me the DFR is pretty neutral.  It's got a touch of high order harmonic distortion, that I think people are confusing with treble.  But it's pretty slight and only noticeable when I compare it to vastly superior gear.  To me the DFB isn't more bassy, it's just congested and lacks dynamics, which, I think people are confusing for being bassy.  Just my opinion tho.

To me:

DFR: Bigger soundstage, more dynamic, better bass and treble extension, lower distortion, but a bit too much of it is in the higher orders, completely neutral in a frequency response sense
DFB: more congested, less dynamics, more distortion but more centered around lower ordered harmonics, completely neutral in a frequency response sense

I think the lack of dynamics and the low order harmonic distortion can make for a smoother listen for the DFB.  But I think the idea that the DFR is brighter and the DFB has more bass quantity is not right.

Only thing with the hd800 and the dfr is the sound becomes very thin and extended highs making it offensive or harsh for some people, including myself. The hd800 is very revealing headphone with great range with other DAC/amps while sound is also a bit lacking in bass also with the dfr. I definitely did not consider this a good match with the hd800 compared to the chord mojo or chord dave. Especially since there is a very big difference in sound with this particular headphone and it's not a portable headphone.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,243 of 5,077
Only thing with the hd800 and the dfr is the sound becomes very thin and extended highs making it offensive or harsh for some people, including myself. The hd800 is very revealing headphone with great range with other DAC/amps while sound is also a bit lacking in bass also with the dfr. I definitely did not consider this a good match with the hd800 compared to the chord mojo or chord dave. Especially since there is a very big difference in sound with this particular headphone and it's not a portable headphone.

Sure, but I don't understand why we are comparing it to the Chord mojo and Dave. I mean it's not as good as my iDAC6 Torpedo III setup either.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,244 of 5,077
Sure, but I don't understand why we are comparing it to the Chord mojo and Dave. I mean it's not as good as my iDAC6 Torpedo III setup either.

You choose to compare it with a home headphone, not exactly an on the go headphone. Plus if you can afford a better DAC/amp why choose one not as good. Even with home audio you match a hifi speaker with poor DAC preamp or amp and the sound is poor and the hifi speaker reveals how poor the source is but if you match a decent low end speaker with great DAC preamp and amp it will sound better. So for people to spend 1,000 on headphone and 100 on dac amp doesn't give the headphone a chance and everyone keeps upgrading headphones. Get a better source, spend at least half the headphone on your source if you want to give your headphone a chance.

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #1,245 of 5,077
You choose to compare it with a home headphone, not exactly an on the go headphone. Plus if you can afford a better DAC/amp why choose one not as good. Even with home audio you match a hifi speaker with poor DAC preamp or amp and the sound is poor and the hifi speaker reveals how poor the source is but if you match a decent low end speaker with great DAC preamp and amp it will sound better. So for people to spend 1,000 on headphone and 100 on dac amp doesn't give the headphone a chance and everyone keeps upgrading headphones. Get a better source, spend at least half the headphone on your source if you want to give your headphone a chance.

I can walk around the house with the DFR and it sounds quite good.  As much as I love the iDAC6 - Torpedo III combo, I can't do laundry with it.  

My point in bringing up the HD800 - DFR combo wasn't to say it's an ideal pairing, so much as to say that in my opinion I think the brightness of the DFR is overblown.  If any headphone was going to show brightness, it would be the HD800.

I've also always thought "spend X% of your headphone cost" guidelines were silly.  The HD800 used to cost $1600.  Now it cost around $1000.  Does that mean that you can now get away with a cheaper amp?  Do I need a better amp with an LCD4 than I need with an HD800S?  On the other side, the HD650 is about $350 right now, which according to your 50% guideline would mean $175 on source + amp.  I don't know any way to bring out the best in the HD650 for less than $600 (amp + DAC).

Plus, the headphone is 90% of the equation easily.  Assuming the amp has enough power to make the headphone loud enough, the better headphone is going to beat the better system every time.

Buy a headphone you like, buy an amp you like with that headphone, buy a DAC you like with that headphone and amp, in that order; don't worry about what percentage of your budget goes into each; do your research and make smart purchases that fit your budget.  My m9XX with my HD800 runs laps around my HE400i with a Yggy/Ragnorak.  Does the HD800 sound better out of the iDAC6 Torpedo II setup?  sure.  But the setup was the last bit of perfection.  The HD800 did the vast bulk of the carrying, and sounds quite good out of even the humble DFR.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back